News   Feb 26, 2021
 513     0 
News   Feb 26, 2021
 1.1K     0 
News   Feb 26, 2021
 2K     7 

Ontario Line (was Relief Line South, in Design)

superelevation

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know how many people here read Alon Levy but, I think this paragraph from one of his blogs would be of great value to many here:

"In that sense, the role of the planner is to say no – and moreover, to say no to charismatic groups representing much-romanticized people. No, dear mother with children, we will not build you a noise wall just because you think 140 km/h electric trains will reduce your quality of life. No, dear tradesman much-profiled as a non-college white voter, we will not hire you for $110/hour when there exist people who will do your job better than you can at $35/hour. No, dear third-generation business owner, we will not listen to what you think about traffic as we replace parking spots with bus lanes. No, dear anti-gentrification activist, we will not pay you as an equity consultant, we will just build the subway in the city. No, dear white flight homeowner, we will not build you a tunnel just to avoid taking a few houses through eminent domain. No, dear deindustrialized city leader, we will not require companies to set up factories in your city at high cost when we can get cheaper imports. "

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The reason construction of transit costs so much in North America and the UK is the Nimbyism and the degree to which we treat transit projects as if they are not just existing to serve a transportation need but, instead they must solve all social and city organization related ills. It's not enough to have a transit station to connect you to the city it has to also be one hundred other things. Do we need more libraries in Toronto? Maybe (though Downtown has several and getting to them on transit is a breeze), but it should not be the job of a transit project to do so many things which are not transit. Build the line which we have needed for 30-40 years now, build the library or whatever later.

This site was purchased by the City to be a Library and Heritage site.

It was not intended for a transit project, it was not purchased with transit money.

It is not owned by Metrolinx (yet).

No one is asking Metrolinx to do anything except leave what is not theirs alone, or work with with the City to accommodate both interests.

Further, your disinterest in Libraries notwithstanding, this is not for a net new branch.

Its to replace an existing branch that's tiny, and under-resourced and overcrowded with a branch several times larger that meets the needs of a community whose population has more than tripled since the original branch was built.

You are needlessly aggressive in your posts and derisive of those who frankly have more knowledge than you; kindly show more restraint.

Last edited:

officedweller

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Probably sifting lots of soil for old pottery shards and nails from the old structures - a bit like Oak Island! Apparently they were brick but were burned down by the Americans in 1813.
Maybe we should have the Americans pay for it? 😄

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Perhaps they could build a replica of the original building and have it as the station entrance.

I like the idea of reconstruction, but it would have to be for historical interpretation reasons and not just for decorating a subway station entrance. That's not to say that subway stations shouldn't have attractive architecture, art, and finishes, but the site could be so much more than that.

It would be fascinating to be able to tour a reconstructed first parliament building and then walk over to Queen's Park to see how we grew and evolved.

officedweller

Member Bio
Reaction score
Perhaps they could build a replica of the original building and have it as the station entrance.

I could see a mural, fritted glass or perforated steel rendering of the first parliament buildings forming the art installation for the station.
That's a no brainer versus something "whimsical".

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like this idea of a north/south station orientation since it could eventually be extended one station southward in the event we do something big at the Ex/OP (long-term). Still would like to see the potential for that at Lower Broadview/East Harbour. Def not saying it's needed. But part of me knows in 50yrs ppl will be arguing it was stupid to not at least plan for a subway spur into the east waterfront.

To follow up this is a quick n crude sketch of what I think a hypothetical Broadview South station could look like if aligned perpendicular to the GO tracks, thus allowing for future southward expasnion. I didn't measure the curves but they seem more than ample, the station would possibly be stacked (i.e - e/b and w/b on top of one another), and the proposed GO station...possibly nonexistent or moved east or west. Obviously this is fantasy stuff, but what isn't at this point. And it's a blank slate down there so now would be the time to propose something large and obtrusive like flyovers.

Naturally the bonus of this is if major sites were to come to the eastern waterfront in the distant future (e.g new NHL arena), or a change in land use with the closing of BB, the area could be served directly with a southward extension of the subway line.

DRL-OL-fantasy-Broadview-south-station.png

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
To follow up this is a quick n crude sketch of what I think a hypothetical Broadview South station could look like if aligned perpendicular to the GO tracks, thus allowing for future southward expasnion. I didn't measure the curves but they seem more than ample, the station would possibly be stacked (i.e - e/b and w/b on top of one another), and the proposed GO station...possibly nonexistent or moved east or west. Obviously this is fantasy stuff, but what isn't at this point. And it's a blank slate down there so now would be the time to propose something large and obtrusive like flyovers.

Naturally the bonus of this is if major sites were to come to the eastern waterfront in the distant future (e.g new NHL arena), or a change in land use with the closing of BB, the area could be served directly with a southward extension of the subway line.

View attachment 296365
That's some very complex interchanges just for one station and has a big potential for being more of a bottle neck then the end of the line stations.