News   Aug 27, 2024
 156     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 353     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 664     0 

Old Lakeview Power Station lands (Mississauga)

For those who can't go all the way to Mississauga for tomorrow morning, I suggest hanging around the Humber Bay shore around Palais Royale. The view should be pretty good from there for a more distant look.

Got up too late to get closer, but I did get to see the stacks come down from my place over breakfast (a bit of a distance, but I saw it very clearly). Saw the cloud of smoke and dust linger for 20 minutes afterwards.

It is quite a loss - the stacks were the only thing really worth saving about that plant. I'll miss the many red lights flashing at night and the landmark that they represent.

Won't miss them.

Had it been a brick smokestack, then maybe the story would have been different.

But on the scale that Mississauga operates, they'd always be viewed from a distance....so brick or poured concrete, same landmark-value.

A neat bit of industrial grit, sure. But a positive part of Mississauga and Toronto's lakefront? Hardly. We're better off without them.

Thanks for the video link, thenay.

I think they would have been nice monument-sculptures poking up through whatever gets built, or unbuilt there (like somebody said, like the Gardiner posts in the east). But other than whistful comments on this site, there are other more important things to actually "fight" for, so agreed, mostlly.

I saw them come down this morning - I was surprised how quickly they came down.

This morning about a half a dozen of my friends and I woke early to watch them go down from a parking lot at Mavis and Dundas while sipping on Tim Hortons coffee (How typically suburban again).

We joked that somebody out there will mistaken this as a terrorist attack on Mississauga.

A majority of Mississauga residents I talked to including the Mayor wanted to keep them. I'm sad to see them go. I understand it will be replaced with some new power plant in the future. I've asked the Mayor to lobby for four windmills to create a new landmark on the skyline and restore the "four sisters" theme.

Louroz

FM:

I've asked the Mayor to lobby for four windmills to create a new landmark on the skyline and restore the "four sisters" theme.

That's a marvellous idea - let's hope the local residents are also on side.

AoD

Great idea Future Mayor!!

I watched the stacks come down this morning. It will be strange to look that way now and not see them.

Yeah, that is a pretty neat idea, FM! Now that would be progress!

I thought the new gas power plant in Mississauga was going to be in the Clarkson/Southdown Rd area?

cdl:

I think Sithe Energy gotten MOE approval, but decided not to pursue the project for now.

AoD

Back