News   Apr 17, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Oakville custom home architecture

Some more sloped roof homes.

4T9I65j.jpg

stNEsLy.jpg

This one is one of my favorites and one of the earlier examples of the modern architecture boom in SE Oakville (built in the early-mid 00s I think?):
Z5Elyqd.jpg

7SQXQ6i.jpg

Last edited:
This one's flat roofed again, but with somewhat different cladding than the previous ones.
ZZwpUjS.jpg

Ranch house renovated to fit in with the current modern style.
2Kz0RBu.jpg

There's also quite a few houses in the last couple years that have been getting built with a mix of modern and neo-traditional design elements. Ex:
VvyuzRr.jpg

I'm actually not sure if this house is from the post 2000 boom or not. It's at least 13 years old based on streetview. I like this style quite a lot though.
gzTczu1.jpg

Edit: this is reference to your initial post with sloped roofs above

That first one is both ugly and has the same flawed design elements as a lot of these flat-roofed cube collections, but the other two are perfect examples of what you want in a roof in a climate such as ours.

The middle one is a bit busy and the more planes and angle intersections you have, the more likely trouble is, but that bottom one is a perfectly simple structure and even looks the best of the three.

See that? Form and function come together perfectly. It's not that hard.

And besides, who builds a driveway with a right angle (pic 4 in last group - #1172)? Do you want to drive over the garden?
You mean pic 3 with the street number #1173? I don't remember anymore but from the picture it looks like the driveway was 2 lanes wide in the front yard and then they reduced it to 1 lane so that the driveway could squeeze by the porch and reach the garage at the side of the house.

It's hard for me to pin down when these three houses were built based on appearance alone.

If I had to guess, I'd say this one was part of the initial phase of suburbanization in the 1950s, but it could be newer too.
iOxmcyE.jpg

Based off streetview, this one was built around 2008-2009.
T13DjR6.jpg

My best guess for this one would be 90s-00s.
pL7aa9I.jpg

What are your guesses based on?

What the hell is going on with those sloped portions of the canopy on the third one? It should have been terminated at the same plane along the width of it and capped with a nice metal finish.

What are your guesses based on?

What the hell is going on with those sloped portions of the canopy on the third one? It should have been terminated at the same plane along the width of it and capped with a nice metal finish.
Those houses are both from a street where the original homes were probably built around 1952-1953 based off historic aerials.

The first one seems to be in the vinyl clad "colonial style" that was popular in the 1950s. It was definitely already there in 2007 based off streetview. However, homes from the 1950s typically didn't bother with such big porches. Now that I think of it, I wonder if the garage and porch were the result of some newer (90s to pre-07) renovation.

As for the third, it's also pre-2007 based off streetview. The original subdivision homes from the early 50s didn't look like that. And yellow stucco like that was pretty popular in the early 00s I think. As for the canopy, I think they made "cut outs" into it so that there would be space for those taller windows. There's a 1-2 ft deep flat roofed section in front of the window which is not as apparent due to the snow.

These three houses are an example of another style that's very popular with custom homes here. I'd say it peaked in popular just before modern architecture took off, although they're still being built today in decent quantities. I believe they mostly use fiber cement/hardie board rather than vinyl, and have elements of what I've seen described as "Nantucket style" or "Cape Cod style" housing. I haven't seen them as much in Toronto though (unlike modern style homes or the more typical neo-classical "chateau" style homes).

IJhZbn7.jpg

TBwNd2V.jpg

5W0kOi1.jpg

Some more examples of what I was considering the Nantucket/Cape Cod style homes. Key features including cool colours (grey, blue, green), cladding that looks like wood (I think usually fiber cement, but maybe a few use real wood), occasionally with some stone clad portions, large porches, sloped roofs typically with dormer windows or gables, and wood columns. Overall, their features give them a more humble appearance than the "chateau" style homes that were the dominant style a few years earlier.

bpi9vNM.jpg

HgyfukI.jpg

hxZ1Q2e.jpg

The "maritime" style of home seen in southern Oakville, Burlington, and in certain parts of Mississauga seems to be inspired by the proximity to the lake. You don't see it quite as often north of the QEW.

I like those ones. Not least because of the use of natural materials for the facade....the roofs are a disgrace though. (Asphalt shingles....gross)

I like those ones. Not least because of the use of natural materials for the facade....the roofs are a disgrace though. (Asphalt shingles....gross)
What are your thoughts on the different kinds of roofing? SE Oakville custom homes have asphalt of course, but there's a decent amount that use metal standing seam, some with metal tiles, I think some with cedar (?) and even a few that seem to use slate (mostly just ultra-high end). I can't think of any that use clay tile, for whatever reason those seem to be very uncommon around here.

Back