News   Jul 12, 2024
 866     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 350     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

FYI - the warning was not directed at you. Definition of Sockpuppeting

MoD
@lenaitch
In other words, creating multiple UT accounts is prohibited, especially when used for malicious purposes. Given this prohibition, ban evasion by creating a new account while the old account is banned is also prohibited and will lead to every account created being banned. Mods and admins can track users by IP addresses and if banned users use different IP addresses for ban evasion, accounts made from those would also be banned as mods and admins knows each malicious user's posting patterns.

Last edited:
On a highway like the 401, it is very little, but on a highway like 17, its almost 1/10th of the daily traffic. Add 10% more traffic to the 401 and it is even worse and even longer gridlock.
That's 100 trucks a day, or about 5% of daily traffic on a road that's already well below capacity. Not a big deal.

$40 million could build a lot of passing lanes and even a few town bypasses if they wanted. It's not giving you a 300km freeway, but it's substantial enough to make noticeable improvements.

Published on September 28th

The government is evaluating options

Natasha Tremblay, spokesperson for Ontario Minister of Francophone Affairs and Transport Caroline Mulroney, obviously has another vision. “The Ministry of Transportation continues to work with the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines and Ontario Northland to assess the feasibility of returning passenger rail service to Northeastern Ontario, one commitments made in the 2019 Ontario Budget. The ministry is aware of various studies related to the railroad in the north, including that of the Northern Policy Institute. ”

Natasha Tremblay mentions that the Ontario government is evaluating different options given the vast distances between the communities: rail transport for passengers or improvement of the intercommunity bus service. The spokesperson referred to the new bus lines connecting “passengers to the communities of Atikokan, Fort Frances and Emo. This is in addition to an earlier expansion in May that serves Thunder Bay, Kenora and Winnipeg ”.

The spokesperson adds "that ensuring the movement of people and developing the economy of this vital region" is a priority for her government. However, as Félix Leclerc sang, “the North train is like death, when there is no one on board…”.

A partnership between Diesel Electric Services and Ontario Northland between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury? That could be what the future holds for Huron Central, as the Ontario Government is reluctant to give any more money to G&W. Diesel Electric Services sure seems keen to get their hands on the line. Passenger trains have also been reportedly discussed. It will be interesting to see where this goes. Hoping for a positive outcome. Closing the line would be very bad for the region.

It would be nice. I wonder how the OVR is doing. Could that be given up as well?

A partnership between Diesel Electric Services and Ontario Northland between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury? That could be what the future holds for Huron Central, as the Ontario Government is reluctant to give any more money to G&W. Diesel Electric Services sure seems keen to get their hands on the line. Passenger trains have also been reportedly discussed. It will be interesting to see where this goes. Hoping for a positive outcome. Closing the line would be very bad for the region.

That is an update or an article that was lead, perhaps a year ago. I agree that the government seems reluctant to toss more money at G&W, particularly since the parent company is doing well but expects each line to carry itself. Governments also might have seen what occurred with Hudson's Bay where they played a little hardball and emerged with a good outcome.

I have heard surprisingly little about how OVR is faring, considering the only have one or two customers east of North Bay (I have no idea about their revenue between Sudbury and NB).

That is an update or an article that was lead, perhaps a year ago. I agree that the government seems reluctant to toss more money at G&W, particularly since the parent company is doing well but expects each line to carry itself. Governments also might have seen what occurred with Hudson's Bay where they played a little hardball and emerged with a good outcome.

I have heard surprisingly little about how OVR is faring, considering the only have one or two customers east of North Bay (I have no idea about their revenue between Sudbury and NB).

I really don't know of any viable customers between Coniston and North Bay. The one major industry in Sturgeon Falls - a paper plant - closed nearly twenty years ago.

^ The Googler shows an industrial customer just west of SF and perhaps a couple of ag. transload sidings, but certainly nothing of any volume. Obviously, the mine and mill traffic at either end keep the lights on.

What is the state of ONR right now especially in terms of traffic? I heard CN is going to sell or abandon their line to North Bay, so ONR may have fewer options to interchange not too long from now. This will also have an impact on any future return of the Northlander.

Do you have a link on that?

If it were up for sale, it would make sense for the ONR to try to get it. Someone can give more information on what goes where from the ONR after it gets to North Bay.

Not identified on their 2019 3-year network plan they filed with TC. The only part of the Newmarket sub affected is the discontinuance of the ~5 mile section south of Washago ('Longford Spur') because the single customer closed. Last reference I had - admittedly a little out of date - showed one train up-and-back per weekday plus Huntsville switcher (don't recall frequency).

^ Via a posting on this FB group:

(I can't find publication "Shortline News")

Huron Central Railway (HCRY) to cease operations in December 2020:

On October 6th, 2020 Genessee & Wyoming Canada (G&W) announced that subsidiary HCRY will shut down by the end of this year. GWCI's board met last month to confirm the decision, after discussions with federal and Ontario provincial governments failed to produce an agreement about a company proposal to "collectively invest" in the railroad's infrastructure, GWCI President Rick McLellan said in a press release. "While we have had constructive discussions with both governments, we have received no funding commitments," McLellan said. "We cannot delay this process any further and now must regrettably take this step."

The railroad operates along 173 miles of leased track to provide commercial freight service between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury in northern Ontario. It serves as a supply route for the region's forestry and steel industries, currently transporting more than 12,000 carloads of freight annually, GWCI officials said. Although the company planned to cease the railroad's operations in March, the timeline for closure was extended due to the coronavirus outbreak. "We are disappointed that we have not been able to find a long-term solution to save this strategic asset working with our federal and provincial partners," said McLellan. Huron Central's customers and 43 employees have been notified of the closure plan. Railroad officials are committed to maintaining service and full employment until the final train runs in December, they said.

(SHORTLINE NEWS) www.canadianrailwayobservations,.com

Back