One Valhalla Towns And Condos (Edilcan Development) - Real Estate -

Interim occupancy is the term for occupancy. Closing is when the building gets registered. You occupy your unit on interim occupancy and they begin paying a rent to the developer until the building is registered. This is when you mortgage kicks in. In the meantime you are playing your maintenance fee, property taxes, hydro, and a portion of the interest for the remaining cost of your unit. Look it up on the tarion website it's all explained there.

As for the booking of the elevators all the people who have book likely got the same interim occupancy date and at that point it's first come first serve, they decided to act on the information they were given in order to set up there move. Nothing wrong with that.

and in terms of elevator function all elevators have the ability to be put on service. It's part of their basic functions. Move in elevators are designated as such because they are usually loaded from the rear and then don't interfere with normal operation of the lobby/building. Plus they are usually connected to the loading area somehow.

The other two elevators are not going to be used for moving. I spoke with chris about this. The first elevator is the only one that has access to the loading dock.

Thanks for the clarification likemilk. It's good that the occupancy fees will cover things like the property tax and at least reduce that down. Ultimately I'd like to put more toward the principle, as I'm sure everyone would! I hope there isn't too lengthy of a time between occcupancy and registration.

Last edited:
Interim occupancy is the term for occupancy. Closing is when the building gets registered. You occupy your unit on interim occupancy and they begin paying a rent to the developer until the building is registered. This is when you mortgage kicks in. In the meantime you are playing your maintenance fee, property taxes, hydro, and a portion of the interest for the remaining cost of your unit. Look it up on the tarion website it's all explained there.

As for the booking of the elevators all the people who have book likely got the same interim occupancy date and at that point it's first come first serve, they decided to act on the information they were given in order to set up there move. Nothing wrong with that.

and in terms of elevator function all elevators have the ability to be put on service. It's part of their basic functions. Move in elevators are designated as such because they are usually loaded from the rear and then don't interfere with normal operation of the lobby/building. Plus they are usually connected to the loading area somehow.

Oh I know the difference between interim and closing, I'm extremely well versed in this process, I've had two and a half years to do plenty of research on how this all works but thanks for filling in those who might not know the difference between the two.

Regardless of the type of occupancy, typically, the builder would have owners move in from lower to higher floors, in that order. I've never quite heard of this free for all, book every elevator time slot regardless of what floor you're on. This should have been done in an organized manner. If people were that anxious to move in, they should have requested early occupancy.

Kan, you bring up a good point too. If closing is the 27th yet we're unable to move in because of the elevator bookings, how is that fair for us to make a month of mortgage/property tax/maintanence fees payment. This is all just very poorly planned.

Kan, also, seeing how we already discussed shades, we skipped another important aspect of the unit, lighting!

I'm sure you noticed that there are no light fixtures except for the one in the bathroom (Reign, you'll see this during your PDI)

I recently checked out some fixtures but the endless options has me very confused, not quite sure what I want.

I'm thinking a long, rectangular chandelier/pendant fixture for the dining room area.

Not sure about the hallway and bedroom still...

Oh I know the difference between interim and closing, I'm extremely well versed in this process, I've had two and a half years to do plenty of research on how this all works but thanks for filling in those who might not know the difference between the two.

Regardless of the type of occupancy, typically, the builder would have owners move in from lower to higher floors, in that order. I've never quite heard of this free for all, book every elevator time slot regardless of what floor you're on. This should have been done in an organized manner. If people were that anxious to move in, they should have requested early occupancy.

Kan, you bring up a good point too. If closing is the 27th yet we're unable to move in because of the elevator bookings, how is that fair for us to make a month of mortgage/property tax/maintanence fees payment. This is all just very poorly planned.

Early occupancy is not a thing that most developers provide. And most of the time it's out of their hands. As I'm sure you're aware the building cannot provide you with occupancy without having received an occupancy permit from the city. Which is probably why you're not getting a concrete date on the early occupancy date from the builder. While most developers have a good idea of when they'll get the occupancy permit the city is a fickle beast and will deny you a permit for a wide range of silly reasons and sometimes legit ones.

Additionally it's in the builder's best interest to provide occupancy to as many units as possible at one time. So it's very possible that there are 10 floors (or more) worth of units with the same occupancy date. Why should someone on an upper floor with a unit ready to move into and the foresight to book an elevator at their soonest opportunity not do so? These people are just as excited to move into their new home as you are. The first thing I did when I got my occupancy date was contact the project management company and book an elevator.

Kan, also, seeing how we already discussed shades, we skipped another important aspect of the unit, lighting!

I'm sure you noticed that there are no light fixtures except for the one in the bathroom (Reign, you'll see this during your PDI)

I recently checked out some fixtures but the endless options has me very confused, not quite sure what I want.

I'm thinking a long, rectangular chandelier/pendant fixture for the dining room area.

Not sure about the hallway and bedroom still...

I actually found an amazing place for light fixtures. It's a show room and they have an amazing selection of brand name and knock off lights. We ordered three already and now I found out that we will need two more lights for our unit. It's called sescolite and I went to the location in Burlington. For three lights, one a chandelier for the dinning room table we paid just over 300. One of those was a nice fancy light for the bedroom.

Thanks for letting me know about the tax stuff!

I also booked my elevator times. I remember at the hotel session, they said that occupancy would be first come first serve and not floor by floor. I don't know why that is, seems like it is very disorganized.

They shouldn't have said anything about final closing being on the 27th because I think a lot of people, including myself, were expecting that to be true. I hope we hear something soon, because I'm in the process of getting my mortgage sorted (another thing they told us to do as quickly as possible at the hotel session).

I actually found an amazing place for light fixtures. It's a show room and they have an amazing selection of brand name and knock off lights. We ordered three already and now I found out that we will need two more lights for our unit. It's called sescolite and I went to the location in Burlington. For three lights, one a chandelier for the dinning room table we paid just over 300. One of those was a nice fancy light for the bedroom.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I spent about 30 minutes just checking their selection out online, wow, so many options, I honestly don't even know where to start.

I see they have a store near Yorkdale, may have to check out.

Thanks for letting me know about the tax stuff!

I also booked my elevator times. I remember at the hotel session, they said that occupancy would be first come first serve and not floor by floor. I don't know why that is, seems like it is very disorganized.

They shouldn't have said anything about final closing being on the 27th because I think a lot of people, including myself, were expecting that to be true. I hope we hear something soon, because I'm in the process of getting my mortgage sorted (another thing they told us to do as quickly as possible at the hotel session).

Yes, I also called on Monday and booked the elevator too, such a mad scramble.

I'm sure they will close in or around the 27th, it's in their best interest to do so, they don't collect one penny until that day occurs.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I spent about 30 minutes just checking their selection out online, wow, so many options, I honestly don't even know where to start.

I see they have a store near Yorkdale, may have to check out.

Yes, I also called on Monday and booked the elevator too, such a mad scramble.

I'm sure they will close in or around the 27th, it's in their best interest to do so, they don't collect one penny until that day occurs.

What I would recommend doing is telling someone you're on a budget and want to spend up to x amount of money on a light for the bedroom or the dining room. They will work with that budget and find something for you. We told them that we didn't want to spend more than $150 for the dining room and they were able to find us something for less and discount it further because we were purchasing more than one light fixture for them.

When is your elevator booking for?

Hey everyone!

My apologies for being MIA, I've been quite busy and boy, do I have a story...

So earlier this week, I received an email from Mellissa stating that they were just made aware of the early occupancy dates and they were able to offer me Wednesday, October 12th. Well of course I jumped right on that opportunity.

So as it stands right now, I'm one of the first to occupy the building.

Now I wouldn't go and try to contact Mellissa asking why you haven't been contacted yet. This process is being done in order of low to high floors so I'm sure you'll be contacted next week.

The only reason I know this is because Rogers contacted me and offered me a pretty good deal on cable and internet (I highly recommend the offer; unlimited internet and VIP digital cable with free wifi router and digital box for $100 plus HST a month although only good for 1 year) and I asked how they got a hold of my information. He said that any unit that is about to occupy is released to them, mentioned that he has already spoken to two others who are moving in early as well, 3rd and 4th floor so this is definitely being done on a floor to floor basis.

It was a mad scramble to get everything in order. Had to change the insurance date start to reflect the October 12th date, my lawyer was caught off guard too.

The nice thing about early occupancy is the freedom in regards to the elevator booking. Now I had an issue trying to book it because they aren't accepting any bookings before October 27 unless they get the go ahead from the developer but even after Mellissa forwarded that information, they still hadn't accepted my booking. I got pretty frustrated with that although now everything is resolved. I was able to book 4 hours and I might book another 2 hours just in case.

I'll be sure to keep you updated throughout the process.

Hey,

Had my PDI this morning, and I am very impressed with the way everything has come together. I was surprised, in a good way, how spacious and well put together everything was in the unit. I chose smokey glass and definitely don't regret it.

Like yourselves, I didn't find too many issues. There were a few scratches and the laminate wass raised higher in one corner of the unit, but as long as they fix it I'm happy.

I apologize, I didn't take any good pictures. Everything is pretty standard to what you guys have as well. We did well with purchasing in this building guys and girls. I'm feeling good.

P.s. I didn't know that our units include an alarm system. Pretty good addition.

Chris also said this morning that he has heard that the building may be registered in about 2 to 4 weeks after occupancy. We will just have to wait and see. But like "ilikemilk" stated previously, for some reason the city of Toronto is a bit of a difficult city to work with for builders. So I guess it will happen when it happens.

Hey,

Had my PDI this morning, and I am very impressed with the way everything has come together. I was surprised, in a good way, how spacious and well put together everything was in the unit. I chose smokey glass and definitely don't regret it.

Like yourselves, I didn't find too many issues. There were a few scratches and the laminate wass raised higher in one corner of the unit, but as long as they fix it I'm happy.

I apologize, I didn't take any good pictures. Everything is pretty standard to what you guys have as well. We did well with purchasing in this building guys and girls. I'm feeling good.

P.s. I didn't know that our units include an alarm system. Pretty good addition.

Hey Reign!

Oh yes, completely forgot about your PDI!

I'm glad to hear it went well, you had hardly any deficiencies at all.

Yes, the security alarm/pin pad is a very nice feature, adds that little piece of mind.

Chris also said this morning that he has heard that the building may be registered in about 2 to 4 weeks after occupancy. We will just have to wait and see. But like "ilikemilk" stated previously, for some reason the city of Toronto is a bit of a difficult city to work with for builders. So I guess it will happen when it happens.

It's a shame they couldn't get closing for the 27th, looks like I'll be paying nearly 2 months of occupancy fees if that's the case but that's alright, it was my choice to move in earlier.

At least that gives everyone a little bit of time to settle in without having to scramble to get their closing done.

So by this time next week, I'll be sort of moved in, I will let you know how that process goes.

Back