poit.jpg

This swan...

img08.jpg

...reminds me of this...

west8.jpg

leaf.

... which reminds me of this:

palm-island.jpg

I do applaud Perth's ambition. While Toronto is taking the safe approach, our waterfront is falling into "fitting in". In the meantime, other cities are using their waterfront building opportunity to move ahead of the pack and become recognized worldwide.

Corus makes me want to cry.

^ And the Palm Island reminds me of Ontario Place...building landmark stuff on fill is not a new idea.

Perth's project isn't just about becoming recognized worldwide, it's about doing something fun and building an attractive city...Toronto's waterfront will feature trees, a boardwalk, a bunch of condos, and nothing else.

In addition to the blobby HK Foster thing ( where Aunty Entity lives? ), there's a Foster gherkin capped with a Millennium Park lattice ( a Thunderdome where defeated gladiators are thrown to their deaths? ) in this exciting hint of what could be if Perth, or any other aspirational B-list city for that matter, isn't careful.

I don't know which is worse - Cheddingtonista retreads of the distant past or shape du jour knockoffs of famous starchitects. Thank goodness we have excellent local architects and don't have to resort to this sort of thing.

Thank goodness we have excellent local architects and don't have to resort to this sort of thing.

Don't thank our architects, thank the lack of funding. We would never be able to afford something like that.

Nothing dates quicker than vulgar, high-fashion shape du jour knockoffs of famous architects that are the built equivalent to Russian ice dance costumes. No matter how much money is thrown at them.

On this one, I have to agree with U.S. This project looks horrible to me, and they can have it.

Anyways, Perth is likely to experience some water problems sooner rather than later. This is one of those projects that looks to me like it is unlikely ever to be realized, and if it does, it won't look much like those drawings.

Good luck to them, though.

Back