1.3K     0 

Parks - new & revitalized

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc2246814155
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:Yonge St. Linear Parks Improvements (George Hislop and Norman Jewison) and Alexander St. Parkette Improvements
Yonge St. Linear Parks Improvements (George Hislop and Norman Jewison) and Alexander St. Parkette Improvements

Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/7876358
Issue date:March 4, 2020
ecblank.gif
Closing date:March 31, 2020
at 12:00 Noon
Pre-bid meeting:Mandatory Meeting

1. Suppliers are required to attend a mandatory meeting to familiarize themselves with the required Deliverables. The mandatory meeting will take place at 10 am local time on Monday, March 10, 2020 at Alexander St. Parkette, 33 Alexander St.,, Toronto. Meetings will not be available at any other times.

2. Suppliers must sign the attendance sheet at the mandatory meeting during the designated date and time for their Bid to be considered.

3. Bids submitted by Suppliers that do not attend the mandatory meeting or fail to sign the attendance sheet shall be declared non-compliant.]
Buyer:- Choose one -
ecblank.gif
Phone number:
Email:
ecblank.gif
Client Division:Parks, Forestry & Recreation

City releases final plan for Charles G. Williams Park

MARCH 1, 2020

Councillor Gord Perks has released the final plans for the renovations of Charles G. Williams Park across the street from Sorauren Park, and they reflect many of the ideas put forward by the community and the Friends of Charles G. Williams Park.

“We did it! The City of Toronto has done a fantastic job incorporating the community’s feedback and requests into the new design,” say the Friends on their website. “We’re pleased to have been given a chance to advocate for the neighbourhood and work with Parks, Forestry & Recreation to meet the community’s goals to improve the park.”

The plans include:

• expanding the play area (it has been increased by 35-40%)
  • creating more imaginative and accessible all-ages play opportunities
  • the wading pool has been changed to a splash pad
  • a secondary smaller basketball court with a lower hoop has been added
  • the play apparatus includes opportunities for swings, slides, climbing, balancing, hide & seek and combined with more naturalized play areas)
  • providing shade at the sandbox (as well as other play areas).
  • to add another dimension to the all-ages play requests, a ping pong table and bocce court have been included as well as an increased amount of seating
  • the addition of a Vimy oak to commemorate the park’s namesake, First World War soldier and local resident Charles G. Williams, will provide more shade at the new, safer main entrance location at the Sorauren-Wabash intersection
  • the community has also been granted permission to plant a pollinator garden outside the north fence line to continue helping the initiative to create a pollinator network between the West Toronto Railpath, along Fermanagh Avenue and High Park Blvd, to High Park. This will be happen once the renovations are complete.
Construction is expected to start later this summer.

Charles G. Williams Park is often called “Sorauren playground”. Sorauren Park itself does not have a playground, splashpad or basketball court. The two parks are complementary, and the new main entrance for Charles G. Williams across the main entrance from Sorauren Park will emphasize the relationship.

1583361412893.png

Hmm much could it possible cost to make that at least somewhat useable.

Having moved from King West where parks are plentiful to the financial district, the absence of even a small patch of grass for my dog to pee was immediately noticed. Any news on the parkette on Temperance?

Anything else planned that I may have missed?

Even a narrowed Bay Street lined with trees would bring some welcome greenery to the downtown core.

Having moved from King West where parks are plentiful to the financial district, the absence of even a small patch of grass for my dog to pee was immediately noticed. Any news on the parkette on Temperance?

Anything else planned that I may have missed?

Even a narrowed Bay Street lined with trees would bring some welcome greenery to the downtown core.
The park on Temperance will be 'fixed up' once BAC North is finished - there is talk of that on that thread. I thought you were moving to St Lawrence? I doubt Bay Street will ever be narrowed significantly.

The park on Temperance will be 'fixed up' once BAC North is finished - there is talk of that on that thread. I thought you were moving to St Lawrence? I doubt Bay Street will ever be narrowed significantly.

Unfortunately, my plans for the King Eddy fell through. The condo corporation wouldn't budge on their dog policy. I moved to INDX instead.

I love my place, access to the PATH and the downtown core in general but wow, my dog and I have to walk several blocks before there's even a small patch of grass for her to pee on. When the mayor and downtown councillors talk about the lack of downtown green space, they're not kidding.

I guess I have my next project. The King Street Pilot was going to be a tough act to follow but downtown core green space is a worthy endeavour.

I'm not sure this would qualify as a "park" but I've gotten in touch with Joe Cressy's office regarding installing a temporary pet relief station on Temperance or Sheppard St pending street improvements that provide a permanent solution, i.e. in-ground tree boxes, grass berm, etc.

While the financial district is predominantly offices, when zoning for residential use, the city should be taking pets into consideration when planning for neighbourhood amenities. I bet this was the furtherest from planners' minds but it's a legitimate requirement and there's a demonstrated need.

Here's what other cities are doing:

hraswqascrx.jpeg

pet-friendly-travel-airport-nashville-international-airport-tn-scaled.jpegg4rh9e3p14a11.jpgAnimal-Relief-Central-Concourse-Hawaiian-Garden.jpgbjdijigpgbz.jpegasscrquwtax.jpeghraswqascrx.jpeg

Last edited:
Feel this is on topic. Another bad sign of park and square design: people getting injured.

View attachment 308197
‘This is a hazard’: Public art installation outside Summerhill LCBO sends two women to hospital with injuries — at the same time
That pool has been there for several years, OK, 2 people just fell into it but were they the first? Before putting up fences or orange cones let's look at exactly what happened and whether it was a fluke.

That pool has been there for several years, OK, 2 people just fell into it but were they the first? Before putting up fences or orange cones let's look at exactly what happened and whether it was a fluke.

Overall, its a lovely feature.

I took this photo of (a part) of it not that long ago:

1616779988850.png

Back