News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 863     0 

Nuit Blanche

Several UTGA members ( FutureMayor, jaborandi, BuildTO, interchange42, SimplyDan, Darkstar, myself ) and a gaggle of our gay friends met up at 11 p.m. in the village. Several of us were very disappointed with what we'd seen up to that point.

The thing I'd wanted to see at the Distillery District was cancelled. Apart from a couple of dancers rolling around the floor in the Clear Spirit sales centre it was pretty awful.

Nothing live at the FSCPA, just an old National Ballet documentary with very few watching.

OCAD had a faculty and alumni show that was a less engaging use of the space than what they did last year. There were some interesting things happening in the Sharp Centre, and films in Butterfield Park, but the Grange Park happening was vacuous compared to the forum they had there last year. On McCaul, the tinfoil cornfield and the never-ending feast next to it were kinda fun, but the Beaver Hall exhibition seemed to show how terribly low the quality has fallen this year.

Passed by the video at the Italian Cultural Institute, and the back-projected patterns on the windows of George Brown House without any sense of engagement with either - though if I'd had more time I would have spent time at the former.

No Chinese dance at the Cecil Street Community Centre, despite several visits.

Dreary alien landing thingy, sparsely attended, at Queen's Park.

Then met up with the UTGA lads near the disappointing "red light district" on Church Street. Nothing live happening at the National Ballet School, just a film - just as embarrassing as the FSCPA. Could they perhaps at least try next year?

Later: The dumpster was delightful, as were the balloon maze and cloudscape in the Eaton Centre. The things that worked best were the simplest, most colourful, most direct, and most anarchic. A big disappointment compared to last year in terms of the quality of the work.

Yeah I agree with SNF and US's thoughts: the art was timid, the artists are timid (in art school I was rather timid too as were most of my peers.) A very polite reserved Toronto event. The real art and beauty was seeing so many GTAer's enjoying the city, the throngs of people. My friends were not impressed with the art. The UofT alien landing was amateurish and timid: why wasn't the audience leaping over the baricades?

It all felt so left wing PC--with an added dose of conservative corporate "sheep" values.

But shopping for a girl friend was never made easier;)

Considering the power of art to surprise, shock and stimulate - and the mood of licensed anarchy that this thing had last year - I hope it'll be a lot more adventurous next time.

People go out on Halloween expecting things to be wild - within predictable limits - but the advantage of Nuit Blanche, when it happens as it should, is that art isn't predictable.

The dumpster hotel worked on many levels. Not just the absurdity of the situation and the grotty location, but the voyeurism of people climbing the dumpster to peek over and becoming part of the event, and the ever-changing guests and their hotel antics, and the fact that the "hotel" staff played it with a straight face throughout the evening. They tidied the room after the guests, maintained a nice front desk, gave beauty treatments in the spa dressed in white, cleaned the spa before each new guest ...

I saw the silent movie in the Bader Theatre. Is that Istvan Kantor's wife? It had the most spectacular description in the program. It was a wolf and a deer in a white room, absolutely silent, and it was 2 minutes long on a continuous loop. Nothing actually happens. They just stand there looking at one another.

Any thoughts about the floating installation at the McKinsey Building on Charles St. West? I am not sure of the artistic value but architecturally it is interesting and got me thinking about the possibilities.

Did the deer appear nervous?

Very nervous - the wolf looked like Mae West after asking Beulah to peel her a grape.

The Vivien Reiss show at the Japan Foundation was quite good as was The Revenge on Togitatsu, a dvd screening of the Kabuki play (with Kabuki star Kanzaburo XVIII) was very entertaining. Unfortunately, there was much to-ing & fro-ing in the audience and there was a distraction by a woman in front of us who had a clear plastic tube which kept flashing red stuck in her hair. Perhaps she was a art installation that had escaped from Church Street.

Otherwise, I thought the enthusiasm of the crowds on the street was the main story. It certainly showed an enthusiasm for this kind of event, but alas for the most part, the enthusiasm yielded little reward.

Any thoughts about the floating installation at the McKinsey Building on Charles St. West? I am not sure of the artistic value but architecturally it is interesting and got me thinking about the possibilities.

To have described it as a floating sales office was a stretch.

Here's how they should have planned this: undersell it in the ad, and when your audience shows up, delight them by being more inventive than you led them to expect.

Instead they delivered something that did not live up to the expectations they encouraged.

So much for my imagination. I'm going to quit using it, and it's all thanks to these guys...

I find it funny that people waited in line. It was an all night event. Around 4 the lines were gone and it was easy access to everything. The only complaint from me was the good exhibits were too spread out. It would be nice if they made a list of everything worth seeing for us instead of wasting time getting to the not so good things.

A big MEH to Nuit Blanche from me. It was insanely overhyped.

The best part was seeing the enormous crowds. Toronto is a vibrant city, and that was proven once again.

The art was under-whelming and hard to find; people-watching was much more interesting.

There was a huge crowd in the Yorkville park when I came out of the movies on Saturday night. And Bloor was unusally crowded as well.

Back