News   Oct 02, 2024
 212     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 371     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 746     0 

NYT: An Effort to Save a City by Shrinking It (Flint, MI)

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/business/22flint.html?_r=1&hp

FLINT, Mich. — Dozens of proposals have been floated over the years to slow this city’s endless decline. Now another idea is gaining support: speed it up.

Instead of waiting for houses to become abandoned and then pulling them down, local leaders are talking about demolishing entire blocks and even whole neighborhoods.

The population would be condensed into a few viable areas. So would stores and services. A city built to manufacture cars would be returned in large measure to the forest primeval.

“Decline in Flint is like gravity, a fact of life,†said Dan Kildee, the Genesee County treasurer and chief spokesman for the movement to shrink Flint. “We need to control it instead of letting it control us.â€

The recession in Flint, as in many old-line manufacturing cities, is quickly making a bad situation worse. Firefighters and police officers are being laid off as the city struggles with a $15 million budget deficit. Many public schools are likely to be closed.

“A lot of people remember the past, when we were a successful city that others looked to as a model, and they hope. But you can’t base government policy on hope,†said Jim Ananich, president of the Flint City Council. “We have to do something drastic.â€

In searching for a way out, Flint is becoming a model for a different era.

Full Article

Makes sense to me. If you're suffering from hypothermia, your body starts cutting off circulation to your extremities. It makes no sense to pump water or collect garbage or run school buses in areas that are approaching exurban densities thanks to decades of decline.

I would rather that Detroit and Flint go gracefully into the night as compact, vibrant cities of 500,000 and 50,000 than have those same populations scattered across some patchwork of ruins and urban prairie. It's wasteful for the cities and it's alienating for the residents.

That, and Cleveland (which still has many vibrant areas or areas with great potential, but some nabes that are approaching Detroit-level bleakness). I wonder if the same should go for small parts of Buffalo (a classic sprawl-without-growth rust belt city), like some areas where the Kensington Freeway passes through.

Well, Youngstown, Ohio was just about the first most prominent in adopting the "controlled shrinkage" tactic, no?

In Ontario, between 2001 and 2006, none of the major cities or towns actually lost population, though Thunder Bay has tended to trickle a bit downwards from time to time. I don't think we have a candidate for Flinticization in Ontario.

That's hardly the same situation.

Particularly as stuff like this could just as well have been happening when Windsor was *booming*--or at least, like a few years ago, being ahead of the national curve economically...

Back