News   Jul 22, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 624     0 

one conservative's plan for Harper majority...

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
For those of you who thought I was exaggerating when I suggested that elements of Harper's party will be pushing for something like the agenda that follows. Interesting that he used the same 'salt the earth' metaphor.... He and I have a similar vision, except for him it's a dream and for me a rather disturbing, but plausible, plan for a Harper majority.

From the Western Standard's website:

This Campaign is Over Already, Let’s Begin the Revolution
Adam T. Yoshida
Thursday, September 25, 2008

Forget the faint hope that the debates will turn things around for Mme. Dion (do you really think a man who can barely speak English is going to break through there? That’s like expecting Preston Manning to pull off a win in 1997 based on his performance in the French debate). Intrade puts the odds of a Tory win at 95%. I would put them higher than that. I would say that the odds of a Tory majority are, at this point, higher than 90%.

Indeed, if I were asked to guess where we’ll finish up at the end of the day, I would say that we’re looking at a very large majority. I think that two hundred is a realistic figure to be talking about at the moment.

Let’s look at the facts – the facts that I’ve mentioned repeatedly. As things stand, the left-wing vote in this country (even though that group includes a majority of the electorate) is divided three ways in English Canada and four ways in Quebec. What that means, as I outlined at the outset of this campaign, is that a “Great Silent Plurality” of small-c conservative voters can form a strong majority government that can hold onto the government in this country for as long as that split persists.

The Liberals are done for. No one wants to make Mme. Dion the Prime Minister (including, I would hazard, Dion based upon his dispirited performance so far). And we’re not going to make Jack Layton the Prime Minister either. That means that it’s Mr. Harper by default.

I think that we could sharpen it – and put further tarnish on the Liberal brand – by pinning Dion to the ground and knocking him absolutely senseless but, in the end, a win is a win.

What the Prime Minister has to ask now – and he really does have to ask it now, since he won’t have very long to do it – is whether he wants to be another Brian Mulroney, a brief interlude between long-serving Liberal Prime Ministers, or whether he really wants to change this country decisively.

A Conservative majority government, especially under a strong leader like Prime Minister Harper, offers a chance to transform this country beyond all recognition. The Liberals have been so successful in this country over the last four decades because they remade it in their own image, right down to the flag. They put their stamp on every institution in this country – a Maple Leaf-shaped boot stamping down across the Canadian face forever.

With a strong majority government – one not vulnerable to a confidence vote – the Prime Minister has the power to weather minor storms of public outrage and to use his five years to change this country in ways which will prove both popular and nearly impossible to undo.

In particular, I recommend that a Conservative government focus on the following:

1) Institutional demolition: The left-wing in this country relies upon government to keep itself running. The Prime Minister has taken some vital first steps in this area by junking the Court challenges program and cutting funding to radical feminist groups but, with a majority, the best option would be to go much further.

Sell the CBC. Junk most of the cultural subsides. Get rid of the human rights Gestapo. These, in the end, are “stroke of the pen, law of the land” sort of things. If a Prime Minister with a majority government wishes them, they could be so.

Gut the CRTC. Indeed, as I recommended before, the Prime Minister should forget his own copyright bill and instead pass the most liberal, progressive, and loose copyright bill in the Western world. Yeah, that’ll hurt some people – but screw them, they’re not going to vote Tory anyways.

Do too much, rather than too little. Don’t shift these things around. Burn them down and salt the Earth. A future Liberal government won’t have the guts, the time, the wherewithal, or the money to recreate them all at once. Sell the land and the buildings. Shred the records. Disperse the staff. It’s easier to destroy than it is to create. A Tory government on a rampage could destroy in a couple of months what it took four decades to create – and what it would take another forty to recreate.

2) Base Creation: At the same time as well tear apart the old Liberal nation, we need to create new institutions to replace the old. With the money we’ll save, we can go to work on a new grand and nation-defining enterprise – rebuilding the Canadian military and turning it into the national symbol that it should be.

This is important not only for nationalistic reasons, but for basic political reasons. A large-scale buildup of the Armed Forces will do more than prepare Canada to fight in an increasingly-dangerous world, but it will also create a powerful military-industrial complex that a future Liberal government would be loathe to confront.

Set as a goal that military spending should be, oh, roughly 3.5% of the GDP. On the ground, translate that into an active force of 200,000 or so men – with all of the associated family members and spin-off jobs that will be created. Buy as much equipment internally as possible, even if that makes it more expensive, because it will build an industrial base that can become a powerful lobbying force.

Build big things. Canadians, for all that they claim to be a peace-loving people, want to love their country. That’s why, in the absence of a more compelling national identity, they hold onto the things that they do. Build a pair of Aircraft Carriers – giant, expensive, deadly, and useful symbols of Canadian pride that children can hang on their walls. Name them after Wolfe and Montcalm or something like that.

Oh, and well you’re at it, recreate the old individual services. Because it’s appealing – and because it’s a good and simple exercise of power.

3) Crime, Crime, Crime: The Tories are campaigning on this a bit, but they should be doing it more – and they should do even more as a majority government. Few things unify more Canadians than the conviction that our justice system is horribly soft.

As I’ve said countless times, nothing is better than forcing your opponent to – out of conviction – defend people who everyone hates. The Liberals the left in general really believe in our horribly deformed justice system and many of them will go to the stake defending it. What Harper needs is someone creatively evil to serve as the Justice Minister – or perhaps Deputy Minister (I’m not too busy!) to spend the next five years thinking up new ways of brutalize and humiliate criminals and which will send the left marching to the barricades time and time again to defend people who normal Canadians hate.

Of course, this is probably all a dream. Stephen Harper has shown himself, in his time as both Tory leader and as Prime Minister, to be a cautious man. The odds are that, winning a smashing majority; he will naturally conclude that he should go on doing exactly the same thing.

I'm sure that some Tories are reading this and saying to themselves, "for God's sake Yoshida, don't write anything like this - it'll scare people." I wish, I wish. Like I said - we're only going to get something like this, or even a tiny part of this, if we struggle for it and push for it.

To the extent that we might see anything of this sort, we have to begin talking about it now, thinking about it now, floating these ideas now, because the window of time in which a new majority might act is pretty small - a year, I'd say.

He should watch out, though, because after Dion (and remember, it was me who first told many of you that it would be Dion) is the Second Coming. Unless we burn Trudeautopia to the ground, the son will soon be here to reclaim the legacy of the father.

Posted by Adam T. Yoshida on September 25, 2008 in Canadian Politics

Is this a joke? Does a fellow Canadian really want to do this to our country?

Who can use phrases like "burn them down" and "salt the earth" and "it’s easier to destroy than it is to create" and suggest these things are positives? Who in their right might would suggest dismantling all of Canada's arts, culture, and media and replacing them with a monstrous military-industrial complex? Who would admit to wishing that our human rights and constitution be discarded so that we may instead think up new ways to "brutalize and humiliate" criminals?

It boggles my mind that there are people so hateful, fearful and xenophobic that they would propose destroying everything that makes most of us proud to be Canadians in the first place. Canada is certainly imperfect but it is one of the wealthiest, safest, fair-minded and respected nations on the planet. It needs some tweaking, not a slash-n-burn rebuilding.

Wait, why am I even dignifying this sad individual's diatribe with a reasoned response? Sigh, I always do that.

Yes, that vision seems rather scary....

But come on, are you telling me that the Western Standard will be given free reign on the Conservative agenda?

First off, none of the things he proposes are in the platform. And voters in this country don't take too kindly to parties ad libing once in power.

Second, do you really think that the party would win any election for a decade if they did that. They would unleash the most left wing turn in Canadian history if they ever carried out his hard right manifesto. Even more, I am confident that the Liberals could rebuild those institutions if they had to...and they probably would. He thinks its hard to set up the CBC and the CRTC. I'd say given a few billion it can probably be done in one term....

I am fairly confident that no such hard right turn is coming, more like a gentle bank away from the left.

Keep in mind, too, that IIRC Yoshida was a web nuisance going back to Usenet days. Speaking in UT terms, he's the Tory-politics equivalent of a hardcore skyscraper geek posting away on SSC

Yoshida talks about those 'Liberal' institutions....but there's nothing stopping the Conservatives from remaking those institutions in their image....they don't necessarily have to eliminate them.

And the Rovian politics of the law and order agenda won't sell here. Canadians are largely against harsh sentences to such a degree...I doubt that it would really become a wedge issue.

As to creating the military industrial complex....I doubt our industry could sustain that and ramp up that fast. We haven't had an independent defence industry in decades. And there is no way Canadians would support significantly increased military spending...which also leads to more deployments....a sure fire way to get booted from office.

Yes, that vision seems rather scary....

But come on, are you telling me that the Western Standard will be given free reign on the Conservative agenda?

No. But I do think/know that there are elements such as these in the CPC. It's rather difficult to know how deep that runs, because Harper is running one of the most secretive governments in Canadian history. If there is nothing to hide, why muzzle your candidates?

First off, none of the things he proposes are in the platform. And voters in this country don't take too kindly to parties ad libing once in power.

A few points:
-Well... what platform? So far the CPC has announced maybe 6 months worth of legislative policy.
-Harper specifically proposed a policy designed to humiliate if not brutalize children who commit violent crimes.
-I don't think we can take the CPC platform as gospel, given income trusts, fixed election dates, etc. Not to say the other parties are better/worse, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Harper won't feel exclusively bound by his election platform.

Second, do you really think that the party would win any election for a decade if they did that. They would unleash the most left wing turn in Canadian history if they ever carried out his hard right manifesto. Even more, I am confident that the Liberals could rebuild those institutions if they had to...and they probably would. He thinks its hard to set up the CBC and the CRTC. I'd say given a few billion it can probably be done in one term....

Like I've said before, if Harper wins a majority, he likely won't win another. This is regardless of whether he runs a fairly centrist government or he does what is suggested here. That suggests he doesn't have much to lose. Also, look into Harper's policy positions in the past (say 10 years ago, or even 6 or so when he was still with the NCC). Is it likely that he has suddenly transformed into someone with centre-right political beliefs or that he is playing shrewd politics? It is only relatively recently that he has kept his loathing for Ottawa/federal government quiet.

I don't share your confidence that these institutions would be rebuilt. Part of 'destroy the institutions' is taking that revenue and handing it back in tax cuts. Say another few points off the GST. Even if most Canadians don't support these moves, once done, I'm not sure the political appetite will be there for large tax increases to fund the rebuilding of these institutions. I don't disagree that it is easier to destroy than it is to build, or rebuild.

I agree that there is a decent probability that he won't do anything radical. But I would take rather cold comfort in saying 'told you so' if he does. I'm cynical enough, I don't need it fed...

LOL, so basically Adam wants to convert Canada into 1980's America.

Interesting...

Considering a vast majority of Canadians are centre-left or left, I doubt anyone really wants a Conservative government at the end of the day.

Read the responses to the article. Most of the comments criticize Yoshida's column. I doubt that many Conservatives share his point of view. If they do, then they probably won't be in power for long....and certainly won't become the 'natural governing party' Harper wants them so badly to be.

Yoshida can't even get out of the first sentence without a sexists remark.

Should there be a Conservative majority, there can be little doubt that there would be at least a few attempts to introduced items that would satisfy the the more right-of-centre grassroots of the party. Also, starvation diets could be used to weaken programs that didn't agree with CPC ideals. There is also the very convenient act of spinning off some federal responsibilities to provincial governments. That would make for some happy provincial leaders.

The problems would arrive if/when the more socially conservative initiatives start to annoy the fiscally conservative supporters who'd see the party inevitably turning itself into the right-wing cartoon that it is portrayed as by the left. Over the long term, a successful Conservative party is doomed to the centre - or that general orbit.

Look Harper even in a majority has to stay a moderate.

His main goal he said is to make Canada a conservative country and if he goes crazy he will just set the foundations of another liberal Dynasty and if your a conservative, that would make you angry.

He knows conservatism in Canada is like Centrists/Moderate political thinking, not real conservatism.

Plus, a lot of these points are debatable and if you the Liberals a chance to run on social justice issues, oh man...

The Miltary industrial complex..

A conservative that cannot understand a dire warning from another great conservative, is a really dumb conservative.

Harper, should keep such people under cover or else there may be trouble.

About Alberta become the new political power, hey, if we really get angry in Ontario and Quebec everything west of Manitoba becomes useless don't forget that in elections...

If anything, this post only points to the dangers of the 'left' splintering and becoming disunited. The NDP and the Greens are doing just that.

Personally, I can't see how one Conservative majority could accomplish all that. To some extent, the Civil Service runs the country anyway.;)

Again, bear in mind my SSC-geek analogy. Yoshida is the Conservative version of a skyscraper twerp who can never get enough supertalls, even if it means destroying historic urban fabric in the process (but hey, NIMBYs suck, man)...

He's done the party a disservice. All the Liberals need to do is is use this as "proof" of the hidden agenda in the ridings where the Conservative incumbant is weak or is a strong challenger.

When they dropped her?

None of the parties did a perfect job vetting candidates in this election. Some candidates that have said objectionable things are still candidates, however (I'm thinking Warawa, for one. Ritz to some extent, but there's no way Harper would ask him to abandon his seat).

Back