News   Apr 18, 2024
 708     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.4K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...flaws-inside-public-health-that-hurt-canadas/

A detailed account of Canada’s pandemic warning system and it’s demise under the Harper and Trudeau governments. Shameless tragedy.

Anti-science budget cutting and shift from expertise to patronage appointments under Harper guts the system. Trudeau continues this tradition adding a prioritization on vacuous virtue signaling as the primary government mandate over substance and a bizarre potentially corrupt fixation on Chinese political appeasement. Dude then has the gall to then say he only regrets the lack of PPE preparedness in their pandemic preparedness response which wasn’t his fault anyways. Nice cynically calculated misdirection point.

Canada goes from sustaining 20% of the entire global pandemic response and early warning system to incompetence in two Federal government cycles.

I don't get it either. It makes sense that amenities and related facilities should be closed, but I fail to see the difference between X-C skiing and snowshoeing vs. downhill. Then again, I don't get why you can buy dry goods at Walmart but not at small retailers. It must be me.

I think it is because of the communal atmosphere associated with skiing and snowboarding. It's not just act of skiing and snowboarding but the contact with the staff, the close contact nature of the lifts and the facilities in the villages.

Skiing and snowboarding are something you do communally not alone hence the potential issue.

They are also outdoor activities where the risk of transmission is greatly reduced. You can reduce capacity, not allow people from different households to sit together on the lifts, close indoor facilities, etc and still allow these facilities to operate. It’s no more risky than the crowds of people tobogganing or skating.

They are also outdoor activities where the risk of transmission is greatly reduced. You can reduce capacity, not allow people from different households to sit together on the lifts, close indoor facilities, etc and still allow these facilities to operate. It’s no more risky than the crowds of people tobogganing or skating.

True. My memories of Blue Mountain involved hotboxing it in a 50 celsius sauna for an hour with a bottle of 76% vodka and some reasonably priced "greens". Ended up going full kool-aid man bursting through the door naked, ran out the front door and through 4 feet of snow.

My boss (it was a company event) drove behind me and videotaped it for "insurance purposes". They found me rocking and shaking in a snowbank.

Amazingly I was not fired.

I think it is because of the communal atmosphere associated with skiing and snowboarding. It's not just act of skiing and snowboarding but the contact with the staff, the close contact nature of the lifts and the facilities in the villages.

Skiing and snowboarding are something you do communally not alone hence the potential issue.

My brother has a seasonal passes at Blue (or one of the C'Wood area hills - I can't remember). He was told (pre latest lockdown) that all the related facilities would be closed and you could only lift with your bubble (so he would ride alone in a six-seater), so the operators were willing to suck that up to keep operating. It seems the hills were willing to make if work if allowed. He has decided to take them up on their offer to port over his pass to next year without penalty, figuring he wouldn't get his money's worth out of it this year (also based on his prediction of an up-and-down weather pattern).

If the social aspect is more important than the skiing, then some would have been disappointed.

From link.

Data gathered by Ryan Imgrund, a biostatistician who consults with public-health agencies in Ontario, show that the most-populous province has the lowest per capita vaccination rate. Mr. Imgrund said the numbers breakdown to 76 people per 100,000 getting their shots in Ontario and 106 per 100,000 in Alberta. Both provinces are well behind Prince Edward Island, which has inoculated 939 people per 100,000, according to Mr. Imgrund’s data.

Alexandra Hilkene, a spokesperson for Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott, tied the lower vaccination rate to staffing. “Schedules for vaccination clinics were adjusted over the holidays to ensure that there was no impact on staffing levels,” she said.

Dr. Morris said vaccine strategy is the latest example of Ontario’s halting response to the pandemic.

“They should absolutely be administering them faster,” he said. “Almost every step of the way, we haven’t been [acting] with the urgency that the response requires, that’s my belief, and we’ve seen this repeatedly. So, in Ontario, we had a delay of lockdown for five days until Boxing Day, and that kind of urgency is reflected on, similarly, how many vaccines have been administered so far.”

Canada has approved vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna. The federal government is expecting to receive a total of six million doses of the two vaccines by the end of March. The vaccines are distributed to the provinces and territories to administer on a per-capita basis....

Ontario is reporting 2,553 cases and 41 deaths Tues & 1,939 cases and 37 deaths Mon. The 7-day avg. is at 2,236 cases a day or 108 cases weekly per 100,000. Labs have 34,112 completed tests w. 9.7% positive Tues; 39,565 completed w. 8.6% positive Mon.

Lockdown doesn't mean go on vacation or visit family for the holidays people :rolleyes: Unless it's an absolute emergency, no one should be flying.

I did "visit" my family this Christmas, but it was on zoom/skype.

Back