News   Nov 18, 2019
 872     5 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 471     5 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 557     1 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
That would be quite expensive for most of Canada.
We aren't talking about most of Canada. We are talking about specific highly trafficked corridors....incidentally which also have a fair bit of air traffic. The Corridor is the highest density of air traffic and most profitable aviation market in Canada. Calgary-Edmonton is close behind that. And both of these markets are most certainly candidates for intercity rail investment in some form (HPR/HFR, HSR, Commuter Rail, etc.)

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
We aren't talking about most of Canada. We are talking about specific highly trafficked corridors....incidentally which also have a fair bit of air traffic. The Corridor is the highest density of air traffic and most profitable aviation market in Canada. Calgary-Edmonton is close behind that. And both of these markets are most certainly candidates for intercity rail investment in some form (HPR/HFR, HSR, Commuter Rail, etc.)
You are missing my point. For example I live in Sudbury. There is a train to Toronto. Now, if the cost were the same as airfare, then more people might take it. However the schedule is a whole other thing.

I seriously think Canada needs to invest in passenger rail before a dime is spent on another airport in Toronto area.

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
You are missing my point. For example I live in Sudbury. There is a train to Toronto. Now, if the cost were the same as airfare, then more people might take it. However the schedule is a whole other thing.

I seriously think Canada needs to invest in passenger rail before a dime is spent on another airport in Toronto area.
Not going to happen. There's so business case for regular rail service to places like Sudbury. At least not by VIA. Arguably, in such circumstances, we're better off using air service. What we should be doing is reducing the number of corridor flights to hopefully create room at Pearson for more services to places like Sudbury.