News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

The entire O-Train system is being designed to be grade separated. A few years ago they removed the only at-grade pedestrian crossing on the Trillium Line and the extension to Riverside South will also be fully grade separated. Stage 3 to Kanata/Stittsville and Barrhaven is also being designed to be fully grade separate (with even some elevated sections on the Kanata extension).

The only at-grade rail system in Ottawa (not including Gatineau) there ever might be will be the Carling LRT if it's ever built.

That's an engineering issue down to many factors, and Ottawa actually got that wrong in some respects in some places.

I should have clarified my statement a bit. Ottawa basically set the budget as a ceiling, then made the tunnel fit the budget. During that design process the tunnel moved 1 block north, 25 m shallower, from twin bore to mined, and uOttawa station moved to the surface due to difficult soil conditions.

When watching the video it is hard to believe St Laurent once looked like this

transitway_stlaurent2.jpg

Phase II is also fully grade separated, but at the time the vehicles were selected the original thought was to go surface style out at the ends like the Crosstown. That idea has gone out the window now, so we essentially have a low-floor subway, especially since it's full ATO (though not fully automated).

Ignoring the low floor part, because it was a roadway before it was rail, LRVs were probably always going to be the choice. The geometry wouldn't be right for something that wasn't intended to run on roads.

Some of the Phase III extensions could very well wind up having at-grade crossings. And certainly the future Carling LRT will be a more Transit City-like design. It would make sense to have interoperability of vehicles, if not actual interlining, as part of that.

Also, I think when the Trillium Line inevitably goes electric, that the extension in Barrhaven (as per the original N-S LRT plan) will be at-grade.

I don't mind the decision to go with LRT instead of some other form of Metro, as it will likely save money on some of the suburban extensions where grade separation won't be essential.

When watching the video it is hard to believe St Laurent once looked like this

transitway_stlaurent2.jpg
It also looked like this in 1985 too. Ottawa had the most grandoise BRT stations for a long time. There's a bus terminal right above this, and it is directly attached to the mall.

Last edited:
I don't mind the decision to go with LRT instead of some other form of Metro, as it will likely save money on some of the suburban extensions where grade separation won't be essential.
I fully agree, forward compatibility for future re-use/re-assignment of vehicles.

lol...I watched that vid another two times last night! It might actually be changing some of my views on Toronto LRTs.

It also looked like this in 1985 too. Ottawa had the most grandoise BRT stations for a long time. There's a bus terminal right above this, and it is directly attached to the mall.
I do wonder why though they didn't repaint the overpass to the new colour scheme (same thought about Blair). It seems weird to have left bits of the stations former life behind.

I do love the murals though

Di3pUVEX4AAGRaC

[media]

OcTranspo just published this end to end video of the almost complete confederation line.

THIS is LRT. NOT the "centre-lane, stops at every traffic light" crap we are getting in Toronto.

We are getting "Streetcar Plus" in Toronto. (excluding the tunnel for Eglinton)

A shame. Even on Eglinton West where something akin to this was attempted its being shot down.

Nope, trains in the middle of the median, like weve always done here. We know best, put your blinders on folks, no other city knows better.

Wanna note that the gates ARE NOT identical, the Ottawa ones actually allow you to scan a QR code so that event tickets can include a transit pass or even more interesting phones could potentially be used.
I did vaguely notice that the sensor pads and on-screen configuration (which are modular addons) are custom accessories, but the gate base structure is the same model from the same manufacturer as the one in Toronto.

Like options on the same base Honda Civic car or Dell computer, same model, different options. So it appears we are both right from a different perspective.

So, while the base model is identical, the addon options are different.

Wanna note that the gates ARE NOT identical, the Ottawa ones actually allow you to scan a QR code so that event tickets can include a transit pass or even more interesting phones could potentially be used.

The main reason for the QR reader was how to handle bus-to-train connections. OC Transpo didn't want to force non-presto users to pay again. Paper presto cards would require an expensive refit on the buses, but it was practically free just to have the existing thermo printers spit out a QR code.

With the TTC they seem to have gone with you should have had a presto card approach, or you have to end at a station with a fare paid area for buses (which is a lot of them)

Last edited:
THIS is LRT. NOT the "centre-lane, stops at every traffic light" crap we are getting in Toronto.

We are getting "Streetcar Plus" in Toronto. (excluding the tunnel for Eglinton)

A shame. Even on Eglinton West where something akin to this was attempted its being shot down.

Nope, trains in the middle of the median, like weve always done here. We know best, put your blinders on folks, no other city knows better.

For me, to call this an "LRT" is a bit of a disservice. Crosstown, yes definitely LRT. But with this Confederation Line I'd say Ottawa is about to join the ranks of Canadian cities with a subway system. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and in a few months Ottawa. It's a special class. That they're using a weighty, low-floor urban tram vehicle can raise questions. Particularly with regards to the optimization of passenger mobility or energy efficiency. But either way they got themselves a subway line.

For me, to call this an "LRT" is a bit of a disservice. Crosstown, yes definitely LRT. But with this Confederation Line I'd say Ottawa is about to join the ranks of Canadian cities with a subway system. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and in a few months Ottawa. It's a special class. That they're using a weighty, low-floor urban tram vehicle can raise questions. Particularly with regards to the optimization of passenger mobility or energy efficiency. But either way they got themselves a subway line.

And thus launched another forum debate on the true definition of "subway" :D

And thus launched another forum debate on the true definition of "subway" :D

Indeed. In this case though, I would agree with his assessment. To me, what defines a subway is not the rolling stock, but the operating environment. Specifically, whether ATO can (theoretically) be used along the entire line.

I do too, but i expect the next several pages of this forum to be arguing about the semantics of light metro, rapid transit, lrt, subway, etc

Back