News   Apr 16, 2024
 438     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

PATH Network Expansion (various, various, various)

Some details on the 16Y-MLS connection project plan and timelines (from Maple Leaf Square facilities):

PATH Extension - Construction Project
Jan. 4, 2019 to April 29, 2020

Construction to extend the PATH connection from Maple Leaf Square to the ICE Condos and 16 York St. will commence January 4th, 2019 and will be completed by April 29, 2020. The PATH connection from Maple Leaf Square will be located in Longo's (seating area beside Starbuck's).

The PATH construction will take place in two phases. The first phase will be on the west side of York Street and will take place January 4th, 2019 to August 15th, 2019. The second phase will be on the east side of York Street and will take place August 17th, 2019 to April 29, 2020.

During both phases, there will be a partial closure of York Street. However, at all times, there will be one northbound lane, and one southbound lane.

City of Toronto council has approved the working hours of construction to be 7:00am to 11:00pm Monday to Friday, and 9:00am to 5:00pm on Saturdays. There will be no construction activities permitted on Sundays or statutory holidays.

Toronto Municipal Code chapter 591 provides standards for construction noise. The sound emitted from any equipment cannot exceed an equivalent sound level of 85dBA when measured 20 meters from the source over a five minutes period. Our General Contractor will monitor, with a sound (dB) meter, all construction related noises to ensure that the allowable City of Toronto levels are not exceeded.

Deliveries will commence at the approved construction times (mentioned above) and will continue throughout the day into the evening. Trades completing deliveries will have a team of individuals that are trained specifically to eliminate noise during the deliveries.

There may be times that the noise levels will appear to be extremely loud (saw machines, jack hammers, etc.) however, the General Contractor will mitigate the amount of noise to ensure that it meets the acceptable levels.

During the entirety of the project, we will be in constant communication with the General Contractor and will report any new developments, construction updates, utility impacts and any further road closures.

Below is a schedule of the Phase 1 road closure activities for the next few weeks:
  • January 3, 2019: Removal of existing road pavement markings and installation of temporary red line painting on the east side of York Street. Paid Duty Officers have been requested.
  • January 4, 2019: Installation of jersey barriers/fences and traffic signs for road closure. Paid Duty Officers have been requested.
  • January 7, 2019: Completion of jersey barriers/fences/gate installation. Paid Duty Officers have been requested.

From https://torontosun.com/news/local-n...to-thoroughfares-frustrating-past-and-present

"Over the many years I have presented this column to my Toronto Sun readers, the subject has always had some connection with our city’s past, be it the recent past or the distant past.

In a slight departure from the norm today’s column has to do with something that is happening even as I speak…er write.

It’s a story that drivers who use lower York St. to get into and out of downtown Toronto may find it an aggravating story because of the recently instituted lane closures on York between Bremner Blvd. (for the late Ray Bremner, City of Toronto Commissioner of Public Works) and Lake Shore Blvd. for PATH construction that will continue to tie up traffic for (at least) the next 14 months."

I have discussed this in the particular project threads, but it looks like that there won't be any north-south PATH connection in the works connecting The Atrium and College Park.

Unless it happens via YSL and the east side of Yonge Street.

From https://torontosun.com/news/local-n...to-thoroughfares-frustrating-past-and-present

"Over the many years I have presented this column to my Toronto Sun readers, the subject has always had some connection with our city’s past, be it the recent past or the distant past.

In a slight departure from the norm today’s column has to do with something that is happening even as I speak…er write.

It’s a story that drivers who use lower York St. to get into and out of downtown Toronto may find it an aggravating story because of the recently instituted lane closures on York between Bremner Blvd. (for the late Ray Bremner, City of Toronto Commissioner of Public Works) and Lake Shore Blvd. for PATH construction that will continue to tie up traffic for (at least) the next 14 months."

I didn’t think it was possible, but the editorial standards of the Toronto Sun have dropped even further.

Looks like they are roughing in the outine of the ditch for the 16 York to Maple Leaf Swuare connection with some sort of a water jet?
IMG_20190116_111537-01.jpeg
IMG_20190116_111427-01.jpeg

I've been meaning to ask those of you with more construction expertise than I.............

When building path segments, is there a (good) reason that we don't see precast, modular tunnel sections, that can be brought in on the back of a truck, used.

Specifically, I'm thinking of tunnel segments for stations that I've seen GO use, where in the space of a weekend, they have the track up, dig down, drop a tunnel it, re-bury it, and have the trains going over the top on a Monday morning.

Obviously there is then other work involved, in GO's case, under the platforms, in the PATH situation, under the sidewalks and final connections between the buildings, plus fit-out (electrical and finishes) .

But wouldn't be more efficient to just drop a precast structure in place?

So this new path connection will probably close at 11pm when Longo's closes?

The Path buildings, in terms of access, all follow TTC subway hours.

They are open roughly 6am-2am M-Sa, 8am-2am Sunday.

That is not the same as retail hours, most of which are much more restricted, but these vary property by property.

* Select access points may have more restrictive hours.

JUST TOOL A WALK DOWN FROM ST ANDREW TO METROHALL. SAW A NEW HOARDING SAYING SOMETHING BIG COMING SOON
ANYONE GOT AN IDEA WHATS HAPPENING

Back