News   Jul 16, 2024
 740     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 617     0 

Places to grow intensification targets

Memph

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is about how every city in the Greater Golden Horseshoe will have to accomodate will have to accomodate at least 40% of its growth within the built area. So far, between 2006 and 2011, it seems to have been much less than that for most of the 905.

I've made some estimates for several suburbs on how much of the population growth has been in the form of intensification by looking at how much of the growth has been at the edge of the cities.

About 82% of the growth Markham has seen in between the last two censi has been North of 16th Ave and West of Ninth Line and West of Middlefield. That means about 18% of the growth has been intensification, much less than the 40% it's supposed to be. Other suburbs aren't much different.

Mississauga: 34-51%*
Richmond Hill: 20%
Markham: 18%
Vaughan: 10%
Brampton: 7%

*depends on if you include the growth around East Credit/Hurontario as intensification. Much of the growth there has been greenfield single family, but the area is also hemmed in by development.

Many of the smaller suburbs like Milton, Oakville, Aurora, etc have probably seen even less intensification, in fact, some might have seen negative growth within the built area (looks to be the case for Milton). In addition, much of the intensification that has occured was in the form of greenfield development, like Markham Centre or the Markham Galleria area (West of Beaver Creek). Municipalities will only have to meet the 40% intensification targets starting in 2015, and I suspect much of the greenfield development that has occured in the last 5 years was approved before Places to Grow.

What I'm wondering is, what will happen when the 905 will have to start meeting these intensification requirements, and the greenfields within the urbanized area start getting filled up? By my rough calculations, if the 905 continues to intensify slowly like it has so far, and it will only be able to have 1.5 times that amount of growth outside the urbanized area, the 905 will see growth slow considerably, especially places like Brampton, Milton or Aurora. If all that extra growth went to Toronto, it would be growing by about 400-500,000 people per decade, more than double what is forecasted (500,000 from 2006-2011). So what will happen? Downtown parking lots are filling up very fast. Will Toronto have to intensify more than expected, perhaps upzoning many single family neighbourhoods around transit? Or will the suburbs intensify considerably more than they have so far? Or a combination?

Personally, I think many suburbs will grow much slower. Many of them have rather high densities already compared to the outer 416. Mississauga has about as much density as Scarborough and Etobicoke, so although it has room to intensify, I'm not sure intensification will make as much sense there as in the 416. Other 905 suburbs are less dense than Mississauga, but many, like Brampton or Milton are pretty built out with single family with fewer good intensification areas like the Hurontario or Highway 7 corridor in other suburbs, so intensification will be more difficult since it might involve upzoning single family neighbourhoods. Pickering has seen almost no growth (less than 1000 people) since the greenfield developments in Seaton have basically been put on hold.

Milton is supposed to grow a ton, but will it be able to do so with the intensification targets? It has a population of about 95,000 today, but is supposed to have more than 200,000 people by 2031. Wouldn't that mean something like 40,000 people would have to be accomodated in an area that will have around 120,000 by 2015? Downtown Milton's growth target is about 25,000 people and jobs, which would occur mostly on the brownfields East of downtown around the GO station. From my understanding, that means most of the rest of the growth would have to occur either in the form of redevelopment of the new industrial/warehouse areas around the 401, or the redevelopment of "stable residential neighbourhoods", because there aren't really any other brownfields, greyfields or greenfields.

Also, does anyone know if the intensification will only count towards the targets if it occurs in the area urbanized by 2015? Or would intensification in 2025 that occured in areas urbanized say in 2020 (but which were greenfields in 2015) count as well?

Just as a random quick stat, but Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge are also included in the GGHA Places to Grow targets. In the past year, the Region of Waterloo is at 53% currently. The information was a stat used at the Central Transit Corridor Community Building Strategy Launch two Saturdays ago.

Pickering doesn't need to grow more because, frankly, ~98000 people living in this hole of a town is bad enough. /hate-on for P-Town

Regardless of what happens outside of Toronto, I think Toronto should intensify more than expected anyway. I'm sorry but the problems of poor transportation infrastructure (by which I mostly mean mass transit), poor built form, and destruction of VERY GOOD arable land are of such seriousness that outward expansion needs to be kept to a minimum. I know it's a bit late for that, but inner city living should be encouraged by whichever means possible.

Just as a random quick stat, but Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge are also included in the GGHA Places to Grow targets. In the past year, the Region of Waterloo is at 53% currently. The information was a stat used at the Central Transit Corridor Community Building Strategy Launch two Saturdays ago.
Is there anything on that 53% figure online? And is that 53% of new units or new residents?

I have to say I'm pretty skeptical that Waterloo Region has been intensifying that much. The intensification of Kitchener and Cambridge has been very small from 2006-2011 compared to the greenfield development in Fiddlesticks, North Hespeller, Huron Park, along Ira Needles/Erbsville and along the Grand River. It's only in central Waterloo that there have been a large amount of new units, but the official population of central Waterloo, which doesn't include temporary residents (students) has actually decreased significantly. All in all, it looks like population growth within the built area might have actually been negative when looking at permanent residents.

About 82% of the growth Markham has seen in between the last two censi has been North of 16th Ave and West of Ninth Line and West of Middlefield. That means about 18% of the growth has been intensification, much less than the 40% it's supposed to be. Other suburbs aren't much different.

Do you mean east of Ninth Line? Much of what is west of Ninth Line has been part of Markham since the 60s or earlier.

Do you have more detailed numbers? Markham is a bit unique in that much of its "intensification" is on centrally located greenfield sites like at Warden and 7. This is technically intensification since it's within the current urban area. In terms of "true redevelopment," like adding condos where strip malls once existed, that is happening slowly (World on Yonge, 68 Main Street, etc.), but it just makes more sense for developers to focus on greenfields within the existing urban area first, since many of them have been sitting on the land for 40 or 50 years, whereas they would have to buy slices of land in existing areas at market prices. Higher densities will be achieved through higher targets for new developments at first, with redevelopment to follow.

Do you mean east of Ninth Line? Much of what is west of Ninth Line has been part of Markham since the 60s or earlier.

Do you have more detailed numbers? Markham is a bit unique in that much of its "intensification" is on centrally located greenfield sites like at Warden and 7. This is technically intensification since it's within the current urban area. In terms of "true redevelopment," like adding condos where strip malls once existed, that is happening slowly (World on Yonge, 68 Main Street, etc.), but it just makes more sense for developers to focus on greenfields within the existing urban area first, since many of them have been sitting on the land for 40 or 50 years, whereas they would have to buy slices of land in existing areas at market prices. Higher densities will be achieved through higher targets for new developments at first, with redevelopment to follow.

Yeah, I meant East of Ninth Line.

I basically broke Markham up into 7 areas, which grew as follows...

North Markham (N of 16th, S of Major Mac): 11,266
Victoria Square-Cornell (N of Major Mac, E of Ninth): 10,804
Box Grove (E of Middlefield, S of 407): 10,713
7-407 Corridor (S of Hwy 7, N of 407, plus a small subdivision around Miliken Meadows Dr due to the shape of the Census Tracts): 5,971
Central Markham (S of 16th, N of Hwy 7): 820
Miliken (S of 407, E of Woodbine, W of Middlefield, minus Miliken Meadows subdivision): 712
Thornhill (S of 407, W of Woodbine): -210

That gives about 82% of growth in the outer areas of Markham that shouldn't really count as intensification.

One area that is struggling to meet its Places to Grow goals is the Niagara Region. The tri-cities (St Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls) are pretty much stagnant and have been for a while. St Catharines has no where left to grow (and there's not much demand for intensification) and is bordered entirely by the green belt. Niagara Falls and Welland's economies have soured (and in the case of Welland pretty much collapsed) and lean heavily on the tourism industry.

What's interesting about the Places to Grow plan is that Welland has a special unique designation as a "Gateway Economic Centre" yet the city has done little to leverage that designation.

Municipalities don't have to start meeting targets yet

A key policy in the Growth Plan is the establishment of an intensification target, which specifies that by 2015 and each year thereafter, a minimum of 40 per cent of new residential development will occur within the built-up areas of each upper- or single- tier municipality [Growth Plan Policy 2.2.3.1].

Is there anything on that 53% figure online? And is that 53% of new units or new residents?

I have to say I'm pretty skeptical that Waterloo Region has been intensifying that much. The intensification of Kitchener and Cambridge has been very small from 2006-2011 compared to the greenfield development in Fiddlesticks, North Hespeller, Huron Park, along Ira Needles/Erbsville and along the Grand River. It's only in central Waterloo that there have been a large amount of new units, but the official population of central Waterloo, which doesn't include temporary residents (students) has actually decreased significantly. All in all, it looks like population growth within the built area might have actually been negative when looking at permanent residents.
It was said by Rob Horne, Commissioner, Planning, Housing and Community Service of the Region of Waterloo. Said at around the 17 minute mark in this video: http://video.region.waterloo.on.ca/rapidtransit/rtprojectlaunchevent24mar2012.wmv

Yeah, I meant East of Ninth Line.

I basically broke Markham up into 7 areas, which grew as follows...

North Markham (N of 16th, S of Major Mac): 11,266
Victoria Square-Cornell (N of Major Mac, E of Ninth): 10,804
Box Grove (E of Middlefield, S of 407): 10,713
7-407 Corridor (S of Hwy 7, N of 407, plus a small subdivision around Miliken Meadows Dr due to the shape of the Census Tracts): 5,971
Central Markham (S of 16th, N of Hwy 7): 820
Miliken (S of 407, E of Woodbine, W of Middlefield, minus Miliken Meadows subdivision): 712
Thornhill (S of 407, W of Woodbine): -210

That gives about 82% of growth in the outer areas of Markham that shouldn't really count as intensification.

Interesting, thanks. Given most of what was built prior to 2000, this will mostly be a case of very dense new developments bringing up the overall average though. There has been extreme opposition to lot severances in existing areas. In a recent example, residents were complaining about 100 foot lots in an area where 120 is the norm (http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1305224--rouge-river-estates-lot-severance-supported). This is perhaps an extreme example, but even in other older parts of Markham, severance only seems to be allowed on massive lots (100+ foot frontage). Because of this, intensification will be mostly limited to the major corridors and the new regional centres like Markham Centre and Cornell Centre, which are mostly starting from a blank slate. Areas like Langstaff and Markville -- and to a lesser extent Markham Village and the outskirts of old Unionville -- would offer more true intensification though.

On the other hand, new development in out-of-the-way areas is getting very dense. Look at this one near Markham and Steeles: http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs...Services/pl111206/Forest Bay Homes Report.PDF It might eventually get a GO station if the line to Peterborough is developed, but otherwise it has very poor transit connections, and the plan is to add 42 singles, 194 semis, 416 "medium density units" and 358 "high-density units."

I guess my point is that for new homes you will essentially be left with the choice between a condo in a new "centre" or a townhouse on the outskirts with very few options in between (townhomes in the centres will continue to be very expensive and the price of new detached homes will continue to increase dramatically despite being built farther away from amenities). I'm not sure this means that intensification targets won't be met. In many ways, townhomes have become the new detached homes for families given that's what a family with an average income can afford in a good suburb these days.

All regional municipalities in the GGH are supposed to achieve at least 40% intensification within the 2006 defined Built Boundary by 2015. However, there is no comprehensive GGH Built Boundary resource that tracks development permits relative to the positioning of the Build Boundary. Therefore, there is really no way for the Province to enforce this requirement. Unfortunately, as is always the case with policy, it is about implementation and the policies in the Growth Plan are only as useful as the data that is available.

For the development and population cheerleaders I hate to say it but I see any slow-down in sprawl as meaning an eventual slow-down in the growth of the GTA overall. Personally I think that would be a good thing but to some that notion is so unthinkable it doesn't even register. Eventually all city regions reach a neutral population point. I think we are presently experiencing the first stage of this. Personally, I would prefer the GGH to slow population growth but raise quality of life and average standard of living indicators. Perhaps this idea is a pipe-dream. The reality will likely be continued sprawl, heaps of population growth, and lowering average standard of living indicators.

If we want to retard sprawl and encourage redevelopment in the historic centres of the 905 towns, it's imperative that we build real regional rail on the GO corridors as soon as possible. Those station sites will only become truly attractive for high-density development if there's frequent, all-day, fare-integrated rapid transit service.

I'm still amazed at how well we're doing, though. Many condo towers are going up in smaller city centres across the GGH. Kitchener-Waterloo is doing especially well in its intensification program, though there's still plenty of sprawl.

I agree than Waterloo is doing relatively well with intensification, with RED Condos, Westmount Grand, the Barrel Yards (multi tower), 144 Park and tons of student rentals under construction, but intensification doesn't seem to be moving as fast in Kitchener. From what I can tell, in Kitchener, there's just one or two municipal buildings U/C right now, plus the conversion of the Breihaupt lofts. As for the 905, I wonder if Op Art and Rain Condos would have been built if it weren't for Oakville GO. They're a bit outside of Midtown Oakville but still within walking distance. Burlington and Oakville's downtowns have been getting a fair bit of activity, it's not like MCC but there are one or two highrise projects active in each and several smaller apartments and urban townhouses. There's also a couple small office buildings proposed for downtown Oakville. I'm not too familiar with the other suburbs.

@CDL.TO, the built area definition is better than I expected, I thought the areas South of Major Mac would be considered all built but it looks like they appropriately left out some greenfields there. It looks like greenfields that are surrounded by development are considered part of the built area though (ex around Hurontario or Hwy 7).

@jn_12, well it's difficult to force areas to grow if the economy is not doing well. At least Niagara Region isn't expanding it's suburbs very significantly, which is something that can be stopped. Maybe with increasing oil prices the area will get a boost from greater use of the Welland Canal?

@canarob, it's true that a lot of the new stuff is pretty dense, but if the density is in isolated areas it will be difficult to bring quality transit and ammenities to them. Ideally most growth should be mostly around the Yonge and Hwy 7 corridors, and the GO stations. Is Cornell still growing? From google earth it seems like it's still far from build out but I haven't heard much from there recently.

@oh so it's regional municipalities, not cities that have to intensify by 40%... ie Milton can continue expanding if Oakville and Burlington densify. Regarding enforcement, aren't they looking for ways to measure growth?

Last edited:

Back