News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 980     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 369     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

You'd think. But reading the report they are more serious than that. And brand new trainsets?
That is because the old ones are now not available as they are used on the Polar Bear Express. So, you would need to refurbish the even older ex Polar Bear Express/Little Bear.

Most people,when pushing for the return, wanted the old one which did not go to Timmins, but kept going to Cochrane. It is good that it is going to Timmisn, but they can do better.

That is because the old ones are now not available as they are used on the Polar Bear Express. So, you would need to refurbish the even older ex Polar Bear Express/Little Bear.

Most people,when pushing for the return, wanted the old one which did not go to Timmins, but kept going to Cochrane. It is good that it is going to Timmins, but they can do better.
I'm not thinking of adding a stop in Timmins, per se, when I'm talking about the costs.

I'm sure they could have gotten something barely functional and used off VIA or Amtrak. And even rebuilds are possible given the lengthy timelines and ONR's strong abilities in that area.

I'm not thinking of adding a stop in Timmins, per se, when I'm talking about the costs.

I'm sure they could have gotten something barely functional and used off VIA or Amtrak. And even rebuilds are possible given the lengthy timelines and ONR's strong abilities in that area.

They could have. I am guessing the difference in cost wasn't enough to go used.

If I recall, the Business Case offered both new and used. I don't believe rebuilding ONR's existing passenger fleet was explored but, rather, obtaining used off the market or repurposing GO bilevels. The government chose new.

If I recall, the Business Case offered both new and used. I don't believe rebuilding ONR's existing passenger fleet was explored but, rather, obtaining used off the market or repurposing GO bilevels. The government chose new.
New is not a bad thing. If anything,it shows the government cares about doing this right. I may be annoyed about certain things, but overall, if this actually comes to fruition, I will be pleased.

Posted on LinkedIn. Haven't had time to look through the link so others may want to comment further cc @Northern Light

1695412466319.png

This is the bit that will interest people:

View attachment 508513
It's really exciting to see this moving forward. With the station upgrades it'll be nice to see station stop enhancements that give a better sense of urbanism. So a concrete path to the sidewalk of the towns. A nice connection with the built environment will do wonders to make the station feel better integrated.

Posted on LinkedIn. Haven't had time to look through the link so others may want to comment further cc @Northern Light

View attachment 508512
I note that they include South River on the list of station stops for enhancement. The last I heard it was still 'being considered'.

It's really exciting to see this moving forward. With the station upgrades it'll be nice to see station stop enhancements that give a better sense of urbanism. So a concrete path to the sidewalk of the towns. A nice connection with the built environment will do wonders to make the station feel better integrated.
With some of the stops, I wouldn't get too excited. The concept of 'urbanism', even the presence of a sidewalk, might be a bit much. Some of these stops will be a shelter, platform and a parking lot.

Welcome to Washago:

1695423203061.png

Washago is interesting as the actual, historic station is on the old Newmarket Sub alignment, away from the tracks. The north end of the Newmarket Sub was realigned to follow the Bala under Highway 11 to simplify the road and rail crossings in the area.
Maybe they should pay to move it.

Washago is interesting as the actual, historic station is on the old Newmarket Sub alignment, away from the tracks. The north end of the Newmarket Sub was realigned to follow the Bala under Highway 11 to simplify the road and rail crossings in the area.
It was apparently between the two original alignments as it has two bay (operator) windows, one on each side. The former Newmarket alignment can be seen from sat images.

It is used by MOW crews now. There is no need for a full station building; there is no staff or facilities.

With some of the stops, I wouldn't get too excited. The concept of 'urbanism', even the presence of a sidewalk, might be a bit much. Some of these stops will be a shelter, platform and a parking lot.
A sidewalk is good enough in the short term. If I can take a weekend trip to South River for a quick weekend gateway and have everything within walking distance of the train station (South River Brewing, BnB, trails, etc) I'll call that a win.

With fewer people owning cars in Toronto, tourism agencies like Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park need to get on board by advertising to urban people looking for an inexpensive weekend carless getaway.

A sidewalk is good enough in the short term. If I can take a weekend trip to South River for a quick weekend gateway and have everything within walking distance of the train station (South River Brewing, BnB, trails, etc) I'll call that a win.

With fewer people owning cars in Toronto, tourism agencies like Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park need to get on board by advertising to urban people looking for an inexpensive weekend carless getaway.
Well, the village is about 4sqkm for its 1100 residents, so certainly walkable.

Back