News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 777     0 

Ontario and Manitoba flags

Whoever designs a new Ontario flag should include the trillium in the final design:

to-trillium-new.jpg

LargeTrillium.gif

trillium-square-fade.jpg

The Leslie Frost-era Red Tory in me still wants to cling to the Ensign--yet when I think of it, it truly is odd that Ontario hasn't yet figured out how to include the trillium into the mix. (Then again, I don't know how much trillium-centric self-marketing Ontario did at all before the government adopted the "abstract trilliummark" in the 60s.)

You can still see the unit on that lion.

i tried to pixelize it but the lion it was attached to almost bit me so i left it alone. ;)

I've been a member of a yahoo group advocating a new Ontario flag for years now, so I'll try to post some of their proposals here soon.

Here they are. Some of these are pretty good, and I have a few designs of my own that aren't included.

n_a.jpg

n_a1.jpg

n_a10.jpg

n_a12.jpg

n_a13.jpg

n_a2.jpg

n_a4.jpg

n_a5.jpg

n_a6.jpg

n_a8.jpg

n_a9.jpg

Flag manufacturers are going to have a tough time reproducing all those pixels and compression artifacts.

I kid, I kid.

Anyway, what's with the oak leaf on many of them?

Hell, I would even love to see the early favourite for the national flag ("Pearson pennant") be resurrected as the new flag of Ontario. It's simply too beautiful a design to let go to waste. It already contains the triple maple leaf design that's on the Ontario coat of arms, and the blue strips could represent the Great Lakes. And the red, white and blue colours would be a tie to the British history of the province for anyone lamenting the loss of the Union Jack on the flag. I see no downside to using this design.

ca1964p.gif

Hell, It already contains the triple maple leaf design that's on the Ontario coat of arms, and the blue strips could represent the Great Lakes. And the red, white and blue colours would be a tie to the British history of the province for anyone lamenting the loss of the Union Jack on the flag. I see no downside to using this design.

Doesn't our flag right now already incorporate everything you want in a flag other than something that represents the lakes?

I've always been partial to Libya's flag-something I can actually draw:
ly-lgflag.gif

More seriously, what about knocking off Hong Kong's flag with a trillium instead of a bauhinia?

I would argue that the history of that flag belongs to all Canadians, and it would be rude as Ontarians to claim it as our own.

I would argue that almost everyone under 50 (and probably most over) has never even seen that wonderful design, much less know the history of it.

I would argue that almost everyone under 50 (and probably most over) has never even seen that wonderful design, much less know the history of it.

Personally, it was included in my High School history curriculum. I don't think I'm unique in that.

Back