News   Apr 26, 2024
 664     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 232     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 716     0 

Ontario Line Extension West of Ontario Place (Speculation)

Quoted from main Ontario Line thread.

I like Option 2.

Would it make sense to extend option 2 to Dufferin and the rail corridor, and relocate Exhibition GO to Dufferin to create an interchange? As illustrated:

View attachment 181407
  • I deliberately wanted the station on an east-west alignment so that extension is possible. After reading years of discussion on the DRL West thread - I still think there is no consensus forming on whether it should go up Dufferin, or Keele, or somewhere in between. This is a good termination point for now, and Dufferin is a very reasonable choice for the extension.
  • I am not sure how many transfers there will be between the O-Line* and GO - whether it is a high capacity interchange, or just and interchange for connectivity. If the latter, the GO platform does not even need to move that far. (* - I suspect this will be nicknamed the O-Line, as opposed to the O-Train in Ottawa. That also opens the door for renaming the Y-Line, B-Line, E-Line, F-Line and the S-Line).
  • Even with or without the extension up Dufferin, should the Harbourfront LRT (streetcar) have a large diameter loop that goes around the entire Ex property. In addition to the existing stop at "Ricoh Colosseum" (sorry Coke), it would have a stop closer to Medieval Times, another next to BMO roughly on top of the O-Line Station, and possibly one near Princes' gate (about 600m spacing on average).
OP 2.jpg

Who said that portion around the Ex would be tunneled? Perfect place for elevated rail
The thing with elevated rail is that it's hard to switch from elevated to underground. As the line emerges from the ground and has adequate elevation to clear obstacles (such as vehicular or train traffic), it requires about 500m to 750m where nothing major (short of pedestrians) can cross. It also means that the depth must be very shallow approaching this emergence from the ground - meaning there must have been a TBM launch or extraction point, or cut-and-cover, immediately before this. I can't really see anywhere along this route (from Yonge to Ex) where this can be done, except for on the Ex grounds themselves. And by that time, what's the point, because it's easy to be cut-and-cover by then since there's likely few utilities under there.

How about some type of people mover from Exhibition GO to Ontario Place separate from this line. Like the suggestion for one from Union to Queens Quay so those waterfront streetcars don’t have to detour to Union

How about some type of people mover from Exhibition GO to Ontario Place separate from this line. Like the suggestion for one from Union to Queens Quay so those waterfront streetcars don’t have to detour to Union

On one hand, it should be easy to build a people mover around Exhibition; not too many obstacles, and not too many riders.

But on the other hand, if the streetcar itself can loop around the place, then a separate infrastructure might not be needed.

I would rather send it through the employment area north of Steeles.
You mean at highway 7 (and Leslie). There is not much for 5.5 km between Seneca and 407. The extension to Seneca College I can see being needed. Beyond that I just don't know.

You mean at highway 7 (and Leslie). There is not much for 5.5 km between Seneca and 407. The extension to Seneca College I can see being needed. Beyond that I just don't know.

I meant more the IBM offices and surrounding areas in the Vic Park Steeles area. To be fair, that area is so spread out and low density that a single stop won't really provide much coverage.

It could connect with Exhibition GO and next to Liberty Village GO to intercept both western GO lines, and it already intercepts East Harbour in the east.

It could connect with Exhibition GO and next to Liberty Village GO to intercept both western GO lines, and it already intercepts East Harbour in the east.

If using existing Toronto stations as an example, if a station is 500 feet long or 150 metres, the ends of the station box could serve both.

Yah, maybe this one is not that bad.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-ontario-place-speculation.29469/post-1440132

It would turn onto White Squirrel Way https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6432659,-79.4197132,263m/data=!3m1!1e3
Demolish a few houses next to the Brampton (Kitchener) GO line to get onto Hanna Ave. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6404864,-79.41893,527m/data=!3m1!1e3
And then cross the LSW GO line. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6353617,-79.4189357,527m/data=!3m1!1e3

I hope the final design would end up being something like this. The Ontario line should interchange with the planned GO RER station in Liberty Village, and it would be a shame not to service all the high density areas further west of Spadina.

This is roughly like what I'd want to see. Not necessarily the part going up Dufferin, but a spur to the Ex grounds leaving a western extension open for the future. And since this is all fantasy land, I'd leave the door open in the east for another short spur into the Port Lands. Mirroring this and bookending the whole thing. The massive Ex grounds are deserving of a subway station with everything they have there today, and who knows what could one day exist at Villiers or the Hearn. The opportunity for a similar eastern spur should be future-proofed into the system.

Since we're talking narrower nimbler trains, the section between Broadview and Dufferin-ish would be 4-track to enable the separate services the line would see. Don't want to discuss specifics of DLR and am not making any direct reference, but since it's in the open this grade-separation is a sight to see (multiple flyovers and flyunders): https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.5075828,-0.0202814,99m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I hope the final design would end up being something like this. The Ontario line should interchange with the planned GO RER station in Liberty Village, and it would be a shame not to service all the high density areas further west of Spadina.

View attachment 181384

What a masterpiece! Even if the DRL is never expanded further west of Exhibition GO, you could see how the proposed Waterfront West LRT could naturally and easily branch out from this point south to Ontario Place then west along Lakeshore Blvd into southern Etobicoke. Interlining with the streetcar tracks on Dufferin and expansion of trackbed north of Queen could occur as well, for a continuous LRT service from Union to Fairbanks Stn on the Crosstown via Dufferin Mall, Dufferin Stn and Corso Italia. Hell, even extend the 47 south along Jameson and Springhurst to Exhibition Stn for more connectivity. Genius.

Back