News   Mar 28, 2024
 192     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 607     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 369     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

That being said, the Transitway logo is being phased out in favour of the big red O symbolizing all forms of higher order transit, and the O now appears on presto cards and as a cameo on bus stops
DgpL1uBVMAAD6ER.jpg

C6PergZVUAAVAfn.jpg

I did notice though the renderings for the crosstown seem to introduce a 'T' logo, similar to Vancouver, Seattle, Minneapolis and Boston

sun-march-25-metrolinx-avenue-station-sketch.jpg

Yup, exactly, rapid transit stations typically aren't identified by the agency's corporate logo with "subway" written under it. For example, the Montreal Metro logo isn't the STM logo, the Boston T logo isn't the MBTA logo, and the London Underground logo isn't the Transport for London logo. New York just uses the word "Subway".

I'm not sure how that concept might work for Toronto since we don't use a single term for all our different types of higher order transit. It would be interesting to see if the "T" in the Eglinton renderings will actually be used and if something like that could be adopted system-wide. Looks like they're envisioning the T to identify higher order transit with the specific type (subway, LRT, bus) under it. I like that approach for a city with a diverse range of transit types like Toronto. The fact that the T also stands for Toronto is a nice touch. I'd like to see something like that adopted system wide. The TTC corporate logo is classic but not an ideal way to identify subway and LRT stations.

Anyway I'm probably taking the conversation off topic so I'll just say that the big red "O" is a great way to identify rapid transit in Ottawa. Much better than the old Transitway logo.

Last edited:
I wish Toronto had done on the Finch Hydro Corridor, what Ottawa did on the Confederation Line.

I wish Toronto had done on the Finch Hydro Corridor, what Ottawa did on the Confederation Line.

Perhaps it's been discussed previously since I'm relatively new here, but is there an issue with induction running a catenary system near and parallel to high voltage lines? The Finch corridor has 6 x 230Kv circuits.

Perhaps it's been discussed previously since I'm relatively new here, but is there an issue with induction running a catenary system near and parallel to high voltage lines? The Finch corridor has 6 x 230Kv circuits.

If there is, I've never heard it. This could have been an awesome infrastructure project to bury the lines, and build grade separated surface LRT where possible while building a northern cross-town from Humber to Morningside Heights.

If there is, I've never heard it. This could have been an awesome infrastructure project to bury the lines, and build grade separated surface LRT where possible while building a northern cross-town from Humber to Morningside Heights.
What does this look like??
30517404143_deba0215e8_b.jpg

Any induction would be totally negligible. What are xmssn towers made of? Hint: They rust.

Induced energy, like all radiated energy, diminishes geometrically per given distance:
Inverse-square law - Wikipedia

Xmssn lines have far more of a concern for *intercepted* spikes than radiated ones. Solar pulses, for instance. It tends to knock out inter-regional systems unless highly protected. Ditto EMP from nuclear explosions.
In March 1989, Québec experienced a blackout caused by a solar storm
The Next 'Carrington Event' Could Cause a Global Blackout | Inverse
electromagnetism - How exactly does a solar flare cause a power

I suspect there won't be many problems with catenary...

I don't know the answer, I just raised the question. I get the Inverse-Square Rule and perhaps it is negligible, but remember the distance from the transmission lines to the catenary power will be less than to the ground. I also don't know if AC in the presence of DC makes a difference.

It's there: whether it is a significant issue was the question.

1541389913371.png

The image of the bus doesn't help much since there is no parallel power. The route lighting might suggest there is no impact but their power will be buried a couple of feet.

Buying the transmission lines would no doubt add several zeros to the project.

Consider this:
Electrification - Electric Power Company Co-Location / Overbuild of Transmission Lines with Catenary
Posted by Paul_D_North_Jr on Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:54 PM
As promised some months ago, here's a start on a little collection of photos of these in the Philadelphia area. I grew up seeing them fairly often, so I thought it was no big deal - evidently it is unusual, though.

[...]

The track is the NS - former Reading, then ConRail - Philadelphia-Reading main line along the Schuylkill River and the Schuylkill Expressway, on the west side of both, opposite the Manayunk section of Philly.
And one of the towers over the SEPTA ex-Reading Manayunk-Conshohocken-Norristown Branch, on the opposite/ east side of the river, at the School House Lane grade crossing, at:
- Paul North.
http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/172186.aspx

Be sure to read the comments at the link. More pics and semi-technical discussion. Bear in mind that LRTs (like Interurbans before them, and HSR) find the grades usually found along straight power corridors much more manageable than conventional trains.

I did notice though the renderings for the crosstown seem to introduce a 'T' logo, similar to Vancouver, Seattle, Minneapolis and Boston

From what I gather the "T" logo in these renderings is a placeholder. Meant to identify that there will be some kind of unique logo, but generic-looking enough so that people don't assume that that will be the logo.

I really must say that the Confederation Line is the best small rail transit system in Canada based on design alone, blows Calgary and Edmonton out of the water. The stations are beautiful and the alignment is so interesting.
That's a pretty low bar given the number of systems involved, but I'd argue it holds up pretty damn well even against the full list of American systems. Although by that standard it's true like for like competitor are what, Seattle (hardly small), Honolulu and Buffalo (very much a previous generation of system at this point)... Maybe St. Louis? Not too many that even approach light metro out there.

Back