News   Jul 22, 2024
 503     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 539     0 

Pearson lauded as world's best airport

Suicidal Gingerbread Man wrote:

Re: Pearson lauded as world's best airport

LOL.
I love how it becomes "Mississauga Pearson" in a Mississauga paper.

Of course it's Mississauga's Pearson International.

And see this-here airplane-landing pic? It's flying into Mississauga's Pearson International over Mississauga's airspace.

landing.jpg

Yes. Mississauga's airspace.

Signed,
The (and we can defend our airspace)

paper-airplane.jpg

Mississauga Muse

Technically speaking that plane is still over Toronto airspace as that part of the 427 is in Toronto.

Ed007Toronto
Administrator wrote:

Technically speaking that plane is still over Toronto airspace as that part of the 427 is in Toronto.

Really? Sorry about that Ed007Toronto. I meant no offense.

A bit over-eager is all.

We-of-Mississauga tend to feel Pan-Galactic-Mega-Proud because of the prestigious awards our City routinely wins (and I do mean routinely).

*hohum*

Today it's Mississauga's Pearson International Airport winning Top Global Dog Airport Honours.

Yesterday, Mississauga won "Excellence in Salt Storage".

Here's the press release from mississauga.ca.

Mississauga Earns 'Excellence in Salt Storage' Award

Oct 30, 2006

The Salt Institute, a non-profit association of salt producers and the world's foremost authoritative source on salt (sodium chloride), has recognized the City of Mississauga with an Excellence in Storage Award. The award was presented at the American Public Works Association Congress held in September in Kansas City, Missouri. The Salt Institute has held this award competition for the last 19 years and presents only ten awards annually to state and local government transportation facilities across North America.

"It is a real honour for Mississauga to receive this prestigious award," says director of Engineering and Works Joe Pituskha.

You can read the rest at Mississauga's award-winning mississauga.ca website:

Mississauga Earns 'Excellence in Salt Storage' Award

Enjoy!

And I should point out Ed007Toronto that "Excellence in Salt Storage" is an easy no-brainer one for Mississaugans to win, because other cities USE their salt.

We also won:

"New Award-Winning Electronic Mapping System"

"2006 Mississauga Urban Design Awards Celebrate a Quarter Century of Excellence"

Before that "Mississauga Healthy City Initiative Short listed for World Leadership Award" (which is in the bag we're sure of it)...

I really should stop here.

Signed,
The (Trying hard not to gloat) Mississauga Muse

Agreed! Though, to Mississauga's credit, they obviously pay close attention to the small details...

Muse: At the time of the year-end review in December, you will be able to claim credit for the most arcane trivia item of the year.

A prize for salt storage? Who knew? :p

(Picture to follow, showing Hazel wielding a shovel in front of the pile of salt.)

(Picture to follow, showing Hazel wielding a shovel in front of the pile of salt.)

MISSISSAUGA INTERNATIONAL SALT STORAGE CO.
Salt%20-%20Nova%20Scotia.jpg

"Help, Louroz! I'm stuck!"

Thanks to Muse and Ganga for the best laugh I've had in a long while.

The third great laugh I've had today courtesy of UT - thanks AP, Archivist, Muse/Ganj!

Yes, Toronto Pearson is in Mississauga. Who knew. Does anyone know what "Toronto AMF" stands for? I suppose it indicates that its not actually Toronto. Strange regardless.

Regarding the numbering scheme in Mississauga, it is very easy to follow and I enjoy it. On North-South streets, the numbers go up as you go north, so at Lakeshore its 1000, at QEW 2000, Dundas 3000, Burnhamthorpe 4000, Eglinton 5000, Britannia 6000, Derry 7000, Steeles 8000.
So for example, my house number is 6178, so that puts me just north of Britannia.
On the other hand, the East-West numbers are a little more confusing. Hurontario is the starting point, and they go up moving east and west, and every street that crosses Hurontario is divided into E and W. But the numbers don't go very far in either direction, maybe up to 3000, I'm not sure. I know it goes up to around 2500 around Erin Mills Pkwy in terms of the west, and up to 2000 in the east around Dixie. So if your address is anything up to 3000, its not as informative. Regardless, in subdivisions, your house number will follow one of the two schemes, whether your street is a N-S or E-W street. My street is N-S (6000-6200), and the two streets that connect to mine are E-W (around 1400-1500). Mind you none of these streets follow any sort of grid, so its somewhat arbitrary sometimes.

The fact that most streets are not in a grid in Mississauga makes the numbering system weird - have always understoodhow the numbers are derivied though. Like I said as well, Streetsville is a completely different ballgame, as they still use the pre-amalgamation numbering (ie Queen St North/South rather than Mississauga Road). As Port Credit is the orgin for both north-south and east-west, it's not as noticable there.

dashingdan wrote:

Yes, Toronto Pearson is in Mississauga. Who knew. Does anyone know what "Toronto AMF" stands for? I suppose it indicates that its not actually Toronto. Strange regardless.

Just Googled "Toronto AMF" and none of the "Results 71 - 80 of about 913" (don't want to go through them all) reveal what mailing address "AMF" stands for. And so I'll take my cue from local governance.

In the absence of Fact, Fabricate!

So.

"Toronto AMF" stands for ---"AMF" --All. Mississauga. Financed.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

P.S. Been to a lot of airports and agree that Pearson's that Ontario can be proud of Pearson.

Yeah, yeah. Hazel's answer to a Mira Linder spa treatment...

Oh yeah, "Toronto AMF" sounds like some kind of a bowling league...

Not all of Pearson is in Mississauga! Let's see how they'd manage without the T2 Satellite terminal, ramp maintenance facility, and the tip end of runway 06L/24R! *evil laughter*

... probably just fine, actually.

BTW, AMF stands for "Airport Mail Facility"

Back