Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

For a lot of people this is a community issue - isn't just about property values.

This is what happens when you gut plans that were years in the making in cooperation with the community in favour of doing whatever you want.

Once Ford and the Conservatives dedicated themselves to burying extensions at additional cost in less dense areas of the city (EWLRT & SSE), this was destined to be the result.

Last edited:
No, they're just spoilt bougie folk. Nothing new or surprising. The "neighbourhood character" squad. It's all the same folk. Can't have shelters. Can't have multi-family homes. Can't have public transit. This highway cutting the lake off from the city is fine though.

Property values sinking. In Toronto. Because of added necessary infrastructure. Negative impacts to "community" and "character".

Yeah....cool story, tell it again.

No, they're just spoilt bougie folk. Nothing new or surprising. The "neighbourhood character" squad. It's all the same folk. Can't have shelters. Can't have multi-family homes. Can't have public transit. This highway cutting the lake off from the city is fine though.

Property values sinking. In Toronto. Because of added necessary infrastructure. Negative impacts to "community" and "character".

Yeah....cool story, tell it again.

Your impression of Leslieville seems deeply disconnected from reality.

Ironically our illustrious Premier and his family are known for voting against shelters.

Your impression of Leslieville seems deeply disconnected from reality.
Is it? So, it's a poor, working-class neighbourhood where most people rent?

Or what am I not understanding about it?

I mean, it's possible, I've spent most of the last 20 years attempting to disconnect from reality.

Yeah, might be because our "illustrious" premier is also a spoilt NIMBY tit.

Not sure why you bring him up though and him voting against shelters as if implying that someone calling out Leslieville locals for being spoilt NIMBY prats makes one automatically enamoured with our premier.

Nice try though.

Is it? So, it's a poor, working-class neighbourhood where most people rent?

Or what am I not understanding about it?

I mean, it's possible, I've spent most of the last 20 years attempting to disconnect from reality.

You don't think there are any multi-family homes in Leslieville?

No transit?

No shelters?

No transit?

No shelters?

You must be joking.

I know there are all of the above, and that has nothing to do with the spoilt locals crying about transit improvements.

Are they or are they not moaning about transit improvements because they'll be overground?
Why?

No transit?

No shelters?
The poor millionaires getting a subway station next to their house so now they're multi millionaires.

:(

"Not in my backyard!" they shriek

1611712476601.png

Hey, the inverse is poor people near the island airport moaning about that because they're jealous they can't afford to use it.

It takes all kinds to build a NIMBY village. ;)

I should know, I'm a NIMBY myself....as in why is there a highway cutting the city off from its lake front? :p

The Overlea routing was partially reconsidered to allow the MSF to be along the line (as opposed to on a spur). If they’re doing that for the MSF, there’s no way the above will be considered.
That's some very complex interchanges just for one station and has a big potential for being more of a bottle neck then the end of the line stations.

I'm sure it wouldn't work all that well. Particularly with the "40tph" thing. But if anyone else has an idea for a spur/revenue-service wye, be it for the eastern waterfront or elsewhere, I wouldn't mind hearing it. A subway line from scratch, with supposedly tighter and more nimble rolling stock, this is the time to think of opportunities. Again not saying build a spur, rather plan for one to be in place in some indefinite future. How would it look or work.

I am on the fence in this matter. On one hand, interests of one small city block must not overwrite the massive transit project, immensely important for the whole city. People living at the edge of downtown core, and near the busiest train corridor in the country, have to accept the fact that the city will build more infrastructure and some of it will be located next to them.

On the other hand, if the provincial government was going for the optimal capacity, rather than just enough for the first 15 years of service, then the line would stay under Queen in order to afford more capacity. And we wouldn't be having any Leslieville debate. Appeasing the locals isn't the main goal here, but it would be in match with the sound long-term capacity planning.

I am on the fence in this matter. On one hand, interests of one small city block must not overwrite the massive transit project, immensely important for the whole city. People living at the edge of downtown core, and near the busiest train corridor in the country, have to accept the fact that the city will build more infrastructure and some of it will be located next to them.

On the other hand, if the provincial government was going for the optimal capacity, rather than just enough for the first 15 years of service, then the line would stay under Queen in order to afford more capacity. And we wouldn't be having any Leslieville debate. Appeasing the locals isn't the main goal here, but it would be in match with the sound long-term capacity planning.
Well if the Province was going for optimal capacity the OL wouldn't be a thing and we would still be building the DRL. However that ship for the moment has sailed and if this new technology allows us to reduce costs by bringing the line above ground more easily then full size subway tech, then we should make the most of it.

Well if the Province was going for optimal capacity the OL wouldn't be a thing and we would still be building the DRL. However that ship for the moment has sailed and if this new technology allows us to reduce costs by bringing the line above ground more easily then full size subway tech, then we should make the most of it.
That's the problem with this line.

They aren't going for maximal capacity with the only project on the books that absolutely requires it.

Sticking with the previous plan would've eliminated both of these problems.

Sticking with the previous plan would've eliminated both of these problems.
While also providing service to fewer residents. The Ontario Line capacity may not be as high as the DRL but it is certainly more than enough to serve its main purpose. My guess is that the increased amount of residents the Ontario line serves, and the exposure it will give to Toronto residents of viable modes other than traditional subways will be well worth slightly less (but still sufficient) capacity. Also, I certainly think new transit should overrule any new development or nimbys without valid arguments but I do think Metrolinx could be a little nicer and more respectful about it.

Ford has been ignoring these people, that's why there's a problem.

When it comes to downtown Toronto it's crystal clear Ford isn't 'For The People'. He's for doing whatever he wants.
Huhhh, lets see..

Now, how many people have been ignored... like maybe a few hundred Leslieville NIMBYs max?

Now, how many people benefit... lets see..
- pretty much anyone in Flemingdon Park, Thorncliffe Park
- literally anyone who uses the OL in Leslieville now that they no longer need to climb like a 10 storey building to get to a train
- pretty much any transit user in like a third of North York and Scarborough
- literally anyone who commutes on the Yonge or Danforth subway
- literally every taxpayer, who saves money thanks to the govt not wasting several billion to please a couple hundred NIMBYs

Back