News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

We spent 3 nights in Cochrane this summer on our way to and from Moosonee and Moose Factory via the train. It's quite a different pace for those used to Southern Ontario living. I'm glad to see the rail link.
We did the same back in the late 1990s. We stayed overnight at the station hotel. It was quite the drive from Toronto to Cochrane in my 3-speed, 90 hp Plymouth Sundance. We did a similar drive to the Soo for the Agawa Canyon run. Poor car was clapped out after that trip, I recall. If we had passenger service to either place we would have taken it.

If I understand it correctly, some runs will go to Timmins (Porcupine) and some will go to Cochrane.
It will start and end in Cochrane. From Cochrane, it will go to Timmins. It will then head to Toronto. From Toronto, it will head to Timmins. Then it will head to Cochrane.

It will start and end in Cochrane. From Cochrane, it will go to Timmins. It will then head to Toronto. From Toronto, it will head to Timmins. Then it will head to Cochrane.
Has that been settled? The last I heard the Timmins-Cochrane linked had yet to be determined. Their website doesn't offer much clarity:

"The Business Case selected by the province for return of the Northlander identifies Timmins as a terminus for service, with a rail connection for passengers traveling to Cochrane and connecting to the Polar Bear Express."

The words "terminus" (in Timmins) and "rail connection" (to Cochrane) don't seem to go together. Is it going to be some type of odd revenue-deadhead movement or some kind of rail-based shuttle?

Has that been settled? The last I heard the Timmins-Cochrane linked had yet to be determined. Their website doesn't offer much clarity:
Indeed, the map appears to show a bus, plus a separate train from Timmins to Cochrane.

mto-northern-rail-en-png-800x500-web_0.png

Indeed, the map appears to show a bus, plus a separate train from Timmins to Cochrane.

mto-northern-rail-en-png-800x500-web_0.png
If I were bound to/from Cochrane, I would rather connect with a shuttle bus at Matheson rather than schlepp all the way into Timmins, wait, then head back out. That would be conditional on the bus being an actual shuttle service for the train that will be timed for the trains actual times, not plopping me at a kiosk in Matheson. They will never be able to coordinate schedules with the PBX but at least Cochrane has hotels.

If I were bound to/from Cochrane, I would rather connect with a shuttle bus at Matheson rather than schlepp all the way into Timmins, wait, then head back out.
I don’t do intercity buses. I’ve seen too many in the ditch during the wintertime when I lived in Atlantic Canada, and nationally there always seems to be at least one horrific bus crash every year so so.

image.jpg

I’d take the train to Timmins. As the closest large town it would be a good place to stop over. But hopefully there are trains direct from Toronto to Cochrane.

Last edited:
If I were bound to/from Cochrane, I would rather connect with a shuttle bus at Matheson rather than schlepp all the way into Timmins, wait, then head back out. That would be conditional on the bus being an actual shuttle service for the train that will be timed for the trains actual times, not plopping me at a kiosk in Matheson. They will never be able to coordinate schedules with the PBX but at least Cochrane has hotels.
Some might do as you would, but the stop in Timmin would not be any worse than the stop in North Bay.

I don’t do intercity buses. I’ve seen too many in the ditch during the wintertime when I lived in Atlantic Canada, and nationally there always seems to be at least one horrific bus crash every year so so.

image.jpg

I’d take the train to Timmins. As the closest large town it would be a good place to stop over. But hopefully there are trains direct from Toronto to Cochrane.
Fair enough, except you would have to get from the proposed station to where the accommodations are. I assume taxis with no doubt rise to the occasion and, perhaps over time, a hotel or two might pop up near the station. Like most small cities, local transit is limited in routes and hours. In Cochrane there is literally one right at the station and another a short block away.

Some might do as you would, but the stop in Timmin would not be any worse than the stop in North Bay.
Perhaps, but the (road) distance miles from Matheson to Cochrane is about 85km. The (road) distance from Matheson to Timmins to Cochrane is around 200km, plus whatever time the station stop plus crew end-to-end change is.

Fair enough, except you would have to get from the proposed station to where the accommodations are. I assume taxis with no doubt rise to the occasion and, perhaps over time, a hotel or two might pop up near the station. Like most small cities, local transit is limited in routes and hours. In Cochrane there is literally one right at the station and another a short block away.

Perhaps, but the (road) distance miles from Matheson to Cochrane is about 85km. The (road) distance from Matheson to Timmins to Cochrane is around 200km, plus whatever time the station stop plus crew end-to-end change is.
It is a snow storm in February. Are you taking the shuttle or staying on the train? I know what my decision would be.

This a good compromise.

And if the proposed night service is true, the extra speed won't matter. Now if only those Venture cars came with a sleeper configuration....

After this service launches I hoped Ontario Northland also considers a Toronto - North Bay - Sudbury route to operate on alternate days. There's a significant population between the two cities.

This a good compromise.

And if the proposed night service is true, the extra speed won't matter. Now if only those Venture cars came with a sleeper configuration....

After this service launches I hoped Ontario Northland also considers a Toronto - North Bay - Sudbury route to operate on alternate days. There's a significant population between the two cities.
... one step at a time.

If we are going down that rabbit hole, a circular route of Toronto - Sudbury - North Bay - Toronto and Toronto - North Bay - Sudbury - Toronto daily would be wonderful.

... one step at a time.

If we are going down that rabbit hole, a circular route of Toronto - Sudbury - North Bay - Toronto and Toronto - North Bay - Sudbury - Toronto daily would be wonderful.
Agreed.

I'm really happy that Ontario Northland is taking the time to listen to plan for an optimal service. A night train in seats sucks but is way more comfortable than a bus.

I just hope there is a food car. I have fond memories of riding the train and ordering a nuked pizza and loading on the salt whilst watching the snowy landscape drift by.

Back