News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 725     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Hello all,
My name is Shane and I run the Train Fans website in Ottawa. (www.otrainfans.ca)

On our site, we have all sorts of great information on the trains, stations, lines, construction pics, videos and interesting behind the scenes features.
I will be sure to share new content with you all here as it is produced.

I invite you to catch us on our Youtube channel, where you will find some interviews and behind the scenes videos. https://www.youtube.com/otrainfans

Here are some interesting videos that you may enjoy:
-Alstom Citadis Spirit Simulator -

-Alstom Coradia LINT Simulator -

-Transit Operations Control Centre (TOCC) -

-Confederation Line Technical Facts with John Manconi -

There is also plenty of on train ride videos, so have fun browsing the channel and our site.

Have a good day.
Shane

Hello all,
My name is Shane and I run the Train Fans website in Ottawa. (www.otrainfans.ca)

On our site, we have all sorts of great information on the trains, stations, lines, construction pics, videos and interesting behind the scenes features.
I will be sure to share new content with you all here as it is produced.

I invite you to catch us on our Youtube channel, where you will find some interviews and behind the scenes videos. https://www.youtube.com/otrainfans

Here are some interesting videos that you may enjoy:
-Alstom Citadis Spirit Simulator -

-Alstom Coradia LINT Simulator -

-Transit Operations Control Centre (TOCC) -

-Confederation Line Technical Facts with John Manconi -

There is also plenty of on train ride videos, so have fun browsing the channel and our site.

Have a good day.
Shane

Big fan of your work! Welcome to UT.

Wow, I didn't realize that Line 2 would be entirely shut down from May 2020 to August 2022, I was (mistakenly) thinking that this was only an extension project. I was hoping to get back there with Michelle this summer to bike around some more and show her the system, I'll miss not being able to show her this bit. I guess it makes sense though since they have to lengthen all the platforms and upgrade their MSF...

And the wonderful (horrible) public servants (leeches) that wanted unproven streetcar service where a light metro service was warranted.

I spent nearly $10 000 of my own money on these buffons to sell a light metro system.

A private builder of a light metro system could have messed up the construction just as well.

A private builder of a light metro system could have messed up the construction just as well.

We might yet see that... Let's see how the REM does. The Skytrain doesn't perform well in snowy conditions but that's a rarity in Vancouver, Montreal on the other hand....

That threshold was crossed a long time ago.

That's debatable. The Otrain does actually work as designed... sometimes. The metro line launched with a permanent go slow due to no signalling and caused massive traffic chaos by shutting down a major intersection during rush hour every few minutes while a train crawled past and that went on for almost two years. However we're probably now at the point where were even now.

We might yet see that... Let's see how the REM does. The Skytrain doesn't perform well in snowy conditions but that's a rarity in Vancouver, Montreal on the other hand....

Also note that the REM is using the "proven" metropolis trainset for Montreal. This is the same company that sold us Citadis, saying that they are "proven" with thousands of them worldwide and in snowy climes like Moscow and Stockholm and yet here we are.

That's debatable. The Otrain does actually work as designed... sometimes. The metro line launched with a permanent go slow due to no signalling and caused massive traffic chaos by shutting down a major intersection during rush hour every few minutes while a train crawled past and that went on for almost two years. However we're probably now at the point where were even now.
One major intersection may affect 50K vehicles per day, all of which have alternatives to get past the line. The O train delays have been plagued with:
- Icing Issues
- Snow issues
- low MDBF
- poorly constructed stations
- signal issues
- door issues (To the point in which stations require door guards)
- fare payment woes
- a lack of trains
- severe crowding issues
- severe bus crowding issues
- slip hazards
- a severely delayed opening
- Electrical Supply issues
- Poorly constructed infrastructure
affecting almost 200K riders, with no other alternatives to get downtown.

And the wonderful (horrible) public servants (leeches) that wanted unproven streetcar service where a light metro service was warranted.

I spent nearly $10 000 of my own money on these buffons to sell a light metro system.

I hope you are right about Montreal's REM, but don't gloat until we see those trains in operation particularly in winter. Montreal also faces the same climatic challenges as Ottawa and will use similar electrical delivery to the trains.

Back