News   Jun 17, 2024
 176     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

On-Street Parking Rate set to rise

More expensive to park at Canada's Wonderland. See link..

That's why I park across the street at the strip mall for nothing. There are signs saying you'll be ticketed if you're not a customer to said mall but I've never got one in the dozen times I've done it.

There should be a tax on parking across the city to fund transit

Instead of free parking around shopping malls or strips, they should be pay parking (with the parking tax). Suburban office parks should either be paid parking or it should be a taxable benefit for the employees who come by car.

Suburban office parks should either be paid parking or it should be a taxable benefit for the employees who come by car.

Free and discounted parking is already considered a taxable benefit, but the only thing that's taxable is what a non-employee would pay. If parking is free for the general public, the taxable benefit is $0.

Free and discounted parking is already considered a taxable benefit, but the only thing that's taxable is what a non-employee would pay. If parking is free for the general public, the taxable benefit is $0.
Which is why you don't see a lot of no parking signs on suburban business parks.

That's a pretty silly idea that would only work in downtown.

Haven't been to a suburban hospital have you?

Parking

Parking at Credit Valley Hospital
Parking at Mississauga Hospital
Parking at Queensway Health Centre

Parking fees:
Trillium Health Partners has recently reviewed all of its public parking options for patients and visitors. As a result of this review and the growing demand for health care serviceswe have developed new public parking options in order to provide you and your family with flexible parking options. Day and multi-use now allow for unlimited in-and-out privileges, for 24 hours once the pass is activated, this pass is known as the H PASS. The multi-day H PASS is now transferable between users, allowing up to five people to operate on one pass that is linked to a single account, giving you, your family and visitors more flexibility than ever before.

Users have a 20 minute crossover time, giving patients, families and visitors flexibility to meet inside the hospital, without rushing to exchange their parking pass outside or on the street.

The new public parking options will be in effect starting October 1, 201.​

See link. 30 minutes, $3.00. Daily maximum, $16.00. That's for Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital, and Queensway Health Centre. So if the hospitals in the suburbs can do it, so can the shopping centres and business parks.

Last edited by a moderator:
With food courts and convince stores in hospitals, probably not these days.
Well no one is going to the hospital to visit the food court or convenience stores....they are using the food courts and convenience stores because they are already at the hospital.

If own a mall.....I might have a guy that sells tshirts as a tenant....but he is not likely the only guy in town that sells them....so if I start charging for parking.....his customers will go elsewhere and so will he.

If I run a hospital....the guy inside there that fixes hearts is likely the only guy in town that performs that service....so if someone needs their heart fixed....or if someone needs to visit a loved one that has just had their heart fixed....they kinda have no choice about paying for my parking (parking which, in the modern financing of hospitals, was a big part in getting the hospital built/renovated/expanded in the first place).

People do go out of their way to avoid paying for parking at suburban hospitals....ask anyone that lives on a street anywhere up to about 1km from the hospital...but there is a limit to how many can do that and the hospital parking is used despite the high cost.

Somehow I think you know all this and perhaps are just trying to drive home some point that is not clear to me.

Here's a shocking idea... Instead of complaining about the free parking, why not build infrastructure and allow development so that free parking is no longer economical. That's what happened downtown and in a few other parts of the city - stores realized that (A) they don't depend on drive-in traffic, and (B) people will pay a hefty amount for parking, so they did exactly that.

Forcing businesses to charge for parking is like forcing scales to read out 160 pounds every time you step on it - the government can obviously do it, and it might make certain people happy, but it isn't going to do anything to address the actual problem.

Sheppard subway and the resultant mode split is proof that you can't simply build subway or infrastructure and expect/hope for change by default either. Fundamentally, the suburbs isn't downtown - the density and development patterns (not to mention transit availability) is not going to match the latter.

AoD

Last edited:
Sheppard subway and the resultant mode split is proof that you can't simply build subway or infrastructure and expect/hope for change either. Fundamentally, the suburbs isn't downtown - the density and development patterns (not to mention transit availability) is not going to match the latter.

That's not the whole story. Subway ridership depends on walk-up traffic, which Sheppard has a lot of, but it also depends on feeder routes (Sheppard has very few compared to Yonge-University and Bloor-Danforth), and it depends on people who need transit. The city's heaviest transit usage is in areas that have lots of lower-income residents - Davisville Village, St. Clair and Yonge (on the east side of Yonge), Parkdale, Jane & Weston, St. Clair and Bathurst, East York and Graydon Hall stand out on this map, while North York Centre and Sheppard East have the same percentage using transit, or a higher percentage, than many other areas immediately next to the subway network.

Back