News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 903     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 567     0 

Old City Hall Proposals

It could work. Biggest obstacles are achieving the requisite public will - and political will. Taxpayers and politicians alike are going to have to realize that nice things cost. No more pandering to the idea that taxes ought only go go down - and that "the private sector" will always pick up the tab for these glitzy megaprojects.

Is that going to happen? I don't know. So far, in our current climate, it doesn't look good.

Obviously Toronto is too timid to ever do something like this. A bolder city might be up to the challenge. Anyway, it's fun to dream.

There are seven (7) floors to the Old City Hall. Don't know if that count includes the basements.

The lower basement floors should be connected with the PATH network, maybe that's where the retail and restaurants (if any) may be, out of sight. Any lockup facilities left over from the courts, should be converted for councillor uses. The upper floors should be used for civic offices. The main floors should be a Toronto museum.

Why is there so much desire on here for a Toronto museum? The public would basically never attend it, other than urban nerds like us. It would probably be as popular as the Olumpic Spirit Centre. Something that appeals to a broader range of people would be better. I'm not sure what that would be, however.

Why is there so much desire on here for a Toronto museum? The public would basically never attend it, other than urban nerds like us. It would probably be as popular as the Olumpic Spirit Centre. Something that appeals to a broader range of people would be better. I'm not sure what that would be, however.

That's what I have been saying. People are thinking what the city theoretically needs instead of what the people will be using. Most people will likely visit this museum twice in their lives. I don't think that's the best use of this building.

If we did need another mall downtown, it shouldn't be near Eaton Centre. Should be eastside since there isn't much retail at all.

We don't need another furshlugginer mall downtown... not in the east side, anyway. Keep the massive malls in the city centre or in the 'burbs and edge cities, thanks!

A Toronto Museum may be an interesting attraction. Depends upon what they allow to be seen.

I can see an exhibition room titled, "ROB FORD". With appropriate warning message, of course. With exhibits like this video:
repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again, repeated over and over again,...

Lenser: Bonus points for using the term furshlugginer.

We don't need retail space at Old City Hall. We're getting a mall at Union Station, we're getting one at The Well. Along with other retail popping up here and there, good enough for a while.

What we need at Old City Hall—a heritage designated structure and a National Historic Site—is continued civic uses, like a museum, a library, and city cultural offices would make perfect sense. It's a big building, it could hold quite a bit.

PS: More than just UT members and our ilk would visit a Toronto museum.

Is a national portrait gallery still in the works? This would be a perfect location for it. Along with a Toronto Museum, a library and whatever other civic entities need a proper home.

Hmm??, sounds to me like this will become Toronto's next money pit?

Sadly, the interior has gone to seed. Ugly fluorescent lights illuminate its hallways. The baseboards are chipped, the woodwork faded. Some of its old rooms have been converted into modern government offices and courtrooms completely out of sync with the original style of the place. The interior courtyard, sometimes talked of as the future home of a City of Toronto museum, has been turned into a kind of parking lot and loading space. In short, shameless neglect has turned an invaluable piece of Toronto’s heritage into a bit of a dump.

I know it is. The entire prospect is a fantasy. Would it be possible to pull off, though? It would definitely require a lot of planning. It would be a nicer use of that larger plot of land. I can't imagine a more popular place to relax in the city and be so close to everything.

Wow, what colour is the sky in your world dude? You clearly are not posting from or about the city i'm familiar with...

Come on, let's keep the expectations proportionate and let's see if maybe we can at least get NPS right over the next ten years. Beyond that, we would need a tectonic shift in public will and political leadership before very much at all will be achieved that isn't development driven. Remember most of what has been envisioned, achieved and funded over the past ten years or so is due to the PanAm games. There is no such motivation or imperative now (the special interest groups have seen to that)... so good luck with dreaming about a new urban park anywhere soon (that isn't at the base of a condo tower at least)!

Back