News   Apr 25, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 956     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

There was a fire at the Novotel (Esplanade) yesterday, God only knows it will cost to give it back in good shape. Millions and millions spent to keep them safe but they can't look after themselves. Wonder how many shelter users are vaccinated.
This is really not what this thread is about - that said, there are rumours that the owners want to renew the lease until spring 2022 and then rebuild the whole place - no doubt much taller!

This is really not what this thread is about - that said, there are rumours that the owners want to renew the lease until spring 2022 and then rebuild the whole place - no doubt much taller!

Don't tell @Towered, the excitement for Toronto's tallest ever Flat-Iron will be overwhelming!

(good natured poke) LOL

There was a fire at the Novotel (Esplanade) yesterday, God only knows it will cost to give it back in good shape. Millions and millions spent to keep them safe but they can't look after themselves. Wonder how many shelter users are vaccinated.

This also happened at the Bond Place Hotel (also a temporary shelter) in February. Judging by the people I see there on a regular basis, I doubt any of them are.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...-in-two-alarm-fire-at-downtown-toronto-hotel/

The Super 8 Hotel in Guelph was used as a shelter, and it was set on fire by a resident.. A woman was charged with arson. Some of the guests staying there were displaced from another hotel used as a shelter in Kitchener, that was also set on fire a few months before.

The Super 8 Hotel in Guelph was used as a shelter, and it was set on fire by a resident.. A woman was charged with arson. Some of the guests staying there were displaced from another hotel used as a shelter in Kitchener, that was also set on fire a few months before.
These temporary shelters are accommodating people who are clearly not able to function very well in the real world; that's not their fault but we really should not be surprised if some of them set fire to things (on purpose or accidently) or shoot-up at the front door or wander around swearing and begging. Is it better they are in these temporary shelters (where there IS at least minimal help available) or in a tent encampment (where there is not, really) or in an 'institution' as would have been the case 40 years ago??

These temporary shelters are accommodating people who are clearly not able to function very well in the real world; that's not their fault but we really should not be surprised if some of them set fire to things (on purpose or accidently) or shoot-up at the front door or wander around swearing and begging. Is it better they are in these temporary shelters (where there IS at least minimal help available) or in a tent encampment (where there is not, really) or in an 'institution' as would have been the case 40 years ago??

I met a homeless gentlemen last winter at the bus stop. January or February of this year. It was extremely cold out, i bought the guy a coffee and i gave him a few bucks. I asked him why he doesn't go to one of the hotel shelters? He said, he wasn't allowed to bring his shopping cart where he keeps all his things, all his personal belongings are in that cart. And there’s no access to food there.

Paywalled, but Canadian Medical Association is recommending Alberta and Saskatchewan lock down. But of course the politicians know better than the doctors who are living through the frontlines in this war.

I met a homeless gentlemen last winter at the bus stop. January or February of this year. It was extremely cold out, i bought the guy a coffee and i gave him a few bucks. I asked him why he doesn't go to one of the hotel shelters? He said, he wasn't allowed to bring his shopping cart where he keeps all his things, all his personal belongings are in that cart. And there’s no access to food there.

This is why shelters need to be transitioned to SRO (single-room-occupancy); which is pretty close to the modular housing model.

The rationale is this, its a small, private, one-room space, probably with its own, very small bathroom; this allows someone a secure place to store their goods, booze/drugs etc, to use in private, to not be kicked out cause its morning etc etc.

They get a key or better still a key card to their room; and no one else can get in except staff, and then only under certain extenuating circumstances.

The model has a host of benefits; it not only induces people off the street, and provides them greater dignity, privacy, and security; it does that for everyone else in the facility too. When you have facilities of 4 to 10 or more per room, one person's muttering, snoring or sleeplessness can affect everyone else.

Bonus here, separate rooms significantly reduces transmission of disease, it also makes it much easier to give someone a fixed address allowing them to get much needed ID and access a host of government programs/supports.

That type of housing should still be transitional to a normal apartment for anyone capable of sustaining same; but its a much improved interim situation.

Separately, we do need to offer additional institutional care for those unsuited to living on their own. That care needs to be of a higher, and more dignified standard that has been the case historically, with as much personal freedom as possible.

The hotel model, if its one person to a room should allow the storage of goods that would fit in a shopping cart; of course, they wouldn't let you take the cart itself to the room. That may require a more innovative solution, ranging from a locker-like space, to agreeing to get someone another cart if they have to leave the premises.

This is why shelters need to be transitioned to SRO (single-room-occupancy); which is pretty close to the modular housing model.

The rationale is this, its a small, private, one-room space, probably with its own, very small bathroom; this allows someone a secure place to store their goods, booze/drugs etc, to use in private, to not be kicked out cause its morning etc etc.

They get a key or better still a key card to their room; and no one else can get in except staff, and then only under certain extenuating circumstances.

The model has a host of benefits; it not only induces people off the street, and provides them greater dignity, privacy, and security; it does that for everyone else in the facility too. When you have facilities of 4 to 10 or more per room, one person's muttering, snoring or sleeplessness can affect everyone else.

Bonus here, separate rooms significantly reduces transmission of disease, it also makes it much easier to give someone a fixed address allowing them to get much needed ID and access a host of government programs/supports.

That type of housing should still be transitional to a normal apartment for anyone capable of sustaining same; but its a much improved interim situation.

Separately, we do need to offer additional institutional care for those unsuited to living on their own. That care needs to be of a higher, and more dignified standard that has been the case historically, with as much personal freedom as possible.

The hotel model, if its one person to a room should allow the storage of goods that would fit in a shopping cart; of course, they wouldn't let you take the cart itself to the room. That may require a more innovative solution, ranging from a locker-like space, to agreeing to get someone another cart if they have to leave the premises.
Maybe follow the Japanese microapartment model...

image_a.jpg

See link.

See also this link.
192545.jpg

I can't understand why they forbade him. What's bad about it? If they could help him choose which things to leave, I think this approach would be wiser.

Pope Francis to Require Vaccination or Negative COVID-19 Tests From Vatican Staff - Report​

From link.

The Vatican is preparing to introduce mandatory vaccinations or regular COVID-19 testing among the Holy See’s personnel, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

High-ranked Vatican officials will reportedly be required to comply with the rules, planned to come into force on October 1. Those who fail to provide a vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 test would be considered as “unjustly absent” and deprived of salary.

Earlier, reports said that a vaccination skeptic in the College of Cardinals had been hospitalized with the coronavirus.

Wonder how many will still refuse to look into the "telescope"?

galileo-telescope.jpg
From link.

Back