News   Aug 27, 2024
 247     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 465     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 2K     6 

Old Lakeview Power Station lands (Mississauga)

Mississauga Waterfront - No new plant at Lakeview!

No new plant at Lakeview

7a97066648b98c1520869ece76e9.jpeg

RICK EGLINGTON/TORONTO STAR
The Lakeview site in Mississauga is outlined on this picture shot from the air on July 16, 2008. The barren patch at centre is the site of the now-demolished generating station. The east-end Mississauga neighbourhood has been industrialized for decades but this would change under a development proposal.

Rob Ferguson
Brett Popplewell
Staff reporters

The coal is gone, and now gas is out, too.

The province's announcement yesterday that it will not put a gas-fired generator on the site of the demolished coal-fired Lakeview power plant opens the door to a grand, citizen-developed waterfront plan that was enthusiastically endorsed in principle by Mississauga city council in February.

"It's a great day," said a relieved Jim Tovey, president of the Lakeview Ratepayers Association, which was credited by Energy Minister George Smitherman yesterday for helping to influence the decision.

"It's an amazing thing," Tovey said of the group's success in persuading the city not to back another power plant along the lakeshore. "This is a sign that any community can implement positive change. It's just a matter of doing your homework."

The announcement is historic for the east-end Mississauga neighbourhood, which has been industrialized since the late 19th century – first as an artillery range in the 1890s, then as an airstrip in World War I, a munitions factory in World War II, and finally as one of the province's major power producers and the GTA's single worst source of air pollution.

"We're proud of the area's past contributions, but now it's time to move on," Tovey said.

John Danahy, a University of Toronto professor and landscape architect who took charge of the ratepayers association plan, also hailed the announcement.

"I think this is going to be the poster child for smart growth of the province," he said.

At a waterfront news conference, Smitherman said he is ordering the Ontario Power Authority to launch a bidding process for a gas-fired plant elsewhere in the western GTA.

He acknowledged that, while defusing the Lakeview controversy, he is fuelling another because, to use existing transmission lines, a new plant must be placed between east Oakville and west Etobicoke.

Tovey's 800-member group hopes to see 200 hectares of Lakeview industrial land – an area more than two and a half times the size of Exhibition Place – become a thriving mixed-use community, with medium-rise buildings, residential, employment and educational sites, and a "destination" waterfront area devoted to trails, parks, an aquarium or stadium, and a pier with entertainment and educational features. But it's uncertain exactly how much of the group's vision will be realized.

"It has good things in it, but, you know, it's got to be reviewed," Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion said of the citizen-created plan, suggesting the city may not be able to afford the key parcel, an 80-hectare waterfront section owned by Ontario Power Generation.

"It's negotiations with OPG and the province that will determine the plan here."

Danahy said he wasn't surprised McCallion wasn't 100 per cent in favour of the residents' plan.

"I am shocked at how quickly people came to the common sense of this decision because Toronto has been trying to do the same thing (waterfront development) on their lands for 30 years. Like all things initially it had a conceptual vision, and the principles of that is what everyone bought into."

Smitherman suggested Mississauga shouldn't be expecting a cash contribution from the province to develop the land, saying sparing the area from a power plant is enough. "We've already got our dime in."

The Lakeview coal-fired plant, just east of a waterfront park, yacht club and splash park for children, was shut down in 2005.

A woman playing with her children in the splash park near the old plant yesterday called the decision not to build a new one "fabulous."

"We need to clean up the lakeshore," said Debbie O'Neill, who grew up in nearby south Etobicoke and now lives in Oakville.

"It's our way of escaping the city."

Louroz

Well Done Mississauga!

An outdated vision being dressed up as a good decision

Jul 17, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

Mississaugans were no doubt breathing huge sighs of relief yesterday when energy and infrastructure minister George Smitherman announced that a new power generator would not be built on the site of the old Lakeview station.

Now the way is cleared for the revitalization of a major 200-hectare waterfront property. A project such as this has the capacity to transform not just Mississauga, but the region.

Once the old coal-fired facility was closed in 2005, residents started to look at the property with fresh eyes. It didn't take long for them to realize its enormous potential. There's space here to build dense and sustainable mixed-use neighbourhoods, parks, marinas and ice-skating canals, all serviced by public transit.

This is the kind of thing that can help transform a suburb into a city.

And in this case, it was a group of local residents who undertook to draw up plans for the land. Their arguments seem to have woken up politicians and bureaucrats to the possibilities of the site.

Queen's Park has made clear that although it still intends to build a power station somewhere in the general vicinity, it won't be here. The government's argument is that we will need the extra electricity at peak hours – that means during our globally-warmed summers when air-conditioners are blasting away full speed.

That's yesterday's logic, of course, but it prevails in Ontario. While other countries around the world are turning to solar energy to meet residential needs, we remain steadfastly behind the times.

After California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger visited Toronto last year, the Ontario Sustainable Energy Association called on the province to launch a program like the Go Solar California initiative.

The idea is simple; private houses are fitted with solar panels which, when combined with conservation methods, can lead to a 95 per cent reduction in energy bills. Homeowners as well as builders are eligible for state incentives to help cover the extra costs of solar technology. California has put aside $3.3 billion (U.S.) to create 3,000 megawatts of solar energy by 2017.

Similar programs exist in Denmark, Germany and Austria. In all cases, the intention is twofold: First, to create a solar industry and, second, to encourage solar conversions.

Meanwhile, the debate in Ontario will continues to be focused on the location of the next power station. The difference this time is that Queen's Park made the right choice to move the facility off the water's edge.

That wasn't what happened when the province launched the new power facility on Unwin Ave. in Toronto. It's now taking shape and has become the monster everyone feared.

Worst of all, it sits in the middle of what was to have been a residential quarter on Toronto's revitalized waterfront.

So far, Ontarians and their politicians have found it hard to contemplate life after cheap fuel. Given how much of the provincial economy was bound up in the auto sector, perhaps that's no surprise. But that's over now — and rather than cry about the good old days, we should look ahead. The new reality also presents new opportunities.

Until yesterday's announcement, the main difference between the old Lakeview and the new one was the use of natural gas rather than coal.

The former is preferable to the latter, but hardly progressive or innovative.

On the other hand, the decision to build elsewhere represents a rare instance of official common sense. It recognizes that in a post-industrial era, waterfronts are too valuable to squander on power plants.

Mississauagans have reason to cheer. Now they must figure out what to do with the land. That's when the real sparks will be generated.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

Louroz

Mississauga Waterfront

I'm so pleased by this announcement!

Mississauga already has some of the best waterfront parks system in all of the GTA and this site will ensure that tradition will continue and grow well into the future.

Well done!

Louroz

It's good news, and the only sensible decision. There is no need to place a gas-fired plant here.

Now the controversy will begin over whether the Sithe plant should go ahead on Winston Churchill Blvd. The Nimbys are already trying to prevent it, in this industrial district.

that land must be contaminated with heavy metals & higher than normal levels of radioactivity.

Glad to hear the news. I saw that beast far too many times from my window and high school. I can't wait to see that area get revamped into something so much better. Far too much of the Mississauga Waterfront has been left for industry that it's about time to get our revamp. I only hope that they keep the rail line into the Lakeview area since that opens a whole new world of possibilities.

Now the controversy will begin over whether the Sithe plant should go ahead on Winston Churchill Blvd. The Nimbys are already trying to prevent it, in this industrial district.
While I agree in part with your point of heavy industry belonging in an industrial area, the Clarkson Airshed is already one of the most polluted places in the GTA. The Cement and PetroCan Lubricant plants are the source of blame on this one and neither are really looking to relocate. That said, I think if they made a smaller plant the idea would fly much better. I'd rather see a 100 smaller plants in every neighbourhood than one giant one that ruins everything. But that plan isn't economical at all though so...

The idea is simple; private houses are fitted with solar panels which, when combined with conservation methods, can lead to a 95 per cent reduction in energy bills.

Mr. Hume makes it sound easy, but it is a little more complicated than that.

So far, Ontarians and their politicians have found it hard to contemplate life after cheap fuel.

Mr. Hume confuses the price of oil for gasoline with the generation of electricity. There is a difference.

Maybe he should stick to complaining about architecture.

I'm so pleased by this announcement!

Mississauga already has some of the best waterfront parks system in all of the GTA and this site will ensure that tradition will continue and grow well into the future.

Well done!

Louroz

Are you kidding me?

It's getting better, but really there are still large portions of Mississauga's waterfront that is privately held.

Mr. Hume makes it sound easy, but it is a little more complicated than that.

Mr. Hume confuses the price of oil for gasoline with the generation of electricity. There is a difference.

Maybe he should stick to complaining about architecture.
Agreed. It's obvious he knows very little about science. Then again, that's a big problem with all these supposed "urban planners"

This is great news. I just hope that something worthwhile goes in there. Not some more kiddie splash pads.
I'd like to see some kind of tourist attraction. Something to really bring people down there.

Back