News   Jul 25, 2024
 443     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 420     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 516     0 

Peterborough Commuter Rail

I agree, the logical point for commuter rail, especially such a long-distance one, is Union. It would cost virtually nothing to install the simple track switch to get trains onto the Stouffville line from the mainline. Once it becomes true regional rail, we can start talking about using a terminus other than Union.

It doesn't look like there is an existing parking lot in Peterborough large enough to handle GO service. GO will have to build one outside the city.

It would cost virtually nothing to install the simple track switch to get trains onto the Stouffville line from the mainline.

You can't run trains off the bridge where the CP mainline crosses the Stouffville line with a simple track switch. Why would they need to get onto the Stoufville line when there is already a track to Union from Leaside?

Another thing to note, they haven't done a very good job of protecting land around Summerhill station that was used for station tracks in the past. With proper planning, excluding the two mainline freight tracks, they would have had space for four platformed through tracks but now they are only likely to get two platformed through tracks and possibly a bay (terminating) track.

Originally Possible: T||TFFT||T||
Most Likely: ||TFFT||
Might Be Possible: ||TFFT||B||
where G=GO Through Track, B=GO Bay Track, F=Through Freight Track, and ||=Platform.

Two tracks isn't going to go very far. Optimally two tracks works well as a line station better than a terminus for two different services. Maybe this will all be tied into the Milton track expansion for a Meadowvale-Summerhill-Locust Hill all-day service with Milton-Summerhill-Peterborough at rush-hours.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like there is an existing parking lot in Peterborough large enough to handle GO service. GO will have to build one outside the city.
Why would it have to be outside the city? The city has a location designated for a commuter station where there's lots of room for parking. Hopefully there will be a station downtown as well.

Why would it have to be outside the city? The city has a location designated for a commuter station where there's lots of room for parking. Hopefully there will be a station downtown as well.

The chosen location is within the city limits, but it's not really in the city. A downtown station is essential, but probably won't happen for a long time. The powers that be seem not to be that downtown-friendly, and I bet their motivation for this line is not to support transit friendly development, but to encourage exurban commuter sprawl.

Once this line is in operation, will the GO bus service (which will be starting soon I believe) to Bownmanville/Oshawa get cancelled?

You can't run trains off the bridge where the CP mainline crosses the Stouffville line with a simple track switch. Why would they need to get onto the Stoufville line when there is already a track to Union from Leaside?
Ahh, I forgot about that. If Go was to run trains that way, they might as well run Richmond Hill Go trains on that same stretch. It might save a few minutes by giving the train a shorter, straighter stretch of track.

The chosen location is within the city limits, but it's not really in the city. A downtown station is essential, but probably won't happen for a long time. The powers that be seem not to be that downtown-friendly, and I bet their motivation for this line is not to support transit friendly development, but to encourage exurban commuter sprawl.
Sure it's on the outskirts, but it's definitely in the city. The College Park neighbourhood, Fleming College, and Major Bennet industrial park are all further south and west than the proposed train station.

The city is amending their OP to conform to Places to Grow, and it's now proposing a second rail station downtown. A lot has actually been done for downtown. There are new master plans for downtown and Little Lake, Hunter Street has completely revitalized since it was rebuilt a few years ago, and Charlotte Street is being rebuilt the same way. That said, most of the city's growth is single detached houses and it will take major changes to conform to Places to Grow.

Ahh, I forgot about that. If Go was to run trains that way, they might as well run Richmond Hill Go trains on that same stretch. It might save a few minutes by giving the train a shorter, straighter stretch of track.

There's no way to get to Richmond Hill from that stretch of track, I'm afraid. Not since they tore up the Leaside Spur years ago.

Of course, if it was up to me they'd re-lay the tracks, NIMBYs be damned. It's the only really feasible way that the GO line could be made competitive with the RH subway extension (bypassing the slow, winding track through the Don Valley).

There's no way to get to Richmond Hill from that stretch of track, I'm afraid. Not since they tore up the Leaside Spur years ago.

Of course, if it was up to me they'd re-lay the tracks, NIMBYs be damned. It's the only really feasible way that the GO line could be made competitive with the RH subway extension (bypassing the slow, winding track through the Don Valley).
If that's the case, I agree. But it would best happen after Metrolinx/Go sorts out some sort of deal concerning the Mainline, because without room to operate, RH Go won't be able to operate all day like it should, and would never be able to provide an all-day metro-frequency express service. I'd say just build an extra track, and expand the Toronto bypass to allow it to be used by the bulk of the Mainline's current traffic.

If they are able to come to an agreement on the Midtown line, they should combine the Milton Line with the Midtown line. This would provide regional rail service from Medowvale to Malvern, and peak hour service to Milton.

So the Mayor of Peterborough thinks North Toronto Station is in Scarborough?

I noticed the same thing.....did not want to appear dumb in case there was another summerhill that I was not aware of!!!!

Was it the Mayor who said this wrong or the reporter who heard it wrong?

GO bus schedule, rates ‘soon’: minister
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1707220
Posted By BRENDAN WEDLEY/Examiner Staff Writer

Posted 1 hour ago

A schedule and fare rates for GO Transit bus service to Oshawa from Peterborough that will begin Sept. 5 will be released “soon,” Transportation Minister Jim Bradley told The Examiner on Wednesday.

The transportation minister was vague when he answered questions about the service as he walked into a provincial cabinet meeting at Fleming College.

“Very soon,” Bradley said.

Bradley added that Peterborough MPP Jeff Leal would likely be the person to release the information on the schedule and fare rates when it’s made available to the public.

“Stay tuned,” Bradley and Leal said as they walked away.

GO Transit spokeswoman Gillian Riddel also said the bus schedule and fare rates would be released “soon.”

Premier Dalton McGuinty and his cabinet ministers met in the computer engineering lab at the college shortly after 1 p.m.

McGuinty held a press conference at the city public works facility on Townsend St. at 10:30 a.m. to announce a $23-million project to widen a stretch of Highway 7 east of Peterborough and improve another section of the highway in the City of Kawartha Lakes.

Leal mentioned the upcoming introduction of GO bus service to this area following the press conference.

“It will be a seamless service,” he said.

“You will buy your ticket in Peterborough, go to the GO train station in Oshawa (and) you won’t have to wait in another line because with the ticket you purchased in Peterborough you hop on a train and get to Toronto, and vice versa for those wonderful people in the GTA area who want to get into the City of Kawartha Lakes and then into Peterborough.”

In addition to the GO bus service and the planned extension of Highway 407 to Highway 35/115, the provincial government has partnered with the federal government to study the potential of creating a commuter rail service between Peterborough and Toronto.

The study, expected to be done in the fall, is looking at issues such as the viability of a rail service to Peterborough and the considerable amount of capital work that would need to be done, Bradley said.

The study will “point to what would be needed to have a rail service here,” he said.

“The results of that study will be made public.”

Local politicians, including Mayor Paul Ayotte and Peterborough MP Dean Del Mastro, heard a presentation from Transport Canada officials on their review of the proposed commuter rail service earlier this week at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario conference in Ottawa.

Ayotte told The Examiner on Tuesday that he learned from the presentation that the work on the rail line could begin in the spring and train service could begin, hopefully, by 2012.

It is a small point....but why would an MPP be the one who will announce the schedule and fares....I know it is all politics but it is hard to stomach sometimes.....so if politicians are announcing the fare and schedule did they also set them.....probably not but it is hard to draw the line between political issues and operational ones when the people involved keep making it murky!

Back