Hamilton Pier 8 Redevelopment | 147m | 45s | Cityzen | Omar Gandhi

Interesting to see some of the renderings from the planning application documents and the project website. Some of the renderings include the tower and some don't
Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.39.17.png
Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.39.59.png
pier8-vertical.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.39.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.39.17.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.39.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.39.59.png
    853.9 KB · Views: 19
  • pier8-hero.jpg
    pier8-hero.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 13
This is going to be decades until completion, but I'd love to see it sooner. It's so barren down there. Would be nice if even started some of the buildings with rentals and such if nobody wants to buy. The buildings are small enough that the risk should be fairly low.

Actually, that would be a good idea especially on the eastern end with views of heavy industry. They could do a nice mix of condo ond purpose built rentals. I do think there is a significant demand for the area given the super limited supply of waterfront communities in Hamilton proper.

A plan for a 45-storey tower at Hamilton's west harbour is the target of a resident's appeal to the province's land-dispute tribunal.
The lakeside skyscraper “ignores and abandons” a previous community-informed vision for more modest “gentle-density” development in the area, Scott Patterson argues in his application to the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT).
As such, the tower plan is a “classic 'bait and switch' without any regard” for the city's years-long Setting Sail planning exercise for the North End, he contends.

What a complete cluster fudge. This has already taken a ridiculous amount of time and taxpayers money. This will ensure another year plus of delay.

I've come around on this tower at this point because I'd just like to see something get built, and I don't think it will be too bad, so I'm bothered by this further slow down, but I still think they should just add the units to the other buildings. I'm betting this will ge thrown out quickly though.

It's a residents appeal, so it usually gets thrown out quickly once the resident realizes that mounting a full appeal can cost 6+ figures in consultants, etc.

Every once and a while they get well funded enough to do a full appeal hearing though.. (175 Cummer in Toroto, anyone? @HousingNowTO ) - but usually the appeals get tossed fairly quickly as the appellant withdraws.

When you consider that consortium won this back in 2018, completely missed the massive bull market in condo
This team was announced as the winner today.

Cityzen/Fernbrook Homes w. KPMB, Superkul, Omar Gandhi & GH3: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/proponent-waterfront-shores
Just bringing this forward. 5.5 years since award . I am assuming it has cost the developers nothing substanital in 5 years to hold their deposit with the City while they spin forever. I am sure they are more than a bit peeved to see how much of a bull housing market they missed, including peak values back in late '21 early '22 (plus all that cheap financing is now gone).

Last edited:

Back