News   Apr 16, 2024
 159     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

OneCity Plan

First of all, the province or feds will not chip in anything close to 10 billion at the time of massive deficits. At most, they will support specific projects; Yonge extension might be one of them.

We can probably get 3 to 4 billion out of the Federal Government over 30 years for specific projects. Their WaterFront Toronto, Spadina, and Sheppard funds over the last 10 years was about $1.5B.

There will be good times again for the feds between now and 2042.

Last edited:
No, but we can probably get 3 to 4 billion out of them over 30 years for specific projects.
The province of Ontario has already promised a funding strategy that will deliver well over $40 billion for post-2015 transit projects. Why would you only think you can get $3 to $4 billion out of them over 30 years?

The province of Ontario has already promised a funding strategy that will deliver well over $40 billion for post-2015 transit projects. Why would you only think you can get $3 to $4 billion out of them over 30 years?

My statement was with reference to the federal government. I will modify my comment.

The province doesn't have any choice but to deliver expansion funds. If Toronto hits a limit on economic growth due to congestion, the provincial budget would start to seriously shrink year over year (versus inflation) instead of keeping even.

My statement was with reference to the federal government. I will modify my comment.
Yes, it would be difficult to see the current federal government funding $10 billion ... but a lot can change between now and 2040.

And they did recently announce $5-billion over 10 years for a Montreal transportation project, and over $1-billion for a Windsor project.

The GTA transit should get into making its own money in the real estate business and providing it's own power as well as selling off some of that energy for profit and stuff. The MTR is even listed on the HK Stock Exchange to raise even more money.

The GTA transit should get into making its own money in the real estate business and providing it's own power as well as selling off some of that energy for profit and stuff. The MTR is even listed on the HK Stock Exchange to raise even more money.

That is quite possibly illegal in Canada. TTC could do more to partner with private developers but despite hundreds of private corps banging down Ford's door, the number of deals has been zero.

Yes, it would be difficult to see the current federal government funding $10 billion ... but a lot can change between now and 2040.

And they did recently announce $5-billion over 10 years for a Montreal transportation project, and over $1-billion for a Windsor project.

the feds have contributed $1.8 billion to toronto infrastructure since 2006, so that averaged out exactly $300 million a year. all the feds have to do for this is keep up their current rate of investment in Toronto's infrastructure.

Converting the ARL to a western DRL has to give some good bang for the buck as well... Really how much could making that line electric and adding in a few stations cost?. That looks like it should be a priority as well..

I count that as GO, not the TTC. GO is going to be going forward with that regardless of what the TTC says or does, so I don't see much point in including it on that list.

Both the Feds and the Province will be back in black ink by 2017, right around when a lot of these projects will be ready to start digging. Maybe the timing will be right.

For now, the City can fund the EAs, and then by the time all the planning and engineering work is in place, the Province and the Feds will be more willing to crack open their chequebook.

Last edited:
the feds have contributed $1.8 billion to toronto infrastructure since 2006, so that averaged out exactly $300 million a year.
$1.8 billion since 2006. Pull the other one ... that sounds like some bizarre Conservative soundbite/lie. What, does it include 905 as well? Snicker ...

Probably includes the Union station upgrades - which of course is to serve people in 905.

As far as I know, the only federal funds that have flowed to Toronto transit is about $300 million for the portion of the Spadina subway in Toronto (not even sure if they've paid that much yet), about $20 million so far for the Sheppard East LRT, and maybe $50 million on other smaller projects, including the Pape station renovation.

all the feds have to do for this is keep up their current rate of investment in Toronto's infrastructure.[/QUOTE]

yes, but they have at least dedicated $1.8... even if it has not all come in yet.

and trust me, I am no fan of harper. but I am just trying to raise peoples hopes of this actually happening in a minimally cut version. (I am hoping that Toronto will be able to secure at least $20 billion for this)

$1.8 billion since 2006. Pull the other one ... that sounds like some bizarre Conservative soundbite/lie. What, does it include 905 as well? Snicker ...

Probably includes the Union station upgrades - which of course is to serve people in 905.

As far as I know, the only federal funds that have flowed to Toronto transit is about $300 million for the portion of the Spadina subway in Toronto (not even sure if they've paid that much yet), about $20 million so far for the Sheppard East LRT, and maybe $50 million on other smaller projects, including the Pape station renovation.

all the feds have to do for this is keep up their current rate of investment in Toronto's infrastructure.

And let's put it this way: the lack of Federal investment in Toronto is more than made up for by the surplus of Provincial investment compared to other Ontario municipalities, even when looked at on a per capita basis.

The Feds may have skimped Toronto, but Queen's Park gave Toronto the mother of all sweetheart deals compared to other cities (Ottawa, Kitchener-Waterloo, Hamilton) in the Province.

Okay, here is my second map. In this case, the Jane LRT has been removed in favour of an extension of the Downtown-Sheppard line, creating a loop.

OneCity2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Toronto is not Hong Kong. Unlike Hong Kong, Toronto has a much larger supply of land and land prices are much lower. There is no way that real estate development can finance subway expansion, as we found out the hard way when Rob Ford tried to get private financing for the Sheppard subway extension.

Okay, here is my second map. In this case, the Jane LRT has been removed in favour of an extension of the Downtown-Sheppard line, creating a loop.

The turn from Don Mills to Sheppard isn't possible. Too tight for a subway. And while loops may look nice on a map, they're generally not the most useful arrangement in real life. People travel in lines, not circles. A grid pattern, especially in a city like Toronto, is going to get people where they're going more efficiently.

There's about $700 million in gas tax funds since 2006 for the City of Toronto alone. I think there was about $500 million for Action Plan infrastructure projects in the city, include alot of transportation stuff. It was a couple of hundred million for the TTC station renovations alone. The federal commitment to TYSSE is $700 million, according to the TTC website.

This is all commitments. how much money has been delivered I don't know. But let's give our friend Jim F. a break. :)

Back