News   Jul 08, 2024
 138     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 324     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 707     0 

Park Lake Residences (Pemberton, 2x 18s, Burka)

White stucco-y material is going to get dirty pretty fast (instantly), being so close to the highway.

I'm thinking that too. And you can't wipe it clean as easily as you can glass.

That big piece of white slab facing the highway is a eye sore for sure and those lower floor owners are only a few meters from the constant idling traffic 7 days a week but those who have the south view of Sunnyside will have a amazing sight of the lake without obstruction.

I passed by again yesterday, and workers were continuing to apply the finishing treatment to the concrete. Some styrofoam type product is being applied, then covered with a stippled skim coat. (Someone here will know the proper names of these materials.) The skim coat that has been chosen makes the back resemble the precast panels of the podium on the east, south, and west sides.

While there is some small amount of articulation (some styrofoam panels are thicker than others), overall we're looking at a permanent, big, off-white slab on the south side of the Gardiner here. Who approved that?

PS - Thanks Pemberton! Yet again you've succeeded in raising the bar for contemptuous building in this city. You might finally be paying attention to architecture with Uptown and U Condos (although the proof in those puddings has yet to set) in an attempt to upgrade your image, but you cannot have it both ways: build this eyesore along the Gardiner, and you will long be known for it.

Last edited:
It's probably an EIFS or stucco finish on the North wall.

Ewww Stucco?..they could have installed fake windows to make it look like a extension of the lobby.Thats going to be nasty if its only stucco,why not large marble panels?.

I don't mind the towers but I hate that podium and that stucco crap..I don't understand the stucco treatment along the gardiner...I mean, that will turn black in a matter of months. The half azzing of some of these builders/designers really annoys me.

We'll see how it comes together when it's all done though.

Josef ... in all due respect I agree that for what its worth, Park Lake turned out decently (particularly since Pemberton ususally does a crappy job) ... but I think you may have pushed it a little too far if you tried to compare Park Lake with Palace Pier, that is a very big mistake, Park Lake is not even in the same league as Palace Pier

To answer the question, Palace Pier + Palace Place definitely looks a lot better than Park Lake ;), IMO these two brown tinted towers are timeless~

Thanks for the comment Solaris. I definitely agree that Park Lake is no
where in the same boat as Palace Pier, but I had thought to throw it in there because of its age, as its evident there's a handful of individuals who are critical of some decent buildings in the area.

As a side note, it was a delight to see the large pine trees that are lined up on the back side of the podium garden! There's also some bushes planted
towards the front of the garden podium as well. Some kitchens are installed
in the lakeview suites.

Can anyone take any updated photographs?

Also, does anyone have any photos of the Meow night club that used to be on site? I was told that it was quite a nice night club...

10 October 2009 photo update

^Meow was a sleazy drug den, filled with criminals. However, the music sometimes was good techno.

The trees along the Queensway today hid the fugliness of this condo well:

dsc09511o.jpg

dsc09536i.jpg

dsc09538b.jpg

wow, they looked way way shorter in the Renders...

I think that when Park Lake and NXT are both completed and stand next to Windermere by the Lake for comparison, there'll be no question about which one of the three is least inspiring from an aesthetics standpoint.

But at the same time, there'll be no question about which one has the best view/location...

By the way, what do you think the chances are of the Four Points Sheraton getting sold and re-done into some sort of retail area? A nice grocery store might be good since the Sobey's westwards on Queensway is a tough walk when you're carrying stuff. And that stupid Kingsway development that bought out the lot that used to house a Value-Mart and a Shoppers Drug Mart is sitting vacant along Southport. I count around 9 condo developments in the area whose occupants could really use somewhere to spend money!

By the way, what do you think the chances are of the Four Points Sheraton getting sold and re-done into some sort of retail area? A nice grocery store might be good since the Sobey's westwards on Queensway is a tough walk when you're carrying stuff. And that stupid Kingsway development that bought out the lot that used to house a Value-Mart and a Shoppers Drug Mart is sitting vacant along Southport. I count around 9 condo developments in the area whose occupants could really use somewhere to spend money!

I suspect that the Four Points Sheraton on Lake Shore Blvd will get redeveloped within 10 years ... however I don't think it would be for retail, the value of the land couldn't support a commercial development, I expect that when it does get redeveloped, that site would be another condominium (maybe with grade retail) in a scale similar to the adjacent Park Lake

October 12 2009 update

Windows up to the 13th floor (east tower) and 16th floor (west tower)
Click to Enlarge

The 'soon not so white' facade detail towards Gardiner

Decent looking spandrels being installed on the north elevation - I actually don't mind the aqua spandrel colour here with the green glass

And that stupid Kingsway development that bought out the lot that used to house a Value-Mart and a Shoppers Drug Mart is sitting vacant along Southport. I count around 9 condo developments in the area whose occupants could really use somewhere to spend money!

And I am hoping that the next reinvention of that cancelled King's Way site has a retail component. I wonder if Georgian ever sold the site, and if so, to whom...

but that's a discussion for another thread.

Back