News   Jul 23, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 594     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.8K     3 

Ontario limits Transit EAs to six months!

An express train would take 22 minutes, but a train that stops at all the existing Georgetown line stations would probably only take 8 minutes more.

As my mom used to say, "you spit and the time is gone."

Hume's take on this...

Curbing transit reviews a step on road to better way
Feb 11, 2008 04:30 AM
TORONTO STAR
Christopher Hume

In a world gone mad, every sign of sanity, no matter how small, is big.

So when news came late last week that Premier Dalton McGuinty and his cabinet have decided to limit the environmental assessment process on transit projects to six months, one couldn't help but cheer.

The sheer rightness of McGuinty's move stands out as a rare yet shining example of political leadership. McGuinty will be criticized for his decision, those who disagree will go on about how undemocratic it is, but it's a badly needed step we needed to take.

The reality is that environmental assessments have become a very handy device for NIMBYs and governments to stop transit development when it doesn't suit them.

Forgotten along the way is the fact that public transit is by definition more environmentally friendly than the alternative, the single-occupancy car. That never seemed to have been taken into consideration. But how can any public transit scheme that gets people out of cars be anything other than environmentally desirable?

It's true that assessments are meant to examine impacts on people as well as nature, economies as well as environments. But that can mean different things. A development might be good for the city, but bad for a neighbourhood. If you believe what you hear, that's usually the case.

That's why the subtext to the whole EA process had little to do with the environment and everything to do with politics. It can be manipulated to reach any conclusion, or prove any point. Mostly, though, it was a very effective way to delay, to stall indefinitely, to put off to the next decade what might cause political discomfort now.

But in truth there isn't a proposal of any sort, especially something as comprehensive as public transit, that doesn't offend somebody somewhere.

McGuinty's newly imposed limits will themselves become the object of NIMBY wrath. Indeed, within hours of the story appearing in the Star last Friday, emails had started to fly; the first came from Margaret Smith, she who has spent the last few years of her life trying to stop the St. Clair streetcar right-of-way.

"This regulation is a tragedy," she wrote, "and it should not be made law. Public consultation should be two-sided, meaningful and part of sustainable planning."

Who could argue with that? Of course, the community should be consulted. But what the Smiths of the world refuse to accept is that at some point a decision must be made, and that sometimes those decisions will not be popular with certain groups, maybe including the Smiths.

One can only imagine what would happen if we set out to build the Yonge subway today; the howls of outrage would be long and loud. Loudest of all would be merchants screaming about the damage construction would do to their businesses.

They'd probably be right, but does that mean the answer would be to cancel the subway?

These are hard choices, and the outcomes won't please everyone. No doubt, new streetcar lines will disrupt some people's lives. But in the long run, the city and its inhabitants will be better off. Given that public transit in the Toronto region has fallen two or three decades behind Europe and Asia, there's no time to waste.

The real debate should be about routes, transportation modes and why a city like Madrid can build subways at one-quarter what it costs us.

A big part of the extra expense is the EA process itself. Now McGuinty has removed a huge obstacle that stood on the road between Toronto and its future.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

Its interesting to note that Steve Munro has a problem with the new EA regs because of the declared technology clause. Transit City just so happened to be to his liking, but he worries that these new regulations could result in a subway being built when an LRT is more suitable. I know people on this board are feeling the opposite about Transit City, but that's another story.

The real debate should be about routes, transportation modes and why a city like Madrid can build subways at one-quarter what it costs us.

Wow, this is like the first time I've ever agreed with Hume!

This EA change just reinforces the silly belief that streetcars are super-quick and super-cheap improvements over buses that we have to get rolling without a moment's delay...and that subways are impossible and not worth building anywhere. We're going to spend billions of dollars over many years on these LRT lines and we've given absolutely zero thought to whether or not they are appropriate everywhere. The only way they can be cobbled together into a real transit network is with the addition of more lines costing billions of additional dollars...funny how we'll reject any and all subway projects due to cost and then we'll turn around and say we can't afford not to spend a cumulative $8, 10, maybe 12+ billion dollars on streetcars.

This EA change just reinforces the silly belief that streetcars are super-quick and super-cheap improvements over buses that we have to get rolling without a moment's delay...and that subways are impossible and not worth building anywhere. We're going to spend billions of dollars over many years on these LRT lines and we've given absolutely zero thought to whether or not they are appropriate everywhere. The only way they can be cobbled together into a real transit network is with the addition of more lines costing billions of additional dollars...funny how we'll reject any and all subway projects due to cost and then we'll turn around and say we can't afford not to spend a cumulative $8, 10, maybe 12+ billion dollars on streetcars.

Yes and no, I think. I have no problem with LRT at all, in fact, I actually really like LRT.

But as you also point out, there has to be some high level planning about which mode fits best, and where. I definitely agree with you on that.

If they insist on keeping Sheppard as subway, then they should expand that subway line and not make this a Transfer City nightmare.

I mean if Eglinton gets built as LRT I'll be able to live with it I think, but not finishing what they started on Sheppard is shortsighted.

If they insist on keeping Sheppard as subway, then they should expand that subway line and not make this a Transfer City nightmare.

I mean if Eglinton gets built as LRT I'll be able to live with it I think, but not finishing what they started on Sheppard is shortsighted.

we could have had both as subways. imagine what could have been.

that was not the fault of the current govt...

Yes and no, I think. I have no problem with LRT at all, in fact, I actually really like LRT.

But as you also point out, there has to be some high level planning about which mode fits best, and where. I definitely agree with you on that.

I'm not suggesting there should be no LRT...many, many times I've said the Finch West line could be great. Lawrence East would be another good place for it. The problem is that other lines should be subway and still other lines should remain buses. Absolutely none of Transfer City is based on such crazy things as planning principles or ridership stats, and absolutely all of Transfer City is based on politics, even more so than the SRT or the Sheppard/Eglinton lines. I weep for this city's future.

^ The weeping starts with the lost 8kms of Sheppard Subway, right? If all the Transit City lines were BRT, would you be so negative about it still?

Well then why gripe? If you know anything about how the TTC operates, you'll know they have a tendency of starting up projects and either never finishing them or take a long time to complete. By the time one line's built, say your favorite Finch West, inflated cost projections will discourage the sTTingy C from going any further and switch to BRT philosophy.

If Eglinton (Pearson-Guildwood or UTSC) were built as a multi-year phase plan of cut-and-covered subways, and Sheppard/BD to STC- Toronto would be pretty set subway wise. Eglinton Crosstown (and its appendage Scarborough-Malvern) is the crown jewel of Transit City and in no uncertain terms should be left as a local bus corridor. I'll be the first to bet not every line's gonna get built and definitely not in the multibillions ($2 billion for the Eglinton-Crosstown line inclusive of a 8.5 km tunnel is modest).

this is really good news..thats in hope the Province will soon manage transit across the region as a whole..

Back