News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 371     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

The RoW is wide enough for double track and a generously wide trail. Just going with a trail is the result of lazy policy decisions by the Region of Peel.

Yep, and to the people that say we can put a trail now and then add tracks again later when the demand or need warrants it, I say good luck with that!

Yep, and to the people that say we can put a trail now and then add tracks again later when the demand or need warrants it, I say good luck with that!

We could build a trail now and add an easement immediately on adjacent property to make expropriation really easy (no structures, etc. in the way) if at some point we decide to double-track it and have a trail.

MTO is largely able to protect future highway corridors 40+ years in advance. The Minister of Transportation should apply those tricks to non-highway transportation too.

Last edited:
Does this mean the proposed bolton line is totally dead?
Bolton Line is a different route. Thats on a CPR mainline. That aint going nowhere, the issue is gettings CPR to allow MX to use a mainline!

Its the north american passenger rail paradox: If there is no or limited freight service allowing lots of passenger service, either the route is abandoned or its in such poor shape its faster to walk along the line. If there is lots of freight service the rails are Class 5 and impeccable but theres no room for passenger rail or if there is youre constantly stuck going 60kmh behind a freight train.

We could build a trail now and add an easement immediately on adjacent property to make expropriation really easy (no structures, etc. in the way) if at some point we decide to double-track it and have a trail.

MTO is largely able to protect future highway corridors 40+ years in advance. The Minister of Transportation should apply those tricks to non-highway transportation too.

Its not about any of that, its about NIMBYISM. Once people get used to there just being a trail in their backyards, they will fight tooth and nail to keep trains out of it.

Its not about any of that, its about NIMBYISM. Once people get used to there just being a trail in their backyards, they will fight tooth and nail to keep trains out of it.
It's not only that. Back when the Uxbridge sub was still owned by CN, towards the end it was something like one train per week. Subdivisions built up to it in several communities; then GO pushed north. I remember riding on GO through Markham and, every day, a guy who's house backed onto the ROW came out on his deck to give the finger to the train. People will fight tooth and nail to stop change - after they've settled.

It's not only that. Back when the Uxbridge sub was still owned by CN, towards the end it was something like one train per week. Subdivisions built up to it in several communities; then GO pushed north. I remember riding on GO through Markham and, every day, a guy who's house backed onto the ROW came out on his deck to give the finger to the train. People will fight tooth and nail to stop change - after they've settled.

Odd, as CN maintained a commuter train between Stouffville and Union after it eliminated passenger service to Lindsay in 1964, it later tried to eliminate it by cutting it to one direction service only, but it was ordered to restore the full service. GO Transit took it over in 1981.

There would have been a few freight trains to Lindsay a week before until 1990-1. But CN had no customers north of Unionville once Union Carbide in Lindsay closed, which led to the end of the Uxbridge-Lindsay track.

Odd, as CN maintained a commuter train between Stouffville and Union after it eliminated passenger service to Lindsay in 1964, it later tried to eliminate it by cutting it to one direction service only, but it was ordered to restore the full service. GO Transit took it over in 1981.

There would have been a few freight trains to Lindsay a week before until 1990-1. But CN had no customers north of Unionville once Union Carbide in Lindsay closed, which led to the end of the Uxbridge-Lindsay track.
We lived near the tracks in Goodwood from 1985-1991. I mainly recall one train/week but some weeks might have had more. I thought there was still the odd ag business from the Cannington branch that split off at Blackwater. Memories fade.

We lived near the tracks in Goodwood from 1985-1991. I mainly recall one train/week but some weeks might have had more. I thought there was still the odd ag business from the Cannington branch that split off at Blackwater. Memories fade.

That’s true! The Cannington spur (once the original Toronto and Nipissing Railway to Coboconk) lasted to the end of the Lindsay service. I guess it was just profitable enough to make the run up from Blackwater if it was already serving Union Carbide and whatever other industries had the occasional load in Lindsay. But the closure of UC made whatever else CN had that was unprofitable.

CN too had just taken over CP’s remaining customers in Lindsay after CN gave up its Peterborough customers to CP, so both could give up some of their marginal track in the area.

Yep, and the real estate agents back then sold people the houses on the promise that the train line would soon be dead and converted into a beautiful trail, as cars and highways were seen as the death of the railway age.

Yep, and the real estate agents back then sold people the houses on the promise that the train line would soon be dead and converted into a beautiful trail, as cars and highways were seen as the death of the railway age.
I have a really vague memory of either hearing or reading that, but can't recall what area it was in relation to (we've moved a fair bit). I have little sympathy for someone who buys up against a rail line, or arterial road for that matter, banking on its usage to never change.

I have a really vague memory of either hearing or reading that, but can't recall what area it was in relation to (we've moved a fair bit). I have little sympathy for someone who buys up against a rail line, or arterial road for that matter, banking on its usage to never change.

I have little sympathy now. But in the 1970's that did seem like where everything was going. The car was killing trains, and if the public sector didnt step in it would have continued that way.

Its pretty obvious today thats not the case however.

North of Mayfield
DJI_0265 (1).jpg

DJI_0266.jpg

DJI_0267.jpg

Back