Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I like this idea of a north/south station orientation since it could eventually be extended one station southward in the event we do something big at the Ex/OP (long-term). Still would like to see the potential for that at Lower Broadview/East Harbour. Def not saying it's needed. But part of me knows in 50yrs ppl will be arguing it was stupid to not at least plan for a subway spur into the east waterfront.

To follow up this is a quick n crude sketch of what I think a hypothetical Broadview South station could look like if aligned perpendicular to the GO tracks, thus allowing for future southward expasnion. I didn't measure the curves but they seem more than ample, the station would possibly be stacked (i.e - e/b and w/b on top of one another), and the proposed GO station...possibly nonexistent or moved east or west. Obviously this is fantasy stuff, but what isn't at this point. And it's a blank slate down there so now would be the time to propose something large and obtrusive like flyovers.

Naturally the bonus of this is if major sites were to come to the eastern waterfront in the distant future (e.g new NHL arena), or a change in land use with the closing of BB, the area could be served directly with a southward extension of the subway line.

DRL-OL-fantasy-Broadview-south-station.png

To follow up this is a quick n crude sketch of what I think a hypothetical Broadview South station could look like if aligned perpendicular to the GO tracks, thus allowing for future southward expasnion. I didn't measure the curves but they seem more than ample, the station would possibly be stacked (i.e - e/b and w/b on top of one another), and the proposed GO station...possibly nonexistent or moved east or west. Obviously this is fantasy stuff, but what isn't at this point. And it's a blank slate down there so now would be the time to propose something large and obtrusive like flyovers.

Naturally the bonus of this is if major sites were to come to the eastern waterfront in the distant future (e.g new NHL arena), or a change in land use with the closing of BB, the area could be served directly with a southward extension of the subway line.

View attachment 296365
That's some very complex interchanges just for one station and has a big potential for being more of a bottle neck then the end of the line stations.

View attachment 296365
The Overlea routing was partially reconsidered to allow the MSF to be along the line (as opposed to on a spur). If they’re doing that for the MSF, there’s no way the above will be considered.

Something tells me that these same people won't be complaining when the line is done and their property has doubled in value due to being at a subway station. They are crying now but in 10 years they will be laughing..........all the way to the bank.
They're crying because they could have gotten an even bigger windfall if it were buried.

Ford should just ignore all these people and get on with it like Klein did with the NW LRT. He wanted it built for the Olympics and there was a lot of resistance from some areas and he basically just told them to go to hell and went ahead regardless.

In the OL case it is even more extreme because these elevated portion is along a currently used rail corridor. I hate it when people bitch about the noise of railways or highways when they choose to move right beside one.

Ford has been ignoring these people, that's why there's a problem.

When it comes to downtown Toronto it's crystal clear Ford isn't 'For The People'. He's for doing whatever he wants.
Well sorry to the people of Leslieville that he's building an above ground line in an EXISTING RAIL CORRIDOR THAT ISN'T EVEN IN LESLIEVILLE PROPER.

Something tells me that these same people won't be complaining when the line is done and their property has doubled in value due to being at a subway station. They are crying now but in 10 years they will be laughing..........all the way to the bank.
Some of them actually say their property values will be "gutted." I can see a decrease near-term (through the construction years), but no way will there be a permanent decrease. This is like winning the property lottery in some ways.

I also had friends recently move out of Guelph's Junction nabe as they felt Metrolinx's plans in the area would decrease their values substantially too. So it does seem ingrained in some people, despite not being generally true.

Last edited:

Back