739     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 503     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 538     0 

Pitfield's Transportation Policy

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
If it's extended north, there's really no reason whatsoever to just go to Steeles other than "it's cheaper."

If you read the Steve Munro post that Mark is referencing, it was mainly a discussion of the upgrades and changes to Finch Station that would have to be done if we wanted to increase frequencies on the YUS line. Basically the argument was "if you're going to spend millions to rebuild Finch to allow for quick turn-around, it might be just as easy to extend it to Steeles and build a high-speed terminal there". Not really due to a conscious decision to just extend the line one stop... as such, taking it to Langstaff would be another issue altogether.

I've read it, but I still don't see the point of keeping it at Steeles where the property acquisition would be very expensive other than a desire to keep the subway in the 416 only.

Even extending just to Steeles would probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

You can keep the commuter parking lots and YRT/Go bus terminal at Finch, but build a small station at Steeles.

Even if you buy out the entire tiny block between Yonge, Steeles, Dumont, and Nipigon to build a TTC bus terminal, that's only 25 homes. TTC already has a small bus loop in it. At $500k a home, that's only $12.5m.

Some weekday parking could be acquired from Centrepoint Mall. The chunk closest to the proposed station is already used by a travelling carnival half the time.

If we build it today, I'd estimate the final cost to be at most $300m. The advantage is that we get really fast turnaround times, but we also reduce congestion on Yonge and pave the way for eventual extension to Langstaff.

BTW, speaking of Langstaff, the YRT terminal there and the GO station there desperately need a pedestrian walkway/tunnel across the tracks to connect to each other. The way things are right now, GO riders can't use a YRT terminal a stone's throw away.

Back