News   Apr 15, 2024
 857     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 636     0 

Pedestrian zones, streets and public spaces upgrade

Great win today to have also the Major onboard. I’m waiting to have on street parking on many streets removed, especially on Bloor.

Unfortunately, Layton wants to move the centre line on Bloor St E to give the Yorkville BIA free on street parking. They BIA will accept the bike lanes in return it seems (my speculation).

Great win today to have also the Major onboard. I’m waiting to have on street parking on many streets removed, especially on Bloor.

Unfortunately, Layton wants to move the centre line on Bloor St E to give the Yorkville BIA free on street parking. They BIA will accept the bike lanes in return it seems (my speculation).
It's a fair compromise. The parking protected design would give drivers a safe way to park and stop, and for cyclists, it would reduce the chance of dooring and interference from drivers. Plus the extra space from parking would also allow more turn lanes. Current traffic can be mitigated with turning lanes. I wouldn't consider these changes a loss because drivers and cyclists benefit. It gets those freaking drivers out of the bike lanes, and reduces traffic for drivers which is good.

It's a fair compromise. The parking protected design would give drivers a safe way to park and stop, and for cyclists, it would reduce the chance of dooring and interference from drivers. Plus the extra space from parking would also allow more turn lanes. Current traffic can be mitigated with turning lanes. I wouldn't consider these changes a loss because drivers and cyclists benefit. It gets those freaking drivers out of the bike lanes, and reduces traffic for drivers which is good.

I agree w/ @H4F33Z in respect of Bloor.

However, I do think the case for removing street parking on some major streets downtown is quite compelling.

In terms of outright removal, I would argue its the streetcar routes where the greatest benefit exists.

With Carlton and Dundas first up as they have comparatively minimal retail, which should make for fewer complaints and compromises vs Queen.

The key benefit for streetcars is really that some people are bad parkers, and especially in winter can impede the tracks.

The surplus space is needed for pedestrians in a couple of spots, such as Dundas through Chinatown; and old Chinatown (Bay to University) where sidewalks are quite narrow relative to demand.

On College/Carlton, I'd give first dibs to the existing bike lanes (make fully protected); and to adding bike lanes further east.

Elsewhere, I think the strategy of permanent parking, w/that parking removed near intersections for turning lanes; or mid-block for loading zones/wheel trans drop off makes more sense.

One notable exception being Front Street east of Yonge, currently contemplated for narrowing to allow for sidewalk widening, in that case, some parking needs to be chopped.

Back