News   Oct 02, 2024
 41     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 302     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 639     0 

Ontario's trillium gets a make-over

Re: Ontario's trillium gets make-over

I like the simple no-nonsense style of the old versions of the trillium.

The Civil Defense logo, with its bold CD conveyed a sense of seriousness that the Emergency Management logo does not. EM could easily be mistaken for a corporate logo.

You guys may know this already, but the Illinois DOT has a very Ontario-like trillium on its intelligent transportation signs in metro Chicago. I find it kind of interesting when I'm up in Chicago and it looks so similar to see the logo on the road.

www.dot.il.gov/default.asp

Check it out for yourself.

idot092002.jpg

What the?...

how do they get away with that? Maybe its 3 joined tires or donuts that look like a trillium.

That thought just gets me blood boilin'. I'd vote for any party that pledged to bring back the original trillium logo... when the current stationary runs out.

Fools.

This is great news! It looks like they've quietly dropped plans to change the logo! There's no sign of the three guys in a hot tub anywhere.

Unimaginative, I totally agree. If it's true that the new logo plan is dead, well, thank goodness!!!!!

Somebody at a great metropolitan daily want to check into this?

Hot Tub Boys Are Still Around

I don't think so. I've seen the three hot tub boys everywhere including at BMO field and just today on the commerical for Ontario Savings Bonds.

They are here to stay and government ministries are gradually using the new logo. While the solid Trillium logo is still on the gov.on.ca homepage, I'm willing to bet it will disappear completely if the Liberals get re-elected in October.

Louroz

My new health card and driver's license came in, and they've still got the old logo. It'll live on in my wallet for another five years.

I have only seen the new logo on promos and TV ads, not even on letterheads.The implementation really has been half-assed, and I hope it's dying quietly.

Ontario: Passionate about symbols?

Everyone: I had no idea that changing the Trillium logo would meet that much resistance to change let alone the political battle it has caused.
I would like to mention another Ontario symbol-the Ontario license plate. I have been a license plate collector since the late 70s-Ontario has not changed its blue and white license plate with crown logo since 1973.I have been told by knowledgable Ontario plate collectors that the logo and colors are of the PC Party of Ontario-I am somewhat surprised that even with Liberal or NDP governments that the plate was not changed in any way-are Ontarians that resistant to change? I would like to mention that with the 4-letter plates currently being issued that a new plate issue will probably NEVER happen and with the current format millions of letter/number combinations are available making change almost un-necessary for the foreseeable future. My thoughts here-LI MIKE

I also still think we've got one of the finest highway crests ("The Kings Highway") anywhere in NA - especially compated to the standard rectangular black numerals on white shape on black background sign most states have (though I like how some states have its outline, like OH, NV, AZ). Some of the other provinces, like BC and QC aren't bad either. Out signs have been simplified over the year, but the crown and shield-shape remain.

California's signs dare to be different - all cut-outs, even US highway shields.

Ah, if only we still had the system to match the shield. With all that Harris-era highway offloading, it's a wonder they didn't ditch the shield and "King's Highway" label on behalf of 407-style SAT-test bubbles...

Ontario highway signs

ST: I agree with you on the Ontario "Kings Highway" crown signs-I know of at least one Ontario plate collector that also collects old highway route signs-this sign that comes to mind is a porcelain enamel single-digit number sign in black and white with a nicely-detailed crown. I forget exactly-does ONT have a special design-like Quebec-for its 400 series limited access highways? another piece of trivia I recall is ONT Route 11-beginning in Toronto as Yonge Street-is the longest single-jurisdiction highway in N America at around 1100 miles. Yes - I also agree-a stand-out sign is one like California's or the Kansas Sunflower-compared to a generic ball sign used in states like New Jersey. LI MIKE

Highway 11 now starts in Barrie where the 400 peels off to the northwest, so 11 is around 100 km shorter than it used to be.

The related longest-street-in-the-world thing regarding Yonge Street is a load of manure anyway. 'Yonge' changes names again and again, starting in East Gwillimbury north of Newmarket. The actual Yonge Street ends south of Lake Simcoe in a marsh. Highway 11 is a long highway, but it's not the longest anything really.

Back