News   Apr 25, 2024
 213     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 566     0 

Ontario legalizing e-scooters!!! (Bird, Lime, segway, electric kickscooter, micro mobility, electric skateboards)

I love the rise of E-scooters and E-bikes, but I find these pay-per-use services to be quite expensive for what it is (last mile solution).

The pricing in Calgary is $1+$0.30/minute, presumably with sales tax atop that. You only need a 6 minute ride for the trip to cost more than a TTC trip - and that really isn't that far.

For example, say you work at Yonge/Bloor, and want to get to Union to catch the GO train. This is about 15 minutes on the subway, or about 10 minutes on a bike, which I imagine would be a pretty similar trip time to a scooter. The scooter would cost $4.52 for that trip, which really isn't that long, while the TTC would be $1.60 (connecting to GO), and Bike Share would be free beyond the annual membership. Arriving "Sweat-free" in a faster time is certianly worth something, but I'm not sure it's worth $125/month, which is the incremental cost over the TTC for 2 trips per work day in a month.

For these to be competitive to me, they need to be about half the cost. $0.50 to start and $0.15/minute.

The pricing in Calgary isn't even all that much cheaper than carshare services. Communauto has no "start" fee provided you have CWDLI on your credit card (or alternatively it's $5/month), and is $0.41/minute. That means a full on carshare service would actually be cheaper for trips less than 9 minutes in length.

They do get expensive if you use them that frequently. More fun than bikeshare, faster to find than Uber, yet cheaper than Uber. So you treat it as an in-between solution on a case by case basis.

I think it’s a judgement call to hail a e-scooter for certain trips. I’d not use scooter rental consistently as a last mile connection, but when it favours the trip.

Like side trips that would take 3x to 4x longer by transit. Lime Church-Bloor to Carlton-Parliament. Or uphillish errands. Union to Bloor is uphill, while Bloor to Union is downhill. You’d choose subway usually but sometimes it is just a beautiful day. Mood. Or and you need to visit that drugstore or dentist that’s a bit diagonal away from you but right on the Adelaide/Sherbourne bike path.

Still, I wish there was an e-scooter pass system with Bird/Lime.

On the other hand you can actually purchase Bird/Lime style e-scooters to own for between 450 and 1000 Canadian. I see a big boom of purchases in e-scooter share cities so it does happen. The pole folds on most owned e-scooters so you can bring them on the GO train!

Won't someone think about the horses?

155010_1.jpg%3F1432156882

From link.

So long as it's not raining, snowing, slushy, cold, dark . . .
Cold and dark is OK.

Night time experience
Birds and Limes got automatic builtin bright LED head light and tail light. One city I visited used them quite late into the evening, and I did too. No problems on regular streetlamp-lit infrastructure. They do get scarce in the wee hours, when transit stops and people start using them instead of transit/taxi and the nearly-dead scooters are picked up by the gig-economy recharging people. But I find them faster than a surged-fee Uber.

Too risky for me when wet
But for me, definitely no rain/snow/slush. Super risky with tiny wheels that slip easily. I intentionally go 5-10kph if going over sprinkler-wet multiuse trails, and then let wheels dry after, before re-accelerating. It IS very very slippery, have jumped off jogging a couple times. Wet is an e-scooter Achilles heel. I’ll go bikeshare instead, the Hamilton SoBis are stable in snow and easy to rebalance and even Flintstone through small snow windrows. Just like winter Copenhagen Viking biking.

To me, e-scooters, they are to me, definitely ”dry-ground” conveniences. Despite this, considering purchasing a small one with folding shaft anyway, if I end up using e-scooter share services locally too much.

Scooter rentals stored during winter in Canada
Calgary / Edmonton / Montreal plans to store all e-scooter rentals during the winter (something like early Nov thru early March). Makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
I hate this idea. I hate this thread. Most current users ride in a way that browns me off as a road user. Having zillions of them flitting about all over the place on the roads sounds asinine to me. This is right up there with coming upon a mobility scooter in a bike lane from my point of view. That drives me nuts when I’m on a bike.

I see this as so many people on so many modes all competing for the same space, but within different legal frameworks and societal norms. It’s a recipe for (even more) chaos. Wait til an e-scooter gets taken out by a truck skirt.

It all seems very fast and easy as compared to the quite thorough licensing of, say, someone who wants to drive a motorcycle. It takes some work to get a class M.

This is right up there with coming upon a mobility scooter in a bike lane from my point of view. That drives me nuts when I’m on a bike.
Me too! I agree too.
I believe you're referring to those vespa style units. I find it frustrating too.

Those bulky mobility scooters are impediments (slow mobility units) or startlers (fast moped units). But when I bikeshared in other kick-style e-scooter cities, I didn't seem to mind those bike-speed kick-style e-scooters.

The kick-style e-scooters are compact, more manoeverable, more alert (but not for pedestrians, though that goes for biking on sidewalks too), and accelerate/decelerate more similarly to a bicycle at red traffic lights. Bird/Lime has cleverly fine-tuned the speed limiters to go with bike flow, to max-out addictiveness for cycle-infrastructure users, while making it easier for cities to approve them into cycle infrastructure. Thus, I find I can quite easily tolerate them as a cyclist, and realize that this has created a bigger boom of bike infrastructure. The 10% most aggressive cyclists are worse than most Bird/Lime users It was no trouble for me to overtake/undertake the typical average e-scooter user, while I was riding a bikeshare bike. Certainly there was a couple of turbo scooter users that was a bit of a put-off, but I was put-off more by the other aggressive cyclists. Now narrow sidewalks, they start bothering me as a pedestrian. Chaos worry is justified there.

I have visited multiple cities. There was no bike lane chaos as a cyclist on those bike lanes, no more so than if they were riding a bike instead. The chaos problem is more about sidewalk e-scootering as seen in the news media, of actual experience, in actual cities. One can merely Google the complaints of e-scooters of sidewalks -- but far fewer complaining about kick style e-scooters -- even from actual cyclists -- compared to those complaining about those vespas or mopeds.

The bigger chaos problem is abuse of e-scooters, parking randomly, and use on crowded narrow sidewalks, scaring pedestrians. That's the chaos part. That can be controlled/tolerable with the way some cities are refining this, like Montreal is. The chaos will be more at the sidewalk level & the municipal legislative level, e.g. rules of a 20kph limit instead of 35kph limit. Fortunately, most Bird/Lime units are incapable of going faster than roughly ~25kph, and beat up units peter out at about ~20-22kph anyway. For sidewalk bans, some cities resolve this by strong enforcement & fining, to the point where it happens far less. Though I'd tolerate it for cities that intentionally designed their sidewalk network to be big multiuse trails -- it was fine with a 20kph limiter -- even as a pedestrian I got used to them, though I felt equally bothered by cyclist or kick-e-scooter going too close to me at similar speeds. That said, I totally got used Limes/Birds on cycle infrastructure, as a cyclist or e-scooter user.

Now, those 35kph rockets....eeek. Chaos worry justified there. Tipped-over birds are more annoying. In some cities, clutter blight. Pedestrian hazard. (Some cities were enforced-neat though -- fines have been enforced to Bird/Lime by the city -- they have accelerometers so Bird remotely knows when people knock them over) and now Bird designed the Bird Two kickstand to be more tipover-resistant thanks to scooter-blight complaints from tipped-over parked scooters.

But cycling among them? Colossal whoop. Probably not even in the TOP 100 complaints about Bird/Lime.

Huge silver lining which will gradually reduce truck skirts incidents (for both bikes & e-scooters eventually) though!!!! In the newspaper of one of the e-scooter cities I visited, they had recently approved a bike infrastructure expansion partially thanks to the influence of e-scooters growing demand for cycle infrastructure, and also indirectly increased cycling.

Also, Lime which has both bikeshare and scootershare in Calgary, mobility use went WAY up -- even though 10,000 fewer July bikeshare trips occured on Lime Bikes, replaced by 99,000 July trips on Lime e-Scooters! Combined, that was a quadrupling from grand total ~30,000 mobility share rides (either bike or e-scooter) to ~120,000 mobility share rides!

That's quite a noticeable increase in bike infrastructure use, and significantly increases demand for bike infrastructure. Though, yes, concern about stealing ridership away from bikeshares. That said, total ridership goes up. And technically, Toronto Bike Share could become an e-scooter-share vendor just like Calgary doing both e-scooter-share and bikeshare. I'd be fine with that...

Even Copenhagen has kick-style e-scooters and legalized them directly into their bike lanes.
"....Always follow the same rules that apply for biking in traffic..."
"....driving in the bike lane only..."
Copenhagen!

There are many bike allies of kick-style e-scooters, which is why many fellow cyclists have lately been encouraging them despite hating Vespas and Mopeds.

TL;DR: Mobility scooters ≠ Kick Style e-Scooters
Cyclist Frustration Index 7/10 versus Cyclist Frustration Index 3/10

Last edited:
I hate this idea. I hate this thread. Most current users ride in a way that browns me off as a road user. Having zillions of them flitting about all over the place on the roads sounds asinine to me. This is right up there with coming upon a mobility scooter in a bike lane from my point of view. That drives me nuts when I’m on a bike.

I see this as so many people on so many modes all competing for the same space, but within different legal frameworks and societal norms. It’s a recipe for (even more) chaos. Wait til an e-scooter gets taken out by a truck skirt.

It all seems very fast and easy as compared to the quite thorough licensing of, say, someone who wants to drive a motorcycle. It takes some work to get a class M.

The varying legal framework issue is a valid point that the government needs to sort out. Relatively minor difference like top speed, whether or not something has pedals, number of wheels, etc. determining how something should be regulated or where it can go are often generally lost on the end user or proponents.

The issue of 'knowledge, skill and ability' still bothers me and how that relates to usage and regulation still concerns me. Similar to the ongoing issue of cars vs. bikes, pedestrians vs. scooters/e-bikes/mopeds will persist. Sure, the difference in mass and energy are smaller but that may be cold comfort to somebody who just got bowled over and ends up in emerg or a scooter rider under a bus because they simply didn't know how to ride safely. I see it all the time around here - unregulated riders operating barely regulated vehicles in the same space as motor vehicles and not having the first clue how to do it safely.

The concept of scooters et al somehow being a contributing answer to the mobility impaired stikes me as a tad far-fetched. I have a hard time seeing how many people who have difficulty walking would be able to stand on a narrow platform and maintain balance. Perhaps I'm wrong but there's a reason mobility devices have 3 or 4 wheels and a seat.

Indeed, the scooters won't be some magic solution that fixes everything. But, they have the potential to convert two car households into one car and that's a good start.

And after the broken arms and legs, back to a two car household again. lol. I'm kidding, but only half kidding cuz I've gotten fairly mashed up with a simple kick scooter going 5km/h.

The concept of scooters et al somehow being a contributing answer to the mobility impaired stikes me as a tad far-fetched. I have a hard time seeing how many people who have difficulty walking would be able to stand on a narrow platform and maintain balance. Perhaps I'm wrong but there's a reason mobility devices have 3 or 4 wheels and a seat.

I agree, these things are no substitute for a true mobility device. If someone already needs one of those, they won't do well on an e-scooter.

There are a lot of people, though, who have good mobility and balance but perhaps not the stamina or energy level to be habitual walkers. So many people use the auto for ridiculously short trips, because walking might be just a little too far or a little too time consuming. Or they may be experiencing knee or hip issues but are not at the point to need a replacement. I could see these devices giving many people enough added range and speed to provide an alternative to driving, at least some of the time. Plenty of folks would want (or even demand) speed functionality to limit the pace to well below "cruising speed".

An acquaintance, who has been a hard core cyclist all his life, confessed on the weekend that he has been feeling his age and is considering some sort of e-assisted alternative. We will all reach that point eventually. I'm very eager to see these devices available to fill the gap before mobility is truly lost.

- Paul

Guess by all the talk, we need separate, segregated lanes for streetcars, automobiles, trucks, bicycles, e-bikes, e-scooters, mobility scooters, etc.. Oh, and something for pedestrians.

It's easy to chuckle -but - maybe this is actually the future. In principle we should be building non-automobile roadways that are wide enough to have a mix of vehicles and speeds, and the expectation that users will get along. Current bike lanes are far too narrow for this today, but we can change that over time

I get increasingly unsympathetic to power cyclists who don't have patience for us less aggressive plodders on bike trails. Seems to me a high-end cyclist and a left-lane lead-foot motorist are not very different. It's a bit of an Animal Farm scenario.... as we give cyclists better and better bike lanes, they are going all entitled on us and start acting like the motorists that we did away with. The next generation of roadway should be automobile free, but it will have to accommodate many types of mobility and people will have to learn to share.

And yes, pedestrians need their own space.

- Paul

Guess by all the talk, we need separate, segregated lanes for streetcars, automobiles, trucks, bicycles, e-bikes, e-scooters, mobility scooters, etc.. Oh, and something for pedestrians.
I think the bike infrastructure is the mic-drop IMHO.

I almost think that Lime/Bird carefully selected their scooter size, weight, manoeverability intentionally to make enough cyclists love them, and not mind them in cycle infrastructure. Witness all those loud pedestrians complaints (e-scooters on sidewalks), but far fewer fewer loud complaints by by cyclists (e-scooters in bike lanes).

Very clever razor-and-blades strategy. Bleepingly brilliant.

_____

Also, compare Calgary vs Edmonton. Night and day clarity about the non-issue of bike infra, but the concern of sidewalk infra. The complaints are equally there, complaining about e-scooters on sidewalks, no matter if they're allowed or not. But almost nobody (drivers, cyclists, pedestrians) are complaining about Lime/Bird kick style e-scooters staying inside bike infrastructure. They were flowing nicely when they chose bike infrastructure.

Even for those who are unwinnable over, most cyclists who are e-scooter haters (pre-Lime/Bird arrival) -- suddenly go mostly silent for the Lime/Bird line-item exception -- once they actual-arrive in their home cities that they actually live in -- and get a week or two of experience -- practically all of them unamiously agree that they're far by the least annoying "scooter-named" object in bike lanes. Even if they still hate them, albiet now more muted than their prior assumption. And such haters are few in numbers. Thusly, it falls off the Top 100 Complaints about Lime/Bird quickly, after actual arrival.

Likewise, this mirrors my actual cyclist experience; I get throughly annoyed by Vespas and Mopeds in my bike lane, but I didn't mind Lime scooters in my bike lane. They were nimble and compact -- went roughly similar speeds -- very easily alertable -- feels equally as exposed (e-scooter/cyclist) and take predictably similar risks -- brakes and accelerates very similarly at stoplights -- and comfortable overtaking (as cyclist or e-scooter) -- and comfortable undertaking (as cyclist or e-scooter).

In addition, consider that the profile of a Bird/Lime e-scooter is slightly narrower than a bicycle -- the handlebars are only 70% the width of a mountain bike. The rest of the scooter is much narrower than the width of a human body, and have zero pedal protrusions with no worry about colliding feet with. In fact if a collision of a rider rudely getting in my way unexpectedly, As a cyclist, I'd rather accidentally collide with a kick-style e-scooter than a bike (speed and vectors being equal).

In my 4-city experience, I found e-scooters respectful in bike lanes (me as cyclist) but more annoying on sidewalks (me as pedestrian). Since kick scooter users are far more vulnerable to injury than fakevespa/mopeds -- kick e-scooter users are much more alert than fakevespa and moped riders too. So cyclists notice that they are the most-respectful-and-aware objects in bike lanes that have with "scooter' in their name. Because of their similar vulnerability, they are much more cyclist-respectful in all 4 cities that I have e-scootered and cycled in. Cyclists do feel vulnerable from fast mopeds and fast fakevespas, but neither cyclists nor kick style e-scooters feel nearly as vulnerable to each other.

In the complaint streams, there is a clear bone of contention about e-scooter-vs-pedestrian tension, but surprisingly relatively little for e-scooter-vs-cyclist! And even at that, most of the contention is "resentment at co-opting the infrastructure" because of the increase in riders in the lane. But it's equal annoying congestion whether bike congestion or bike+escooter(kick-style) congestion, one city I was in had a mix of 15 cycles and e-scooters at a traffic light in a very wide multiuse trail at a red light on an artery. It gracefully flowed at green, probably slightly more gracefully than if they were all 15 bicycles of varying speeds and abilities. The point I am trying to make, is it didn't make the feel of bike infrastructure worse, count-for-count.

Now, let's have a Chaos Conversation about 35kph turbo rockets (er, "crime on wheels") on sidewalks, startling me as a pedestrian.... And a Chaos Conversation about tipped-over e-scooter clutter, shall we... (Thankfully the Bird Two model has a kickstand intentionally designed to be more tipover resident, more durable to have a smaller cradle-to-grave carbon footprint -- I bet climate-swingy Toronto gets this this model instead).

And perhaps safety and injuries is an issue -- the strain on a health care system versus savings from the mobility increase benefits -- may belong in the conversation. Safety risks and e-scooter injuries deserves to be a Top100 complaint and can be a hard difficult discussion. Understood. That said, it is chiefly risk to self. I'll take risk responsibility when I choose to Lime/Bird. But Lime co-existing in bike infrastructure? I don't think it even registers as a Top10, or even a Top100, complaint.

Nontheless, they have gained bicycle allies in Bird/Lime e-scooter lobbying because of these influences and "designed-to-be-friendly-to-other-cyclists-as-possible" nature. Cities now considering building extra cycle infrastructure thanks to kick-style e-scooters -- it increased mobilityshare ridership by 4x in Calgary almost literally overnight (July 2019 statistics). They're quickly winning over cyclist allies as a result. Cyclists with actual experience with Limes/Birds indicate they're mostly (okay | tolerating | encouraging) of them, compared to vespas/moped style mobility units.

It almost seems intentional by Lime/Bird -- "sizing" them perfectly for cyclists to welcome them -- including minimizing friction with cyclists who don't plan to use them -- to the point of city funding increased bike infrastructure thanks to kick-style e-scooters increasing demand.

That's enough for a mic drop, no?

Last edited:
The varying legal framework issue is a valid point that the government needs to sort out. Relatively minor difference like top speed, whether or not something has pedals, number of wheels, etc. determining how something should be regulated or where it can go are often generally lost on the end user or proponents.

The issue of 'knowledge, skill and ability' still bothers me and how that relates to usage and regulation still concerns me. Similar to the ongoing issue of cars vs. bikes, pedestrians vs. scooters/e-bikes/mopeds will persist. Sure, the difference in mass and energy are smaller but that may be cold comfort to somebody who just got bowled over and ends up in emerg or a scooter rider under a bus because they simply didn't know how to ride safely. I see it all the time around here - unregulated riders operating barely regulated vehicles in the same space as motor vehicles and not having the first clue how to do it safely.

This is what I am speaking of. These are 'pedestrians' under the Highway Traffic Act, but in Toronto they are in bike lanes all the time. Every jackass on an e-bike is more mobile, faster than this, completely silent, totally unlicensed and uncertified, and now mixed with human-powered bikes. I hate this e-anything idea.

^The issue in that picture is not so much that the mobility vehicle is trying to get from point A to point B. (perhaps inexpertly)

The issue is that the roadway in the picture has been designed and maintained for the sole convenience and needs of the automobile, and only the automobile.

We are going to have to build out our roads so that there is far broader applicability to things beyond cars. If that road had proper shoulders and some line paint, there would be far less of a problem. Yes, a little enforcement is needed,

We are past any point where we can say “hey, get off the road, you don’t belong here”. (If I were to photoshop the image to replace the mobility cart with a farm vehicle, or a Mennonite buggy, it would look “normal”, so we have been there for a long time....now the non-car universe is growing). Yes, cars and other modes need to be separated, and given a pathway that is safe and effective for their use....but no township ought to build a country road that is shoulder-free. Much more expensive, but that’s the price of the transition.

A close friend’s 95-year-old father has a mobility cart similar to the picture, and regularly attempts to use it to get from his home near Six Points to places like Sherway and Cloverdale. He regularly has mishaps because the roadways just don’t allow that...and has ended up in Emerg more than once. He will not be deterred. It’s a real source of anxiety for my friend, My reaction is a mixture of horror and admiration. We can’t be putting barriers in the way of mobility, and Wheeltrans is an inefficient and costly solution to the city’s mobility needs....especially as the demographics tilt. Personally, I walk everywhere, and love it, but those days won’t last forever.

- Paul

Back