News   Apr 23, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 546     0 

One12 St.Clair condo conversion (Vranich/Grossman, 10s, P+S/IBI Group) COMPLETE

If I am thinking of the right building, it was competely non-descript. I think there might have been an Ontario Government Credit Union branch on the ground floor.

Anyone know who the firms behind this are?

well... According to the website http://www.one12stclair.com/ ,

"ARCHITECTS: Page+Steele Architects, one of Canada’s oldest architectural firms, has been located in this community for 80 years and has designed 21 projects in this Young St. / St. Clair midtown community, many of them considered significant landmarks.

THE DEVELOPERS: ONE12 is the inspiration of The Vranich and Grossman Family Companies, renowned Toronto area developers with over five decades of experience. Construction and management is under the leadership of Elias Veisman, who has an outstanding legacy of building Canada’s foremost luxury residences, including The Windsor Arms, One Post Road, and The Cheddington.
DESIGNER Chapman Design Group Limited has been a leader in luxury highrise residential design"

This is what happens when designers are "forced" to think outside the box, due to the constraints of the conversion. ( no cookie cutter condo was available here)

Great Building!

love the fresh look of this place! Just hope the flower boxes are irrigated to prevent any flowers dying of drought... Have to put this place on my list of locations to check out in person.

With any plants in containers on a balcony in town, you essentially have to treat them as if they are in the desert, which is the effect of the heat and the wind. You have to be at them with the watering can every morning.

well... According to the website http://www.one12stclair.com/ ,

"ARCHITECTS: Page+Steele Architects, one of Canada’s oldest architectural firms, has been located in this community for 80 years and has designed 21 projects in this Young St. / St. Clair midtown community, many of them considered significant landmarks.

Pet peeve, but I find it annoying when Yonge is spelled incorrectly. I can understand a tourist or someone unfamiliar with the street spelling it Young, but on a developer's website, not acceptable imo.

This is what happens when designers are "forced" to think outside the box

Yup, redeveloping old buildings can often produce a better result than demolishing and starting from scratch. Of course, it also requires imagination and effort. Anyhoo, this is an absolute beauty.

The planters could truly work to full design potential if more vibrantly coloured flowers were planted, like those traditional Swiss houses that have planters under every window (and every planter has the same coloured flower, though I don't expect that in this case). Speaking of these kinds of redevelopments, they have to be spearheaded by someone with a good architectural sensibility. I'm inspired to say this when I walk by a Victorian block covered from sidewalk to roof brown siding. And the crooked sign on the Tip Top Taylors building may have looked good in the first month, but now the novelty has worn off for me.

If I am thinking of the right building, it was competely non-descript. I think there might have been an Ontario Government Credit Union branch on the ground floor.

More than nondescript, it was Hilarious Spec Brutalism with a bit of an octagonal thing going. Like, they did a *real* aesthetic 180 with this one. (And a whole different kind of 180 for the developers responsible for "The Windsor Arms, One Post Road, and The Cheddington".)

The planters could truly work to full design potential if more vibrantly coloured flowers were planted, like those traditional Swiss houses that have planters under every window (and every planter has the same coloured flower, though I don't expect that in this case). Speaking of these kinds of redevelopments, they have to be spearheaded by someone with a good architectural sensibility. I'm inspired to say this when I walk by a Victorian block covered from sidewalk to roof brown siding. And the crooked sign on the Tip Top Taylors building may have looked good in the first month, but now the novelty has worn off for me.

Actually, the plantings have been restricted in these boxes to light bluey-lilacky coloured flowers. It doesn't show up so much in these photos, but when you are by the building, the reduced palette effect of the black building, silver boxes, green leaves, and bluey-lilacky petals is quite pleasing.

I wonder if that's an actual restriction, or if the developer just planted them that way before people moved in? Not all the plantings are blue.

Red flowers, of course, should never be seen.

I think what's amazing about this project... is that no body doesn't like it! everyone who has commented so far has nothing negative to say! (well... flower choices) and yeah! what a great building!

and what else is interesting is that the same architect is building MUSEUMHOUSE on Bloor, and that project has the same flower boxes, and that's really exciting!

museumhouse will have flower boxes? excellent! I too give this St. Clair project a big thumbs up....:)

Back