696     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 532     0 

Pearson lauded as world's best airport

Mississauga Earns 'Excellence in Salt Storage' Award

Oct 30, 2006

The Salt Institute, a non-profit association of salt producers and the world's foremost authoritative source on salt (sodium chloride), has recognized the City of Mississauga with an Excellence in Storage Award. The award was presented at the American Public Works Association Congress held in September in Kansas City, Missouri. The Salt Institute has held this award competition for the last 19 years and presents only ten awards annually to state and local government transportation facilities across North America.

"It is a real honour for Mississauga to receive this prestigious award," says director of Engineering and Works Joe Pituskha. "In an average winter, our Works crews use approximately 60,000 tons of salt to de-ice Mississauga's roads. The City of Mississauga has been practicing good salt management for many years and it's great to be recognized for it."

The Salt Institute's Excellence in Storage Award recognizes transportation facilities that operate outstanding salt storage facilities and programs. The criteria for the award includes minimizing environmental concerns by location, design and operation of the storage facility; promoting employee and community safety; implementing good housekeeping practices as well as the ability to store sufficient salt to meet winter and emergency needs without re-supply concerns.

Visit the Salt Institute website at www.saltinstitute.org for additional information.

Mississauga is Canada's sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City delivers quality municipal programs and services to its citizens. Mississauga is recognized as Canada's safest city.

Thank you. I believe the same press release (sans the last PR paragraph), but with the link was already posted. Or are you trying to be funny, or ironic?

I wonder if this is how Mississauga manages its road salt:

300px-Salt-packet.jpg

Re: Pearson lauded as world's best airport

cdl42 (Exurban Expatriate) wrote:

Not all of Pearson is in Mississauga! Let's see how they'd manage without the T2 Satellite terminal, ramp maintenance facility, and the tip end of runway 06L/24R! *evil laughter*

... probably just fine, actually.

"just fine"? *even more evil laughter*

Mississauga would not only manage "just fine" without the "T2 Satellite terminal, ramp maintenance facility, and the tip end of runway 06L/24R", they'd post a press release at:

mississauga.ca

52485931_dbe508d529_m.jpg

trumpeting how:

1. Mississauga was achieving More with Less T2 Satellite terminal, ramp maintenance facility, and the tip end of runway 06L/24R.

2. ALL was achieved with no added expense to the taxpayer.

And best of all:

3. Mississauga's "Moving Forward Leading Today for Tomorrow More with Less Corporate Strategy Provisional Aims and Objectives in the New Millennium" printed on recycled paper was now up for not one but THREE International awards!

Yes, THREE International awards! (she dangles then carefully lowers the lure into the water and...)

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Didn't Louis Kahn design the Salt Institute building?

"Didn't Louis Kahn design the Salt Institute building?"

Yes. Here's a pic of the natrium:
wieliczka.jpg

^ How scary would that place be after dark? Looks straight out of a "B" horror movie.

In 2019, when the bankrupt former city of Toronto is annexed by Missisauga under Mayor Mercader, Pearson will be renamed McCallion International - with extensive renovations to the Terminal 1 departure hall, funded by the Salt Institute, in the fashionable neo-Gaudi-esque manner that eclipsed the discredited Toronto Style.

The Salt Institute, a non-profit association of salt producers and the world's foremost authoritative source on salt (sodium chloride), has recognized the City of Mississauga with an Excellence in Storage Award.

Jesus, there's an award for everything these days.

^ How scary would that place be after dark? Looks straight out of a "B" horror movie.

It's deep underground, no sunlight ever reaches down there. I've been there. It's basically a salt mine, so there is no natural light. So "after dark" really has no effect on the scariness factor. Though it is kinda creepy with things made of salt and being in a mine. It's a tourist attraction though.

spmarshall wrote:

Thank you. I believe the same press release (sans the last PR paragraph), but with the link was already posted. Or are you trying to be funny, or ironic?

Correct, sp. And I didn't post the last PR paragraph --this one:

Mississauga is Canada's sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City delivers quality municipal programs and services to its citizens. Mississauga is recognized as Canada's safest city.

because it includes the following:

the City delivers quality municipal programs and services to its citizens.

"quality".

Here's how a dictionary defines "quality" when the word is used as an adjective:

quality
9 entries found for quality
Function: adjective
: being of high quality

To revisit the PR statement therefore a reader can infer:

the City delivers (high) quality municipal programs and services to its citizens.

The statement is BULLSHIT.

Here's how a dictionary defines "bullshit" when the word is used as an noun.

bullshit
2 entries found for bullshit.

Main Entry: 1bull·shit
Pronunciation: 'bul-"shit also 'b&l-
Function: noun
Etymology: 1bull & 6bull
usually vulgar : NONSENSE; especially : foolish insolent talk

So, Mississauga boys and girls, let's just for fun, take the two new words we've learned today --"quality" "bullshit"-- and demonstrate our understanding by using them both in a sentence. Underline your new words.

the City delivers (high) quality municipal programs and services to its citizens.

The above statement is pure quality bullshit.

Signed,
The (spare me the
077107042X.01._SCTZZZZZZZ_.jpg
) Mississauga Muse

building babel wrote:

In 2019, when the bankrupt former city of Toronto is annexed by Mississauga under Mayor Mercader, Pearson will be renamed McCallion International - with extensive renovations to the Terminal 1 departure hall, funded by the Salt Institute, in the fashionable neo-Gaudi-esque manner that eclipsed the discredited Toronto Style.

And in 2019, I will be... --HOKEYJEEZLEYPEETS! OUCH!

Better start again...

In 2019, when the bankrupt former city of Toronto is annexed by Missisauga under Mayor Mercader, Pearson will be renamed McCallion International

---and The Mississauga Star, The Mississauga Globe and Mail, The Mississauga Sun AND The Mississauga News will all contain a small column about a 70 year old lady arrested at Mississauga Corporate City Hall.

These articles will go on to say that:

the 70 year old, claiming to be The Mississauga Muse, quietly surrendered to Mississauga & Environs Regional Police (M&ERP) after creating an unprecedented disturbance that Mayor Mercader would only say included an industrial-sized neon portable sign and the words

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

Witnesses say, The Mississauga Muse when confronted by Mississauga Metropolis Corporate Security immediately pleaded for protective political refugee status with the Mississauga & Environs Regional Police.

M&ERP officer, Raja Manaolana Emuna, who requested his name not be used said, "What I don't get is how Muse sneaked a JUMBOTRON onto a high-volume-traffic-corridor Mississauga transit bus, lugged the 'TRON all the way over to City Hall Corporate Square, and no one noticed until ---I mean WOW, how could no one notice?"

But that scenario is truly doubtful, sp. It'll be more like:

In 2019, when the bankrupt former city of Toronto is annexed by Mississauga under Mayor McCallion, Pearson will be renamed McCallion International

---and The Mississauga Star, The Mississauga Globe and Mail, The Mississauga Sun AND The Mississauga News ya da ya da ya da....

^ And when Mayor McCallion celebrates her Golden Jubilee in 2028 by sacrificing three Brampton virgins on her City Hall balcony, she'll receive a warm letter of congratulations from Queen Elizabeth II.

edit - actually, she'll probably be Empress of Peel Region by then.

Back