557     0 

Petition to rename the Rogers Centre to Rogers Skydome

Yay or Nay

• Rogers Skydome

Votes: 57 93.4%
  • Rogers CEntre

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
As much as I hate to say it, it's not going to happen. The quick and dirty renaming of SkyDome was done purposely, to eliminate all reference to the Dome, which as a descriptor would have entered common useage ("the Dome").

And the apologists for Rogers (like Marko above) - as I hate to say that too - are correct. They bought it, they can name it what they want. Still the way it went down, with that [unprintable] Godfrey mixed up in it at both ends, still angers me.

Ballparks are by tradition never called Centres. They're usually called fields (Turner Field, Progressive Field, Wrigley Field), parks (Fenway Park, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Comerica Park) or stadiums (Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Busch Stadium). Even other completely enclosed stadiums are not called "centres" - that is reserved as an alternate name for arenas, especially multi-purpose arenas (hockey, basketball, concerts).

Should it have been called Rogers SkyDome, or even Rogers Dome? Yes, I think so. It would have been respectful, but it wouldn't force their corporate identity down our throats. It's not even easily shortened, like the ACC, which is how most people call that facility. But even 'Rogers Field' would have been at least a nod to the tradition of naming baseball/football venues. "Rogers Centre" is crass (and still so, like the silly addition of a statue in front in honour of Ted), so it's still SkyDome for me.

You know, I was thinking that a petition to change the name to put Dome back in it would be a waste of time - Rogers is like the honey badger as thetigermaster said. But if enough people petitioned them to change it to something like Rogers Park or Rogers Field, there might actually be a chance of them being receptive.

But I think people have to accept that the name SkyDome, and any reference to Dome in the name, is D-E-D dead. In an official sense anyway.

Now should a Downtown Relief Line have a station near the currently named "Rogers Centre", what would the TTC call it? "SkyDome" or "Rogers Centre"? Would Rogers have to pay a fee to get "Rogers" on that station or would the TTC use "Spadina South"? Or really upset the cart and go with "SkyDome"?

You know, I was thinking that a petition to change the name to put Dome back in it would be a waste of time - Rogers is like the honey badger as thetigermaster said. But if enough people petitioned them to change it to something like Rogers Park or Rogers Field, there might actually be a chance of them being receptive.

But I think people have to accept that the name SkyDome, and any reference to Dome in the name, is D-E-D dead. In an official sense anyway.

I happen to be in the "they can call it whatever they want" camp...but your post has me wondering...why would anyone ask them to change the name to anything other than SkyDome? What is the value in asking them to change it to Rogers Field or Rogers Park?....don't they have the same issue?

Yes, SkyDome was a much better name. I'm a big Blue Jays fan, unfortunately too many years of brainwashing by the broadcasters and media in general have got me using "Rogers Centre". I'd accept it being Rogers SkyDome, but obviously people would just leave out the Rogers reference. But who knows, maybe Rogers might throw us a bone as some goodwill. Even in baseball it's not unprecedented to go back to a previous name (I believe the Texas Rangers did this).

That being said, Rogers did make quite a few improvements to the building, and that's worth applauding.

One interesting thing is that from what I read, the 2015 Pan Am games do not allow sponsored venues, unless they are sponsoring the games. I am not sure if Rogers is, so there's a chance it can be called by a different name during those games, much like how BMO Field becomes National Soccer Stadium in those cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_2015_Pan_American_and_Parapan_American_Games

I happen to be in the "they can call it whatever they want" camp...but your post has me wondering...why would anyone ask them to change the name to anything other than SkyDome? What is the value in asking them to change it to Rogers Field or Rogers Park?....don't they have the same issue?

Because as ShonTron pointed out, it's a better name for a baseball stadium. Rogers doesn't care what people think, they're always going to call it something that has Rogers in the name and doesn't have Dome. Sure I still call it SkyDome, but at the end of the day it's their stadium and they can name it whatever they want.

Taxpayers paid the largest part of the $570 million it cost to build it. Rogers paid $25 million. Without the taxpayers, Rogers wouldn't have done it. So we should exercise our right to call it whatever we want. And if someone at Rogers gives me a strange look for calling it the Skydome, I won't back down. I know exactly what I'm saying. They know precisely what they bought.

The Skydome is an impressive stadium, brothers.

Not to get too pedantic but individual taxpayers can (and will) call it what they like....but, as a group, the "taxpayer" has no naming rights.......i am pretty sure they never did (the consortium that first built it with taxpayer help was not a crown corp.) but even if they did they gave up that right when they first sold it to the private sector for ±$150 mil in 1994.....as the third private sector owner, Rogers never dealt with the public or public purse on this deal.

Everyone: I noticed this topic in my long 2013 absence and I feel that "Rogers Skydome" should have
been the name used here all along - In any postings I made here at UT in the past I used this very name...

This would show not only Rogers ownership but retain the SkyDome's original given 1989 name...
I like the way it sounds and is easy to remember-I never liked the "Rogers Centre" name because
it makes me think of a new or different venue-not the Dome...

This is a relatively easy change - and the Rogers Corp. should follow through with it...LI MIKE

Back