2.2K     0 

Pearson lauded as world's best airport

F

FutureMayor

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Pearson lauded as world's best airport

Gerry Timbers
Oct 30, 2006

Mississauga's Pearson International has been named the world's best airport by the Institute of Transport Management (ITM).

The ITM noted that Pearson has become a growing force within North America, and wider destinations, for its excellent facilities and customer focused attitude towards passengers.

Pearson International is one of the largest airports in North America in terms of passenger and air cargo traffic. In 2005, the airport handled nearly 30 million passengers.

In making its decision, the ITM Awards Committee commented that the Greater Toronto Airport Authority has enabled the airport to meet current industry demands through its high
operational standards and focus on service excellence.

"We have established a model emulated by other airports and have set the standard for how an airport can be run," said GTAA President and CEO John Kaldeway. "Receiving an award of this nature solidifies what we already know and proves that we are on the right path."

The ITM was formed in the United Kingdom in 1977 with the express aim of providing further education and information to transport managers.

Louroz

LOL.
I love how it becomes "Mississauga Pearson" in a Mississauga paper.

Good news for Pearson. Now if only something could be done to bring their landing fees down.

There's an "'s" in there, so it reads OK, it's not as if they renamed it.

In terms of having to pass time there it's far from the best airport, just a big open space with nothing much to do.

Lower landing fees and a VIA/GO station would be nice. Still, great news for Toronto Pearson! Our airport has come a long way in 10 years.

In terms of having to pass time there it's far from the best airport, just a big open space with nothing much to do.

If you are talking about the new terminal I can't say much since I haven't flown out of it yet. But I have flown out of Terminal 3 a number of times and I would actually say it is one of the better airports to kill time in. Plenty of places to have a coffee or a beer and watch the day to day operations on the tarmac.

I agree with Darkstar though, a GO/VIA/Airport Express station would really put Pearson in the top eschilon of airports across the globe.

Pearson has suffered a lot of abuse over the years- but I have no complaints with the GTAA recently. An airport link is the next step.

I think Pearson has gotten much better since the new terminal opened, but I doubt that it's the world's best airport. Perhaps ITM is only focused on areas related to transportation management.

Skytrax appears to be more credible in the area of ranking airports. Their "Airport of the Year" award is always bounced around Asian airports like Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul-Incheon and Dubai.

But I have flown out of Terminal 3 a number of times and I would actually say it is one of the better airports to kill time in.

The last time I flew out of Terminal 3 was on a "commuter" flight to New York. All the US-bound passengers were packed like sardines into a waiting room, where most people stood around (all the seats were taken) and did nothing. Not a pleasant experience for sure.

I love how it becomes "Mississauga Pearson" in a Mississauga paper.

Yes, pure silliness. What's next? Richmond's YVR?

Glad to see the recognition for Pearson. A nice affordable 20-minute rail link would seal the deal.

Too add jet fuel to this silly fire, look at Toronto Pearson's address on the GTAA website...

Greater Toronto Airports Authority
Toronto Pearson International Airport
3111 Convair Dr
P.O. Box 6031
Toronto AMF ON L5P 1B2

What is Toronto AMF? Is it a fancy way of saying Mississauga, without having to actually say it? Also, the "L" postal code is clearly 905-land and not Toronto. It's all pretty strange.

The overly large street number for a short street (Convair) is also a giveaway that it falls under Mississauga's strange street numbering system (where they are all based on the numbering set out by the Toronto Twp survey for the concessions and sideroads - note that Streetsville is still exempt from this system).

I find it interesting that with some airports (notably ORD), the boundaries of the principal city go out of their way to encompass the airport. In the case of ORD, there's a tiny strip of Chicago that extends to O'Hare , which attach to another section that takes in much of the rest of the airport.

Maybe Toronto should take a bit of Toronto Township so the GTTA does not have to use the AMF name!

The last time I flew out of Terminal 3 was on a "commuter" flight to New York. All the US-bound passengers were packed like sardines into a waiting room, where most people stood around (all the seats were taken) and did nothing. Not a pleasant experience for sure.

Thats probably because you didn't use the gangway (I think thats what its called) to board the plane, instead, with these regional jets at Pearson, you had to walked out onto the tarmac to get to your plane. I don't know if they are going to change this once the whole airport is completed (more space so that each regional jet can have its own gangway), but I get the feeling its a space issue since they board multiple jets in that little area.

Best airport I have been in .... was Singapore's airport. I landed, picked up baggage, changed currency, through immigration, then got into a cab.... total time -- 20 minutes.

Back