News   Apr 26, 2024
 229     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 266     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 461     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Well, if any of those 42 dies, and it's traceable to the unvaccinated person, there should really be a press for at minimum manslaughter charges. We've done the same for knowingly transmitting HIV. Johnson Aziga in fact, was convicted on 1st degree murder charges.
You don't need death; offences such as Criminal Negligence come to mind. However, "traceable" would be only one of the hard parts. To meet the threshold of criminal liability, you would need more than the fact that they were unvaccinated and in the presence or general proximity of a victim. Even with HIV, the Supreme Court laid out parameters such as knowledge of infection, viral load, and HIV is, for want of a better term, a 'one-on-one' transmission, not a general airborne one. Other liabilities, criminal or otherwise, may be relevant if it can be established that the 'patron one' took active steps to fake their status and mislead the restauranteur to gain entry.

You don't need death; offences such as Criminal Negligence come to mind. However, "traceable" would be only one of the hard parts. To meet the threshold of criminal liability, you would need more than the fact that they were unvaccinated and in the presence or general proximity of a victim. Even with HIV, the Supreme Court laid out parameters such as knowledge of infection, viral load, and HIV is, for want of a better term, a 'one-on-one' transmission, not a general airborne one. Other liabilities, criminal or otherwise, may be relevant if it can be established that the 'patron one' took active steps to fake their status and mislead the restauranteur to gain entry.
I think if they knowingly had any of the symptoms or 1st person contact, that would probably be enough liability for a charge, given the circumstances of the pandemic. We've been told for nearly two years that if you have any hint of symptom or contact, stay home. Knowingly going against that should be more than enough to get a charge to stick. Especially considering it's just to attend a party.

Vaccine against COVID-19 for animals

There are no vaccines against COVID-19 available in Canada for animals (the non-primate kind). There's no evidence that vaccinating animals with vaccines for other coronaviruses will protect against COVID-19.

See link.

There's currently limited information on animals and COVID-19, especially on whether animals can spread the virus. In most circumstances, people are infecting animals (human-to-animal transmission).

According to the World Organisation for Animal Health, there haven't been any reports of pets spreading COVID-19 to people. However, reports from the Netherlands and Denmark suggest that mink have infected some workers on mink farms. This is an area that continues to be studied.

The Public Health Agency of Canada tracks and analyzes research and case reports from around the world on COVID-19 and animals.

The table below summarizes our current knowledge about which animals:
  • can get infected with COVID-19 through natural exposure in the environment
  • may be able to infect humans

Some animals may get sick and show signs of illness, such as:
  • fever
  • fatigue
  • sneezing
  • coughing
  • loss of appetite
  • difficulty breathing
  • vomiting or diarrhea

Today's reports 928 new cases, those in hospital have a huge jump, which seems common on Tuesdays (do hospitals not report on weekends?)

1638892604542.png

Today's reports 928 new cases, those in hospital have a huge jump, which seems common on Tuesdays (do hospitals not report on weekends?)

View attachment 367637
Do you have or know where I can find the hospitalization numbers leading up to our third wave?

I'm just curious when we should start to get worried.

Right now, to me, things still look manageable and steady. Am I wrong?

Do you have or know where I can find the hospitalization numbers leading up to our third wave?

I'm just curious when we should start to get worried.

Right now, to me, things still look manageable and steady. Am I wrong?

I think the science table is released the projections (see below) and there will be a press conference later this afternoon?

1638894333477.png

One thing to note is that it isn't clear the "current behaviour" used in the projection captures the effect of the widespread return-to-office in January.

AoD

Last edited:
I think if they knowingly had any of the symptoms or 1st person contact, that would probably be enough liability for a charge, given the circumstances of the pandemic. We've been told for nearly two years that if you have any hint of symptom or contact, stay home. Knowingly going against that should be more than enough to get a charge to stick. Especially considering it's just to attend a party.
Perhaps under public health legislation/orders or Emergency Act orders (I haven't looked) but for criminal liability the threshold is much higher.

Here's the Criminal Code definition of Criminal Negligence:

• 219 (1) Every one is criminally negligent who
    • (a) in doing anything, or
    • (b) in omitting to do anything that it is his duty to do,
    • shows wanton or reckless disregard for the lives or safety of other persons.
  • Definition of duty
    (2) For the purposes of this section, duty means a duty imposed by law.

It would be an interesting prosecution.

Today, Mayor John Tory was joined by Councillor Joe Cressy, Chair of the Toronto Board of Health, to unveil a new illuminated Team Toronto pink bandage that has temporarily been added to the Toronto Sign at Nathan Phillips Square.

The pink bandage has been the emblem of the City’s COVID-19 vaccination campaign since last January when the City began to roll out its vaccination plans. The emblem has appeared in all City advertising, in communications materials, on signage and stickers handed out at City-run vaccination clinics and has symbolized the efforts to promote and encourage vaccination against COVID-19.

With Health Canada’s approval of the vaccine for kids aged five to 11, adding the pink bandage to the Toronto sign is intended to encourage parents and caregivers to vaccinate their kids, as well as encourage all those who are eligible for their first, second and booster doses to take that next step.

There is no reason to limit gatherings at this point. Hospitals are managing, and the risk to fully-vaccinated people is minimal. But, if cases increase to the point where hospitals are again at risk, then people should refrain from whining and accept any reasonable steps that are taken to solve the problem. Of course, with the arrival of the omicron variant, it would be desirable to avoid gatherings altogether, but that won't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no reason to limit gatherings at this point. Hospitals are managing, and the risk to fully-vaccinated people is minimal. But, if cases increase to the point where hospitals are again at risk, then people should refrain from whining and accept any reasonable steps that are taken to solve the problem. Of course, with the arrival of the omicron variant, it would be desirable to avoid gatherings altogether, but that won't happen.
Which do you mean? You say : "There is no reason to limit gatherings at this point". and "Of course, with the arrival of the omicron variant, it would be desirable to avoid gatherings altogether..."

Which do you mean? You say : "There is no reason to limit gatherings at this point". and "Of course, with the arrival of the omicron variant, it would be desirable to avoid gatherings altogether..."
It does sound contradictory! I mean there is no scientific reason to limit gatherings right now, but I personally believe it would be desirable to avoid them due to the omicron variant. Then again, I am an introvert, so blaming the pandemic for avoiding gatherings is a dream come true!

Last edited:

Back