News   Apr 16, 2024
 141     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 532     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Ontario Line Extension West of Ontario Place (Speculation)

Is there room for 2 more tracks along that alignment, with it already carrying the Milton, Kitchener, Barrie, UP lines - not to mention VIA and possibly the proposed GO Bolton service?

Though I scratch my head about using 2 of the 6 possible tracks on Lakeshore East for a short distance with a line that could be tunnelled; as it's looking like Lakeshore East, Stouffville, and both the VIA HFR and Kingston services are going to to on there; possibly GO Peterborough as well.
Many of the GO train lines could share the same stations. If they had the proper signalling system.

Look at New Jersey, with all their trains going into Penn Station in New York City...

blank.gif
blank.gif
station_selector_2016.jpg

From link.

Is there room for 2 more tracks along that alignment, with it already carrying the Milton, Kitchener, Barrie, UP lines - not to mention VIA and possibly the proposed GO Bolton service?

Though I scratch my head about using 2 of the 6 possible tracks on Lakeshore East for a short distance with a line that could be tunnelled; as it's looking like Lakeshore East, Stouffville, and both the VIA HFR and Kingston services are going to to on there; possibly GO Peterborough as well.
Go up Dufferin, turn on queen, turn on Roncesvalles, up Keele to Mount Dennis. Add stations at Rogers and Junction.

IF, big IF, we get GO/UPX and TTC fare integration, the northwest railway corridor may provide rapid transit access.

44101-130395.jpg

From link.

With stations at Spadina-Front, King-Liberty, Park Lawn, Bloor-Lansdowne, St. Clair-Old Weston, Caledonia, and Mt. Dennis, along with other existing stations, we may have something soon. Only if they service is frequent enough (headways of better than 15 minutes?) and fare integration.

Last edited:
IF, big IF, we get GO/UPX and TTC fare integration, the northwest railway corridor may provide rapid transit access.

44101-130395.jpg

From link.

With stations at Spadina-Front, King-Liberty, Park Lawn, Bloor-Lansdowne, St. Clair-Old Weston, Caledonia, and Mt. Dennis, along with other existing stations, we may have something soon. Only if they service is frequent enough (headways of better than 15 minutes?) and fare integration.
The only issue is that the Ontario Line doesn’t connect with the ST line west of Union. It’s a shame that there isn’t some kind of transfer between the Liberty Village ST station and the Lakeshore line/Ontario Line to the south. One remedy would be to extend the Ontario Line with one additional station at Queen and Dufferin with an indoor transfer to the Liberty Village ST station. Eventually the OL line could be extended straight north along Dufferin or it could interline with the Go line like UPXpress

The 2010 study is available here. Its analysis came down to the map above OR using the Barrie Line to ~Steeles, then coming across the CN mainline to swing north at the 'Woodbridge' station above, by the Humber River. I'd heard that the Kitchener line was pretty full south of Weston, particularly with Milton coming in south of Bloor, but who knows, and they wanted to take advantage of the double tracking investments on Barrie line. Doing so would eliminate Emery, which would be a nice Finch West interchange station.

I will say though, that the new platform for the 4th track being built at Weston would have the ability for a 5th track on the CP corridor-side...they'd likely hive it off the mainline south of Weston, have it run its own Platform 5, then immediately merge into the CP line before the rest of the corridor dives into its Weston tunnel.

Last edited:
Looks like the province would like to extend the line to Kipling and then to the airport:

I imagine it would continue using the GO corridor until it headed north to the airport.

So much for an extension to Dundas. Not great for YUS relief.

Not great for YUS relief.
You’re not WRONG, but I honestly don’t see the need for relief in that form so close to the GO corridor. We really will have subway like frequency from Dundas West to Union under even the most minimal imaginable versions of GO expansion, while something IS pretty clearly needed on roughly the 427 alignment. A BRT extension does make some sense over there, but would never get anything like direct downtown access in it’s own right.

My my hope would be to take the line off the Lakeshore corridor and follow the Gardiner alignment west of Humber, serve Sherway with the OL extension and connect to BD with a surface extension of the subway south through via the CP corridor (coordinated with building the new yard).

Looks like the province would like to extend the line to Kipling and then to the airport:

I imagine it would continue using the GO corridor until it headed north to the airport.

So much for an extension to Dundas. Not great for YUS relief.

How would it use the GO corridor to go to Kipling and then to the Airport? The Milton and Kitchener lines branch off.

Perhaps they want to resurrect the Etobicoke RT idea through the hydro corridor.

Then it sounds like continuing north and along the 407 corridor.

The map actually doesn't show the OL going to Kipling from Exhibition, and I'm not sure if this is a mistake or intentional. Currently its about 3/4 of a full loop, with the new extension stretching from Pearson up to RHC and then down to Science Centre.

The map actually doesn't show the OL going to Kipling from Exhibition, and I'm not sure if this is a mistake or intentional. Currently its about 3/4 of a full loop, with the new extension stretching from Pearson up to RHC and then down to Science Centre.
There was nothing about a connection between Kipling and Exhibition in the draft either. I think they call it a loop because its the closest thing to call it, calling it the Ontario 7/9th of a loop is a bit of mouthful I think

oh yay another low-res napkin drawn image showing a new transit line WOOO it somehow dissapears at exhibition then reappears north of kipling GO?
note the #30 which is apperently the loop to pearson. note the number below the pearson transit hub and above the current Sheppard subway

An LRT that goes up the 412, across the 407...more useful as a regional rail though.

check out page 23 for all the thought of transit projects. sheppard subway, hurontario north, ion stage 3
, waterfront west, eglinton east, finch west to finch station, jane LRT, a major mackenzie transit line, a transit line on leslie
1646943245599.png

1646943311286.png

How would it use the GO corridor to go to Kipling and then to the Airport? The Milton and Kitchener lines branch off.

Perhaps they want to resurrect the Etobicoke RT idea through the hydro corridor.

Then it sounds like continuing north and along the 407 corridor.

I meant it would use the GO Corridor until Kipling then branch off.

oh yay another low-res napkin drawn image showing a new transit line WOOO it somehow dissapears at exhibition then reappears north of kipling GO?
note the #30 which is apperently the loop to pearson. note the number below the pearson transit hub and above the current Sheppard subway
Someone should read the discussion that occurred on the previous page 🤣

Back