News   Apr 19, 2024
 203     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 530     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 675     1 

Ottawa Transit Developments

When I was there in may they had laid the concrete foundation. It took them 5 months to put down the ballast and start laying track?

Probably a different subcontractor who required a ready worksite for their entire job; or was waiting on special track-work to be delivered. IIRC, these pieces (like intersections and crossovers) have gone from 18 months for the TTC (order to delivery) to closer to 30 months.

It's no surprise that the delays center around the tunnel along the Ottawa River, which is a soggy mess of gravel, silt and fill. A few years back, the magical-thinking hundred days solution determined that building a tunnel here would cost no more than laying track at grade, or slightly below, along a largely unused stretch of river bank more than 250 feet wide. (Sound familiar, Etobicoke?) The bids came in wildly above the estimates, and the scheduled handover date is now 3 years behind what the procurement estimates had been. Of course no one could have anticipated the effects of the pandemic on the supply chain, but it's notable that the eastern part of the expansion, which is much less reliant on huge spatial interventions and massive amounts of reinforced concrete, is only about a month behind. As long as we keep opting for maximal constructions and high costs to benefit, this is what we can expect to see.

It's no surprise that the delays center around the tunnel along the Ottawa River, which is a soggy mess of gravel, silt and fill. A few years back, the magical-thinking hundred days solution determined that building a tunnel here would cost no more than laying track at grade, or slightly below, along a largely unused stretch of river bank more than 250 feet wide. (Sound familiar, Etobicoke?) The bids came in wildly above the estimates, and the scheduled handover date is now 3 years behind what the procurement estimates had been. Of course no one could have anticipated the effects of the pandemic on the supply chain, but it's notable that the eastern part of the expansion, which is much less reliant on huge spatial interventions and massive amounts of reinforced concrete, is only about a month behind. As long as we keep opting for maximal constructions and high costs to benefit, this is what we can expect to see.
There was some chatter on SSP Ottawa that the eastern extension was also 2 years behind procurement schedule. Also, I am hearing that KEV is focusing resources on the eastern section to get something complete first.

Last edited:

Lots going on there............but this bit I found worth bringing forward:

1669646454776.png

Really interesting to see political leanings of two media outlets so obviously on display of those last 2 posts.

One paints the picture of the delays and issues being the politicians faults (CTV) and the CBC article is a bashing of P3's and private for public work. All from the same report.

I'm sure the report lambasted both parties, but thats all but missing from each article.

Really interesting to see political leanings of two media outlets so obviously on display of those last 2 posts.

One paints the picture of the delays and issues being the politicians faults (CTV) and the CBC article is a bashing of P3's and private for public work. All from the same report.

I'm sure the report lambasted both parties, but thats all but missing from each article.
While the report is not good and yes it does call out both sides big time.I think the media was expecting much worse so this i think took them back some what it was not what some thought it would be.

CBC had multiple articles - the one I posted is focused on the P3 aspect. Here is the more "global" view of the report:

AoD

looks like Ottawa will be looking for a new GM for transit as well a few other position based on this report. I guess the City manager must have seen this report or got wind of it and that caused him to resign this week. Based on what had taken place during his time as mayor and the problem with the LRT, Watson saw the writing on the wall it was time for him to step down before election time or be force to resign after this report came out.

It should raise a lot of flags for all LRT lines in Ontario in construction or about to as well the rolling stock for it. As well how ML and IO are doing the P3 things.

It should raise a lot of flags for all LRT lines in Ontario in construction or about to as well the rolling stock for it. As well how ML and IO are doing the P3 things.
Hasn’t Metrolinx moved to a partnership model for transit work, where they take some of the planning risk up front along with the private sector?

It’s possible I misunderstood what this model was.

Back