News   Mar 28, 2024
 226     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 277     0 

Ontario legalizing e-scooters!!! (Bird, Lime, segway, electric kickscooter, micro mobility, electric skateboards)

I think they should be allowed for private personal use (but not rideshare).
The complaints were about the danger to pedestrians and the disabled (as well as the 'dumping' of rental ones) so, though only private use might reduce the problems this would not remove the whole problem.

I think they should be allowed for private personal use (but not rideshare).

I mean, they basically are "allowed". Anything thats not a domestic dispute or homicide etc rarely gets any police attention in Toronto. I'm not advocating breaking the law, just stating that private e-scooters and e-skateboards etc are everywhere in this city already. Its about as not allowed as that friend you had as a child whose parents disciplines were entirely empty threats and he got away with everything.

My only frame of reference is the first time I took a trip to another city and saw them in action.
The first one or two riders I saw, I thought it was cool.
Then I saw them dumped on sidewalks and in public spaces. It's all too easy to imagine the mess they'd make on Toronto's narrow sidewalks or left in piles in places like Harbourfront or Dundas Square.

As a mobility device, I like the idea.
But practically, the idea of dockless scooters has more negatives than positives, based on what I've seen.

I mean, they basically are "allowed". Anything thats not a domestic dispute or homicide etc rarely gets any police attention in Toronto. I'm not advocating breaking the law, just stating that private e-scooters and e-skateboards etc are everywhere in this city already. Its about as not allowed as that friend you had as a child whose parents disciplines were entirely empty threats and he got away with everything.
Yes, agreed. It should just be formalized. And strict enforcement for use on sidewalks. I suspect they are actually more dangerous than bikes on sidewalks due to worse control.

Back