News   Apr 23, 2024
 205     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 716     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 447     0 

Nuit Blanche

Shouldn't they be moving this further up the calender rather than back? Year one was rainy, year two was chilly...and this year? *fingers crossed*

I guess we generally get nice weather through to October...but, wouldn't it be a surer bet in late August / early September?

It probably has more to do with the sheer number of events already in Toronto from May-September.

Despite getting wet I think the rain added to the first one in ways I can't quite explain. I have no recollection of last year's being particularly cold, just a regular late-September evening.

Still, I'm not sure why there's been a 1-week push, but I'm sure it has something to do with something else happening the previous weekend.

I specifically remember the weather from last years as being an early fall type of night, where only a hoodie would have been needed.

There hasn't been a push in the date.

It always takes place the weekend before thanksgiving.

As for the timinig of the event, it was placed there to act as a major fall anchor to drive tourism, hence the large investment by the Ontario Cultural Attractions Fund.

As Darkstar pointed out, if you look at the Toronto Events Calendar, starting with LuminaTO in the first week of June, then Pride, Caribana, CNE, Taste - every weekend until the end of the September with the Film Festival has a major special event or sporting event taking place.

Louroz

Darkstar pointed out, if you look at the Toronto Events Calendar, starting with LuminaTO in the first week of June, then Pride, Caribana, CNE, Taste - every weekend until the end of the September with the Film Festival has a major special event or sporting event taking place.

I think the city should reorganize that calendar. An all-night art event belongs at a time of year when you can be almost 100% sure that the weather will be awesome. The weather for the last two years hasn't been awesome.

An art event that's intended to take place solely at night benefits from a hot summer night, not as much from a brisk fall.

I'm kinda surprised by how many people are ambivalent about where in the year / weather this falls.

frankly, night is sometimes the only bearable time during the summer. Rather than take advantage of amazingly awesome, clear, 25C nights - we'd prefer to subject everyone to 10C. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Why can't a single night of out-and-about-art not overlap with the nearly month-long summerlicious festival? What a great night out that would be.

10 degrees? it was much warmer last year. it was a bit cooler when i was up on the open deck of the CN tower, but i thought the temperature was great especially when there's lots of walking to do.

10 degrees? it was much warmer last year. it was a bit cooler when i was up on the open deck of the CN tower, but i thought the temperature was great especially when there's lots of walking to do.

To be precise, it was 13.5C :)

Anyway, it's when it is because all the Nuit Blanches are that night - though I'm not sure that's an important detail at all.

sounds like this year will be better than last year.
went with a bunch of friends thinking it would be fun, but a lot of the exhibits were lame (like the balloon 'maze' at the mall) and too far apart

with nuit blanche coming up this weekend, i finally decided all the places i want to visit.

Zone A

1 - Stereoscope, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West

2 - Into the Blue, Toronto Eaton Centre, 220 Yonge

3 - Domaine de l'angle #2, Masey Hall, 178 Victoria Street (Alley beside Massey Hall off of Shuter Street)

4 - Fifteen Seconds, Yonge-Dundas Square (South-east corner of Yonge Street and Dundas Street East)

6 - Zombies in Condoland, College Park, 444 Yonge Street

7 - Without Persons, Maple Leaf Gardens, 60 Carlton Street

10 - Waterfall, Ontario Power Generation Building, 700 University Avenue

15 - House of Leaves, Ryerson University Student Centre, 55 Gould Street (between the Student Campus Centre & O’Keefe House)

Zone C

6 - Overflow, Former Prison Chapel, East Liberty Street and Lynn Williams Street

11 - SMASH! Droppin' Stuff, Parking lot at 60 Atlantic Avenue, north of Artscape

12 - Urban Voice Oscillator, 135 Liberty Street, Corner of Liberty Street and Pardee Avenue

Back