News   Jul 22, 2024
 517     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 615     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

I meant that when ONR had the TEE, they had to find a way to get the whole train into the shops to work on it.
Right and the locomotive was swapped out for F units because it couldn't handle Canadian winters. And the whole trainset was swapped out for the EX GO fleet that they have now.

Right and the locomotive was swapped out for F units because it couldn't handle Canadian winters. And the whole trainset was swapped out for the EX GO fleet that they have now.
Yes.
I was more eluding to the fact that ONR is not a stranger to DMUs. So, if they are to get some, they have past experience, albeit retired, on how it was done.

So, if they can find a long enough on that can have bunks, and it be reliable in our winters and able to handle the track conditions, then it should be as good or better than the way it was.

Those old GO coaches are the ones the Polar Bear Express uses.

Was the ONR TEE train a DMU? I thought it was like a typical GO train - power unit at one end and a cab car at the other.

One advantage of using freight power with APUs is it avoids orphan units.

AFAIK no part of the interior can be used.
Why would they replace the benches? To serve the buses?
The station is at least partially occupied by tenants. I suppose it could be returned to rail use with public spaces if somebody's lease was not renewed.

Perhaps the building has benches as a public space. It has a flagpole and a garden too. The town actually keeps the building quite nicely.

As far as I know, ON buses don't stop there anymore. There is a business in town that serves as an agency.

1669733622241.png

Also I didn't know that CN serves the Uxbridge Sub that far north. But I guess GO doesn't have the ability to switching so CN would be the only one to do it. That must be some rare mileage.
Unless GO has reconfigured (?) the subdivision, that mileage is in Scarborough, probably around the GECO spur. The subdivision was (is) measured from Lindsay.

Funny that Bracebridge and Huntsville stations are not located downtown. Gravenhurst and Party Sound are right downtown. Hopefully this new train service will allow people to travel between those cities without having to drive. Too bad Barrie is not along the way since it is the largest urban city before Toronto.
I was searching on Google Maps and noticed the RONA is next to the tracks. It would make a cute train station (seeing as Lowe's is exiting the Canadian market, if they abandon this RONA, could they make it a train station?)

I was searching on Google Maps and noticed the RONA is next to the tracks. It would make a cute train station (seeing as Lowe's is exiting the Canadian market, if they abandon this RONA, could they make it a train station?)

You might be on to something. The former station (shelter) was the next crossing north at Taylor Dr. The Rona property (formerly TimberMart formerly I can't recall but its been a lumber yard for years and years) was bought by the town and is to be re-developed as a 'public space'. Rona is moving west of the townsite on District Rd. 118.

Lowe's Canada/Rona has been bought by some US private equity firm. Bracebridge wasn't included in the initial 2019 announcement.

Back