News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 931     0 

Oakville custom home architecture

The first of these was designed by Ferris Rafauli who designs a lot of very extravagant looking homes in SE Oakville. The other two might've been by him too since they're in a similar style but I'm not sure. These also look like they used slate roofs.
tVcTXtN.jpg

y4BV7tU.jpg

ksIpNDh.jpg

Last edited:
If it was a major reno, it almost looks like it use to be a garage (although no visible drop in the sidewalk). I agree - it looks odd.
It was and still is the garage.
I guess they didn't want to put larger windows that would allow onlookers to peer into their garage, but they also didn't want a blank wall, so they built this bay in a style that somewhat matches the bay window by the entrance.

It was and still is the garage.
I guess they didn't want to put larger windows that would allow onlookers to peer into their garage, but they also didn't want a blank wall, so they built this bay in a style that somewhat matches the bay window by the entrance.

Needs a better material. It completely detracts from an otherwise quite decent house.

The first of these was designed by Ferris Rafauli who designs a lot of very extravagant looking homes in SE Oakville. The other two might've been by him too since they're in a similar style but I'm not sure. These also look like they used slate roofs.
tVcTXtN.jpg

y4BV7tU.jpg

ksIpNDh.jpg
Is that all precast? Yuck! Precast is terrible.

We obviously can't be sure but I would be surprised if it was precast. Their would little benefit in a single story structure it's just about impossible to get form sides 'trowel smooth'. And the detail would require bespoke forms. Even if it is, it would still have to be skim coated or stuccoed. ICF maybe - with a surface coat.

We obviously can't be sure but I would be surprised if it was precast. Their would little benefit in a single story structure it's just about impossible to get form sides 'trowel smooth'. And the detail would require bespoke forms. Even if it is, it would still have to be skim coated or stuccoed. ICF maybe - with a surface coat.
I don't know enough about different construction methods to tell myself, but I posted a streetview of the first house while they were working on the cladding so maybe you could tell what they were doing from that?

The home was built by the same guy that did Drake's house. Is his house precast?

The second home was Ferris Rafauli too btw (I checked since posting).

The third house in that set was by Coulson Fine Homes.

I don't know enough about different construction methods to tell myself, but I posted a streetview of the first house while they were working on the cladding so maybe you could tell what they were doing from that?

The home was built by the same guy that did Drake's house. Is his house precast?

The second home was Ferris Rafauli too btw (I checked since posting).

The third house in that set was by Coulson Fine Homes.

It's stone (or manufactured/faux) - there is a very quick shot of them lowering a panel into place.

In truth, I mis-read the earlier posts and was thinking 'poured' concrete. Oops. Pre-cast cladding is a thing and the house could quite well have it. T'ain't cheap in either material or labour but by the looks of the house, probably not a concern. So is cut and polished natural stone.

Every time i see a Ferris Rafauli designed home. i think of a Dolly Parton quote, "'It costs a lot of money to look this cheap!'"
I think he's been upping his game though, like I think he definitely did a better job pulling off the opulent look for the house he designed on Chartwell than the one he designed on Lakeshore. I can try to remember to take a picture of those next time I pass by.

Reactions: xy3
These ones are better examples of what you're describing from Rafauli imo.

GHH6PLx.jpg

6MjxN6S.jpg

Backyard of the house above seen from a public walkway.
2wCEKut.jpg

2Ffaj8H.jpg

That last one looks like it should have archers on the roof or something. No doubt some of the designs reflect cultural influences of their owners, but some look like they have a hard time deciding what style they are trying to be.

Back