727     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 538     0 

Pitfield's Transportation Policy

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Proposing to demolish the Gardiner, put it underground and build a new subway line there at the same time would be some real vision.

Couldn't agree more, SD2. I can't understand why he wouldn't make that part of his platform. A DRL could be built incredibly cheaply as part of the Front Street Extension project. Altogether, they could build a DRL, and replace the Gardiner for probably a billion and a half. I am sure that, with sufficient pressure, higher levels of government would be willing to pay for it. Well, at least the provincial level.

-Aggressively promoting car pooling.

Currently: Please car pool

Under Pitfield: Please, please car pool.

Seriously, any Toronto mayor candidate who campaigns on the idea of 2km of subway line for the next 25 years in my opinion doesn't have the common sense to run for the job. I'd vote for that bum who usually runs vs someone who makes claims that everyone knows won't happen. If she said 2km of streetcar ROW, then fine, I'd believe it.

Proposing to demolish the Gardiner, put it underground and build a new subway line there at the same time would be some real vision.

On the same token you might as well do this in conjunction with either sinking or covering the rail lands as well. Selling airrights could offset some costs. Or convert a covered rail lands into Toronto's biggest parking lot.

Seriously, any Toronto mayor candidate who campaigns on the idea of 2km of subway line for the next 25 years in my opinion doesn't have the common sense to run for the job. .

On the contrary, its not the 2 km/year that's the problem. Its that she has ABSOLUTELY NO PLAN to pay for it. Its fine to have a bold plan for agressively expanding Toronto's public transit, but she's acting as if its possible to do this while cutting commercial tax rates.

Thats what I meant. Its crazy in today's environment to even suggest such a thing.

It'll never happen unless it's suggested by somebody. But we don't want 2km/year, we'll be happy with whatever they can manage - if it's not too much trouble, that is.

Even if it was suggested by somebody, it still wouldn't happen (see Spadina and Sheppard for details).

and sortof offtopic, but why can't the spadina extension be elevated over the industrial area instead of expensive tunneling?

It'll never happen unless it's suggested by somebody. But we don't want 2km/year, we'll be happy with whatever they can manage - if it's not too much trouble, that is.

Because she is spewing off what seems as random solutions that are both not Feesible or believeable, her suggesting it in my opinion is no better than a fringe canditate making ridiculous promises. If it were possible, I would have no issue with it.

Doesnt the city have a $1 billion dollar windfall from HydroOne? if so she could take the provincial money for spadina and would have enough to do about 2 km a year until her 4th year in office. by then everyone would buy into it for re-election even thought there'd be no money left.

"why can't the spadina extension be elevated over the industrial area instead of expensive tunneling?"

Because if it's cheaper, it might actually get built.

"Because if it's cheaper, it might actually get built."
Yay, now I can devote the rest of my life into getting an elevated subway for Toronto...

A subway extension which would help the Yonge line according to Steve Munro would be Finch-Steeles. At the moment he says the end track layout means it's not possible to push through trains faster than about every 2 minutes. The terminal tracks could be redesigned but the alternative would be to push on to Steeles, build a fast terminal layout and avoid the need for the BRT.

www.stevemunro.ca/?p=247

Sorbara would probably insist on going on into 905 though :(

Sorbara would probably insist on going on into 905 though

Why not? There's nothing at Steeles other than an aging mall. The big advantage of the Finch terminal is that there's a massive amount of government-owned land in the hydro corridor where you can build bus terminals and parking lots. If you go up to Steeles, you'd have to rebuild all those facilities on land bought at great cost from private owners. If you go up to the Highway 7 area, there's another big patch of government-owned land. Of course, that hardly makes sense when compared to the York U/VCC extension which would boost ridership on an underused (as opposed to overcrowded) line and serve much larger ride generators in York U and the proposed corporate centre. York alone has a lot more people than Centrepoint and everything north.

Back